• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CaseyCo

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Would @rugedraw or @Mike G mind running my VIN (1FTVW1EV5PWG30179, SYNC 22326) for module updates? I had a Powertrain Malfunction code without actual power reduction happen this past weekend and it cleared after the next restart. It hasn't happened again since but am hoping maybe an OTA Update could fix it if it's software/module related. Still waiting for my first software update as I've had the vehicle for a month and a half with none so far. Dealer can't get me in for 3 weeks. TIA!

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS IMG_0461
Sponsored

Last edited:

MinerFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Recovering Engineer
Question for you guys - can all modules be updated with FDRS over a usb stick? Or is the J2534 (Mongoose) required? Just wondering if I have to shell out for the Mongoose.

elpamyelhsa

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Next-Gen Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 MY22
You still need to plug in FDRS via a J2534 to start USB stick upgrades as FDRS will not download the USB update without the vehicle being plugged in at the same time. I personally use the much cheaper "SM2 Pro" without any issues and have updated 9 modules in my 2022 Ranger.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Would @rugedraw or @Mike G mind running my VIN (1FTVW1EV5PWG30179, SYNC 22326) for module updates? I had a Powertrain Malfunction code without actual power reduction happen this past weekend and it cleared after the next restart. It hasn't happened again since but am hoping maybe an OTA Update could fix it if it's software/module related. Still waiting for my first software update as I've had the vehicle for a month and a half with none so far. Dealer can't get me in for 3 weeks. TIA!
Not sure how I missed this, but here you go:

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1702865137019

What happened that day seems to be an isolated incident.....a glitch in the matrix, so to speak. No DTC's were recorded that day that your truck hasn't recorded every other day. Keep the appt if you want, but I think your truck is fine. Dealers do not get paid by Ford to update modules, so I would not have high hopes they do it. 1.5 months without an update is not a long time. Your truck was built 3 months ago and most of the latest software on it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

CaseyCo

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure how I missed this, but here you go:

1702865137019.png

What happened that day seems to be an isolated incident.....a glitch in the matrix, so to speak. No DTC's were recorded that day that your truck hasn't recorded every other day. Keep the appt if you want, but I think your truck is fine. Dealers do not get paid by Ford to update modules, so I would not have high hopes they do it. 1.5 months without an update is not a long time. Your truck was built 3 months ago and most of the latest software on it already.

View attachment 76709
Thanks for checking for me. Do these modules eventually get updated via OTA updates?

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks for checking for me. Do these modules eventually get updated via OTA updates?
Yes, all of those can be updated with the OTA process.

priceb

First Name
Price
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
College Instructor
After completing the 12 hour process of applying updates to my truck using FDRS, I have a few notes I thought I should share. My goal was to get the IPC update that included the SOC. Initially there were quite a few updates shown, but not the IPC one.

Based on prior posts in this forum that GWM, APIM and TCU updates should be applied first, I started with the available GWM update. After completing that update a TCU update appeared and I applied it. This was followed by an APIM, another GWM, and another APIM. The IPC update appeared at some point during these updates. I assume that one of these was a prerequisite for it. It took the rest of the evening to apply all of the updates.

The only issues I had were failures configuring the BCM update and the SCCM update. This was caused by changes I had previously made using FORScan. FDRS tried to configure them using as-built data which caused an invalid configuration DTC. The DTC was resolved by using FORScan to restore the backup of the configuration I had made prior to applying updates. Also of note, the ACM update does not disappear after being applied. I believe that this was mentioned previously in this thread.

I had also read that some updates required the frunk to be closed, however a 12v power supply is required to be connected to the battery to perform some of the updates. I was able to run an extension port through the fake charge port into the battery compartment to power the 12v supply and close the frunk at the same time.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS PXL_20231222_170815734

starrtech2000

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER 511a
After completing the 12 hour process of applying updates to my truck using FDRS, I have a few notes I thought I should share. My goal was to get the IPC update that included the SOC. Initially there were quite a few updates shown, but not the IPC one.

Based on prior posts in this forum that GWM, APIM and TCU updates should be applied first, I started with the available GWM update. After completing that update a TCU update appeared and I applied it. This was followed by an APIM, another GWM, and another APIM. The IPC update appeared at some point during these updates. I assume that one of these was a prerequisite for it. It took the rest of the evening to apply all of the updates.

The only issues I had were failures configuring the BCM update and the SCCM update. This was caused by changes I had previously made using FORScan. FDRS tried to configure them using as-built data which caused an invalid configuration DTC. The DTC was resolved by using FORScan to restore the backup of the configuration I had made prior to applying updates. Also of note, the ACM update does not disappear after being applied. I believe that this was mentioned previously in this thread.

I had also read that some updates required the frunk to be closed, however a 12v power supply is required to be connected to the battery to perform some of the updates. I was able to run an extension port through the fake charge port into the battery compartment to power the 12v supply and close the frunk at the same time.
PXL_20231222_170815734.jpg
Can I ask why you didn't just run the extension cord to the frunk through the weather stripping? Would i not close?

priceb

First Name
Price
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
College Instructor
Can I ask why you didn't just run the extension cord to the frunk through the weather stripping? Would i not close?
There was definitely a concern that it would not close or stay closed. I have had other things prevent it from closing in the past.

Additionally, since the frunk is powered I can't control how much pressure it puts on the cord and was not comfortable pinching the cord with the amount of pressure the frunk motors apply for an extended period of time. It ended up taking about 12 hours.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
There was definitely a concern that it would not close or stay closed. I have had other things prevent it from closing in the past.

Additionally, since the frunk is powered I can't control how much pressure it puts on the cord and was not comfortable pinching the cord with the amount of pressure the frunk motors apply for an extended period of time. It ended up taking about 12 hours.
Try it first with a similar piece of cable that just lays across the gap (not connected) and see if it damages it.

priceb

First Name
Price
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
College Instructor
Try it first with a similar piece of cable that just lays across the gap (not connected) and see if it damages it.
That would have worked. However, after running antenna wires for my HAM radio antenna I already knew that the cover could be popped off in a few seconds. Therefore, it did not seem worth the effort to find a similar wire and test.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I had also read that some updates required the frunk to be closed, however a 12v power supply is required to be connected to the battery to perform some of the updates.

While my experience is no guarantee that it works the same for everyone else, I have not had any issues with my frunk being open.

The only thing that happens (again, for me, on my truck) is that the frunk loses it's "homeing" position, so that one have to manually close the frunk the first time after the updates.

Last edited:

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat , 22 Mach E GT
Just a quick question I subscribed to FDRS for a few days just to see available updates. Wondering do all these pending modules get updated over the air eventually? This is from my 23 Lightning

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS IMG_9591
Sponsored