What do you use to search for chargers?

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Just took a long-ish (700+ mi) trip through Eastern Oregon & Washington. Not a lot of chargers.

I used ABRP to plan the trip. Once I was at my stopping point (small town in E Washington), I realized my consumption was a bit higher than ABRP defaults, and I was worried I would have to take a wide detour to hit some known chargers.

It turns out, there was actually a L2 charger in the small town I was staying in. Neither ABRP or Plugshare knew about this charger. Thankfully my (very non-tech savvy) Mother-in-Law happened to know about it - saved me a big time-waste! It was maybe 6kW tops, but leaving my truck there overnight gave me a full charge...

What do you all use to find chargers? I tried to add this one (and another I fortuitously found) on Plugshare, but even though I got a success message, nothing shows up (is there a vetting process or something?)

Is there anyway to add charging locations to ABRP?
Sponsored

Stephen8810

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Agreed, still good to check a couple of apps. All the apps are still learning where the chargers are. I was using Ford, EA, ABRP, Plugshare and Tesla. Not too many fast chargers in Northern Michigan and only 2 Tesla V3 open to us. Consumers Energy pointed me to a network called Red E. Their app is primitive but I found what I needed, a fast charger in Ludington, MI.
(Fwiw, I reported the REDe charging station to ABRP and it is now added in their route planner.)
Ford F-150 Lightning What do you use to search for chargers? IMG_6070

Last edited:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I have 7 apps from the brands for their chargers and plugshare. Also Waze now too.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
Ford, Electrify America (EA), PlugShare, EVgo Charger, ChargePoint, EVConnect, Blink, Chargeway, ChargeSmart EV, ChargeHub, EVGateway.
No Tesla since I still don't have the adapter.
Still looking for the one ring to rule them all. New to this so still not sure which ones I really want to subscribe to. Very few fast chargers on Rt 15 between Frederick, Md. and (or in) Ithaca NY or Watkins Glen, NY. which are my upcoming trips. Some car dealers have ~50kW chargers. However, I do see lots of slow chargers as I switch between apps.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
PlugShare should show most all chargers, but you need to check your filters. Unless I’m looking for them I turn off the level 1 chargers just to reduce the amount of icons on the map.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Ford, Electrify America (EA), PlugShare, EVgo Charger, ChargePoint, EVConnect, Blink, Chargeway, ChargeSmart EV, ChargeHub, EVGateway.
No Tesla since I still don't have the adapter.
Still looking for the one ring to rule them all. New to this so still not sure which ones I really want to subscribe to. Very few fast chargers on Rt 15 between Frederick, Md. and (or in) Ithaca NY or Watkins Glen, NY. which are my upcoming trips. Some car dealers have ~50kW chargers. However, I do see lots of slow chargers as I switch between apps.
ABRP is one of, if not the most popular, initial trip planner for locating charge stations. They are not a provider, but they are A Better Route Planner.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
ABRP is one of, if not the most popular, initial trip planner for locating charge stations. They are not a provider, but they are A Better Route Planner.
And owned by Rivian.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
ABRP, Plugshare, and the Tesla app primarily. I save the Tesla stations along my route on the in truck nav and then route to them along my route based upon electron burn rate and bio break need on a given trip.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I don't use the truck's NAV, or even the 'CHARGE' App, since they are difficult to manage and use and customize WHILE traveling... it's just too annoying.
GOOGLE MAPS on my phone is SO MUCH easier to navigate, change on the fly, and use for not only FINDING Chargers, but getting to them easily...

but, PLUG SHARE is a good one, that sometimes will render unknown options, otherwise... and can link to Google Maps

EA and Chargepoint(including EVgo) work o.k. for their own units, but many times a Chargepoint unit does not even show on their OWN app...crazy.

And, frankly, not every option is on an 'app'... sometimes a good mother-in-law is all you need.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I use the Tesla app to locate Superchargers and Destination chargers on road trips.

Have both adapters so I am set.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I use the Tesla app to locate Superchargers and Destination chargers on road trips.

Have both adapters so I am set.
Ah, but you're in CA, land of the EV's. Try south Texas, the Midwest, etc and you'll see our issue.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I have a folder on my phone with all the EV infrastructure I use.

Apps I use regarding charging and navigation:

Relevant to my Truck:
  • FordPass (using for charging only until my free kW at EA is used up)
Find Chargers (General):
  • ABRP
  • PlugShare
  • ChargeHub
Navigation with Charger info:
  • ABRP
  • Waze (Beta)
Charger Networks:
  • EA
  • Tesla
  • Blink
  • ChargePoint