First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Like I said before, if your truck is going in for service and they're going to do the 23B57 powertrain update, best to clean out the center console and the box, because it might be sitting for a while if the BECM update discovers one or more cells out of tolerance and the truck has to sit until it gets fixed.
That's my plan, wondering if I'd be better served to defer having them do this update and wait for the OTA, but then again, the crush of ~problems~ popping up en masse later could make the service backlog worse.
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
For anybody wondering why this powertrain update might cause your truck to suddenly throw a wrench and FP alerts afterwards...

Like I said before, if your truck is going in for service and they're going to do the 23B57 powertrain update, best to clean out the center console and the box, because it might be sitting for a while if the BECM update discovers one or more cells out of tolerance and the truck has to sit until it gets fixed.
This is good info, thanks.

I'm kinda pissed...I bought a certified Lightning last Friday and learned of this open campaign after registering my Ford account. Why the heck didn't they do this before selling it to me?

Last edited:

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
For anybody wondering why this powertrain update might cause your truck to suddenly throw a wrench and FP alerts afterwards...

The focus of this update was tightening the allowed variance between cell packs. For those whose truck immediately threw the flag right after the update...you had a problem and didn't know it. So it's annoying but good to know it was caught in time.

Oh, I thought it just made the failure state softer, i.e. still drivable in limp mode. Glad mine made it through!

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's my plan, wondering if I'd be better served to defer having them do this update and wait for the OTA, but then again, the crush of ~problems~ popping up en masse later could make the service backlog worse.
Do we know which OTA it is for sure? Sounds like 6.2.0 based on some instant failures after update?

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well your entire battery pack might cost that much but not individual cells certainly.
Entire pack MSRP is like $30K. This price sounds plausible for a module.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Do we know which OTA it is for sure? Sounds like 6.2.0 based on some instant failures after update?
I'm at 6.2.0 now, but the OTA for 23b57 has not been packaged and distributed yet

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Entire pack MSRP is like $30K. This price sounds plausible for a module.
I was poking through parts at one of my local dealer's online catalogues. Looks like they're a bit more than that.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1699303752403

And the module prices depend on placement and pack size.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1699303800415

Source LINK. LINK

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I was poking through parts at one of my local dealer's online catalogues. Looks like they're a bit more than that.

1699303752403.png

And the module prices depend on placement and pack size.

1699303800415.png

Source LINK. LINK
They do indeed...I'll wait till they show up on Amazon...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This CSP was completed on my truck today, the technician reports that the reprogramming is done, no additional concerns with the battery pack.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I had body work done at Landmark Ford in Tigard (excellent by the way); and asked them to perform the 23B57 "recall". The notes of the work states they reprogrammed BECM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, PCM, and SOBDM to latest software levels per recall.

No effect to truck that I can determine.

It would be nice if the reprogram of the PCM also involved changing the DC-DC converter logic to have the DC-DC converter top off the 12v battery sooner, when it is at a higher level of charge. Thoughts?

Sponsored

BoltUp

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
This CSP was completed on my truck today, the technician reports that the reprogramming is done, no additional concerns with the battery pack.
I had the CSP 23B57 completed on Monday (11/13) and picked up truck on Tuesday (11/14). Was told the same thing by service advisor, but advised that a service warning and wrench may appear after a few days. Received a call later on Tuesday from Ford Recall Concierge Team representative who seemed surprised that battery module did not need replacement. Well 48 hours later I received the service warning and wrench along with battery operating at a reduced level (53%). In the process now of getting dealer service department to schedule service. Ford should really save the back and forth inconvenience and just replace the battery module Instead of attempting the software update returning the truck to customer only to return back to have battery module replaced.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

It would be nice if the reprogram of the PCM also involved changing the DC-DC converter logic to have the DC-DC converter top off the 12v battery sooner, when it is at a higher level of charge. Thoughts?
You sir are asking the million dollar question. Why they haven't learned to implement these charge cycles more often or as needed is beyond anyones guess.

I know Ford has a cobbled together infrastructure within the truck and there are likely some different challenges but we owned two Tesla Model 3's for over 4 years each and a Y is in the garage now. Not once, ever did a piece of SW fail to update once I touched the button to tell it to install.

There has to be better checking or procedures they can implement to give the 12v a charge cycle then start the install.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I had 23S57 installed at my dealer, and got the truck back this afternoon. The truck is new-to-me at 18,000 miles, so I drove it over to the DCFC to see how it behaved itself. I was shocked to see it spike to 185 kW with 57% in the tank...I thought it would only do 150 kW?

That's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully my upcoming road trip is free of drama.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I had 23S57 installed at my dealer, and got the truck back this afternoon. The truck is new-to-me at 18,000 miles, so I drove it over to the DCFC to see how it behaved itself. I was shocked to see it spike to 185 kW with 57% in the tank...I thought it would only do 150 kW?

That's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully my upcoming road trip is free of drama.
It will only peak like that for a few minutes after first plugging in, and then settle down into its curve. At 57% it would probably be around 120 to 130 kW.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I had the CSP 23B57 completed on Monday (11/13) and picked up truck on Tuesday (11/14). Was told the same thing by service advisor, but advised that a service warning and wrench may appear after a few days. Received a call later on Tuesday from Ford Recall Concierge Team representative who seemed surprised that battery module did not need replacement. Well 48 hours later I received the service warning and wrench along with battery operating at a reduced level (53%). In the process now of getting dealer service department to schedule service. Ford should really save the back and forth inconvenience and just replace the battery module Instead of attempting the software update returning the truck to customer only to return back to have battery module replaced.
The variance in battery cells was not enough initially to trigger the BECM to report the problem. Likely an edge case. Just over the line. We've seen other members who had this done and right afterwards (while still in the shop) the truck threw a wrench, notified the mothership, and got parked on the back lot until the replacement cell(s) arrived to get installed.
Sponsored