Driving in snow?

Jetsfan17

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR, 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium
It doesn't snow a lot in NJ anymore but it appears that there may be a storm coming this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for which driving mode to use while driving in the snow. I am not only new to the Lighnong family but to pickups in general so any advice would be helpful.
Sponsored

Arrington.LCA

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Normal mode most of the time, though I do like the extra regenerative braking/slowing that Sport Mode allows. I just Sport Mode more on drives down the mountains as a substitute for 1-pedal.

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Just don't take the 5.0! My Lightning did great in the snow last year, even pulled a friend's 4x4 RAM out of a ditch with a WARN strap and shackle to the rear hitch point. It's not a magic bullet for the weather but it's better than any other truck I've had, and even any Subaru lol

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The Lightning does great in the snow, the stock grabber tires - not so much. I swapped mine out for some Cooper AT tires, and gave up range, because of that. A few points.

Drive mode - I would use with normal or sport, whichever you are more comfortable with.

Truck performance - the traction and stability control is better than any ICE vehicle because the electric motors can react that much faster.

One Pedal - I keep this on in slippery conditions because I am used to it and can regulate regen with pedal position. It really doesn't matter which setting you use, as long as you are comfortable with it.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
It doesn't snow a lot in NJ anymore but it appears that there may be a storm coming this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for which driving mode to use while driving in the snow. I am not only new to the Lighnong family but to pickups in general so any advice would be helpful.
Heavy and evenly-distributed weight is awesome in the snow. Agree with others in the thread about it being great.

One comment I disagree with is using sport mode in snow. I find normal is much easier to control and prevent hard braking on slippery surfaces. If you are brand new and not really used to one-pedal, you might consider turning it off while slick.

But all that said, it's a fantastic vehicle in the snow IMO, and I've experienced it on stock tires.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Normal mode.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I found the Grabbers weak in the icy snow which we get a lot of here in Ontario. They seemed to be ok with a couple of inches of normal snow. After a few weeks last winter, I changed them out for the Blizzaks from my 2018, and driving was much more fun. New set for this winter.

The truck as a platform in winter weather is awesome. Coming from a 2018 5.0 it is much better with the full-time AWD without the tendency to slip and slide as much around tight corners. More weight and lack of locked axle rotation speeds (caused by the transfer case on the ICE trucks) means all wheels are pulling in the right direction at the right speed.

Note: Unless you are stuck teetering on two wheels, don't use off-road mode to lock the differential as this will reduce stability in slippery conditions.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I found the Grabbers weak in the icy snow which we get a lot of here in Ontario. They seemed to be ok with a couple of inches of normal snow. After a few weeks last winter, I changed them out for the Blizzaks from my 2018, and driving was much more fun. New set for this winter.

The truck as a platform in winter weather is awesome. Coming from a 2018 5.0 it is much better with the full-time AWD without the tendency to slip and slide as much around tight corners. More weight and lack of locked axle rotation speeds (caused by the transfer case on the ICE trucks) means all wheels are pulling in the right direction at the right speed.

Note: Unless you are stuck teetering on two wheels, don't use off-road mode to lock the differential as this will reduce stability in slippery conditions.
Agreed on all, though I would add that locking the rear differential if you are stuck, to reduce spin, can make sense as well.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Agreed on all, though I would add that locking the rear differential if you are stuck, to reduce spin, can make sense as well.
100% agree but ONLY at low speeds and in the conditions you describe.
It will force both rear wheels to turn at the same rate and may get you out of a stuck or nearly stuck situation. Just remember to turn it off when you get unstuck as it can cause the rear to slide out in slippery conditions and get you into a worse situation.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
One comment I disagree with is using sport mode in snow. I find normal is much easier to control and prevent hard braking on slippery surfaces. If you are brand new and not really used to one-pedal, you might consider turning it off while slick.
I'll second this. If your EV starts to slide due to regenerative braking it is difficult in that tense situation to apply more accelerator to get the slipping to stop and to determine the right amount to apply and release for optimal stopping. Much easier to apply brakes to point of slipping and let up, imo. Perhaps just my muscle memory, but it's got years of experience built up.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Normal mode on KO2 tires for Montana snow / ice;
... lockers if you get stuck.

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
I'll second this. If your EV starts to slide due to regenerative braking it is difficult in that tense situation to apply more accelerator to get the slipping to stop and to determine the right amount to apply and release for optimal stopping. Much easier to apply brakes to point of slipping and let up, imo. Perhaps just my muscle memory, but it's got years of experience built up.
If you start to slide due to regenerative braking, wouldn't a good idea be to just take the Lightning out of Drive and put it in Neutral?

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
If you start to slide due to regenerative braking, wouldn't a good idea be to just take the Lightning out of Drive and put it in Neutral?
Reapplying the accelerator is going to be much faster, and I imagine some would argue more controllable.

The ideal solution is for the computers to recognize that regen has locked up the wheels and lessen the regen (anti-lock regen). Newer cars may have this. I've only experienced the situation on my old 2015 Model S. I have not had a chance to test the Lightning in snow yet. Maybe someone else can comment.

The second best option, imo, is to not get into the regen skid in the first place by setting the regen to be less aggressive (i.e. not 1-pedal) and then rely on standard snow braking best practices.
Sponsored