Sponsored

Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Every new technology comes with warts and problems. Kudos to Tesla for opening up the concept. If it was left to the Big 3 we would still be waiting.
Too many people buying Lightnings should not. (Just read all of the posts whining about problems of early technology because they jumped in without doing due diligence about BEV’s and pickup trucks.) Let some of them switch to Tesla’s truck. I don’t think the local electricians and plumbers will.
This ^^^

Same happened with Mach-Es, although the trucks I think flip back sooner, because the buyer was totally clueless and can't be bothered to do the research.
Sponsored

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I've never had an issue with the app. While P&C would be preferable, swiping and then charging takes a few extra seconds and saves me dollars each time I charge.

Maybe 25% savings isn't worth the hassle, but making it seem activating with the app is regularly challenging or what leads to problems at EA chargers is misleading.

The only reason I have P&C still active is as a backup if I have cell issues - and I've never had to use it. Problems at EA have only been method-agnostic: derated or offline chargers.
I'll say that I've had relatively little problems using the app, I did have more issues in the earlier days of my fast charging experience... I also don't do a lot of fast charging but last weekend I can tell you at a brand new EA location I and a Mach E pulled in at the same time. She got out plugged in and was charging, I was a minute behind her.. then came the others, a BMW, several teslas and they all struggled... I suspect, but no proof, that the rfid scanners weren't workong at the site and they all were trying to pay by tapping their phones... but even the credit card swipe wasn't working.. the BMW pulled in 5 minutes after I did and 25 minutes later when I pulled out he still didn't have it charging... the Teslas just moved on... I use P&C with EA and Evgo and it just works so congrats to the Ford programmers on that.. I believe it will be every bit as good with Tesla stations..

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
it will be interesting if so, because there's quite a lot of people here and on reddit saying an extension is 100% impossible.
Nothing is impossible. Without cable cooling, it would just be heavy. And probably expensive. But not impossible.
Its not even all that heavy or expensive.
It only needs to be 5 or 6 ft longer.
A 6 ft copper cable (x2) that can handle 375 amps (150kW / 400v) would be a minimum of size 250 DLO. For safety margin and overkill, jump up two sizes to 313 DLO.
Even at retail in small qty. cut by the foot you could buy the cable for $13.23/ft for a cable cost of $160. It would weigh 15lbs.
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/313-diesel-locomotive-cable-2kv

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
I'll say that I've had relatively little problems using the app, I did have more issues in the earlier days of my fast charging experience... I also don't do a lot of fast charging but last weekend I can tell you at a brand new EA location I and a Mach E pulled in at the same time. She got out plugged in and was charging, I was a minute behind her.. then came the others, a BMW, several teslas and they all struggled... I suspect, but no proof, that the rfid scanners weren't workong at the site and they all were trying to pay by tapping their phones... but even the credit card swipe wasn't working.. the BMW pulled in 5 minutes after I did and 25 minutes later when I pulled out he still didn't have it charging... the Teslas just moved on... I use P&C with EA and Evgo and it just works so congrats to the Ford programmers on that.. I believe it will be every bit as good with Tesla stations..
I ABSOLUTELY believe the card reader doesn't work. That's been a consistent challenge for EA. But I've never had an issue with the app.

Since my last post I did remember one other time I used it - I activated with the app no problem, but then had a charger fault. I switched to the other cable, but had to start over, and my app wouldn't let me activate as it still saw the first charge session as active. I just plugged in and p&c worked. It's definitely great to have.

What's most frustrating to me is that Ford and EA can't get the membership working thru p&c.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
So I was chatting with the A2Z company that is making one of the adapters. Asked them about an extension cord for DC charging. They replied, yes they are also working on an extension cord:

Looking for an adapter for my CCS Ford Lightning for Tesla Superhcarging. I know you have one aleady. But the problem is the cord length because the Ford Lightning charge port is forward on the driver side just in front of the door.​

Any chance you could make an adapter with a 6 or 8 ft extension for high power DC fast charging?​
A2Z EV
Hi there. We are finishing up a DC extension cord which will be 3 to 9 ft. It should be available early 2024. We are doing safety testings.​
(re-posted to fix formatting)
Just noticed its already listed on their website as "coming soon":
https://a2zevshop.com/products/tesla-nacs-dc-supercharger-extension-cord
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date 1702749304192

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Its not even all that heavy or expensive.
It only needs to be 5 or 6 ft longer.
A 6 ft copper cable (x2) that can handle 375 amps (150kW / 400v) would be a minimum of size 250 DLO. For safety margin and overkill, jump up two sizes to 313 DLO.
Even at retail in small qty. cut by the foot you could buy the cable for $13.23/ft for a cable cost of $160. It would weigh 15lbs.
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/313-diesel-locomotive-cable-2kv
DLO? Is that Canadian or something?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
The size is expressed in MCM - M (thousands) of Circular Mills.
https://www.omnicable.com/technical-resources/wire-gauge-conversions

DLO - Diesel Locomotive cable. Large, flexible, durable cable designed for hundreds or even thousands of amps developed for use in equipment like a diesel-electric locomotives.
I don't know where MCM came from. I've been an electrician for over 20 years. Wire diameter is expressed in kcmil.

And I can't speak to anything in the Locomotive world, but in the world of the NEC, anything that is supposed to handle the amperage we need to get to 250kW is going to be thick and heavy without active cooling. Just look at the cables being used on an Electrify America station. When the temperature sensor faults out, it defaults to around 39kW.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I don't know where MCM came from. I've been an electrician for over 20 years. Wire diameter is expressed in kcmil.

And I can't speak to anything in the Locomotive world, but in the world of the NEC, anything that is supposed to handle the amperage we need to get to 250kW is going to be thick and heavy without active cooling. Just look at the cables being used on an Electrify America station. When the temperature sensor faults out, it defaults to around 39kW.
MCM is same as kcmil.
The Lightning can only take about 150kW.
150kW / 400v is only 375 amps.
Yes, it would be "thick". But entirely possible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Over a year ago my first DCFC sessions would cause an error in the truck when stopping the session and using the screen on a Francis (Oklahoma) charger to stop the session.

However since then, using that very same Tesla charger in FW that has been mentioned and numerous times using the Francis chargers - stopping the session by pressing the button on the screen of the charger - I have NOT had an error in the truck for over a year.
That’s interesting. I quit stopping the session at the charger quite some time ago to avoid the error. Maybe Ford fixed that without telling us since the last time I did it.

Reactions: GDN

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
MCM is same as kcmil.
The lightning can only take about 150kW.
150kW / 400v is only 375 amps.
Yes, it would be "thick". But entirely possible.
I can't see Tesla allowing a 375A cable to be used when the V3 Supercharger can output up to 500 amps. I still say they will find a way to only have authorized adaptors work.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I can't see Tesla allowing a 375A cable to be used when the V2 Supercharger can output up to 500 amps. I still say they will find a way to only have authorized adaptors work.
So add a few hundred kcmil and make it whatever thickness is needed. I am not actually designing the thing and getting it through approvals. Just pointing out that its entirely feasible.
There are wires inside the truck from the charge port to the battery. Just make it the same as those.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I can't see Tesla allowing a 375A cable to be used when the V2 Supercharger can output up to 500 amps. I still say they will find a way to only have authorized adaptors work.
I don't disagree, but the v2 SC'ers are not included in what we can use if I recall correctly. Only v3.
Sponsored