• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Missing part?

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice Blue & 2023 Silver ER Lariat Lightnings
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
I know it’s not actually missing, I’m guessing a chiller went here at some point. Just wondering what was supposed to go here?
IMG_1251.jpeg
Looks like a service port for A/C or cooling/heating HV battery/drive train system
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dudel5000

Dudel5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting Pro ER
Looks like a service port for A/C or cooling/heating HV battery/drive train system
Yes I am aware of what the service port is. The mounting plate with the bolts sticking up out of it is what intrigued me to ask. Consensus seems to agree that non-max tow vehicles have the chiller placed on the passenger side of the battery. Max tow have the chiller on the drivers side.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I have an SR, XLT w/Pro Power and no Max Tow and just a passenger side chiller so perhaps the passenger side is for Pro Power cooling and the driver side chiller is the Max Tow package?

Does anyone have both chillers?

OP
OP
Dudel5000

Dudel5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an SR, XLT w/Pro Power and no Max Tow and just a passenger side chiller so perhaps the passenger side is for Pro Power cooling and the driver side chiller is the Max Tow package?

Does anyone have both chillers?
I have Max Tow and Pro Power with just the driver side. Pretty sure it’s for the Max Tow based on the replies.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I have Max Tow and Pro Power with just the driver side. Pretty sure it’s for the Max Tow based on the replies.
Intersting, I wonder what the one on the passengers side is in my truck then since I don't have Max Tow on my SR - XLT (but I do have Pro Power)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dudel5000

Dudel5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Intersting, I wonder what the one on the passengers side is in my truck then since I don't have Max Tow on my SR - XLT (but I do have Pro Power)
I think it’s probably the regular cooling loop chiller. I’m guessing the max tow version moves things around, hence the change in location.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
The part we are talking about is a "chiller". Every Lightning has one. It is on the passenger side of 12v battery and connects to the single compressor. This single compressor controls temps for cabin, battery and motors.

For trucks with Max Tow option, the chiller instead connects to a 2nd compressor that they have. That 2nd compressor is used to maintain temperatures for battery, motors but not the cabin. It seems for routing purposes they moved the chiller to the driver side since it connects to the 2nd compressor which is mounted further back on the truck.

The Munro video (linked by @Grumpy2 in Post #25) explains it best starting around the 3 minute mark.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Confirming my ER with Max Tow has the power train chiller on the drivers side of the LVB.

It chills the hot glycol coming from the battery, onboard charge controller, PPOB and EDM's.

Non-MAXTOW trucks are plumbed similar to the MME's, this schematic below represents the plumbing and operation concepts of an MME.

Ford F-150 Lightning Missing part? 1719583555502-ko

While MAX-TOW trucks have the chiller on the drivers side connected directly to the exclusive second compressor. and the primary compressor is plumbed directly to the HVAC cabinet as you would see in ICE vehicles, no crossover valve or chiller is needed for the cabin since the evaporator is in the blower house right next to the heater core.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
It's the catalytic converter. They have precious metals inside so people steal them and sell them to jewelers.

Moderators, you can shut this thread down now that I've provided the correct answer.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Confirming my ER with Max Tow has the power train chiller on the drivers side of the LVB.

It chills the hot glycol coming from the battery, onboard charge controller, PPOB and EDM's.

Non-MAXTOW trucks are plumbed similar to the MME's, this schematic below represents the plumbing and operation concepts of an MME.

1719583555502-ko.png

While MAX-TOW trucks have the chiller on the drivers side connected directly to the exclusive second compressor. and the primary compressor is plumbed directly to the HVAC cabinet as you would see in ICE vehicles, no crossover valve or chiller is needed for the cabin since the evaporator is in the blower house right next to the heater core.
What I am hearing is that Ford offers great aftermarket support and ensured that regardless of whether you have max tow or not, there is plumbing in place for this:

Ford F-150 Lightning Missing part? E0401-00810-B1_2_1080x

I guess that’s why the console fridge is so seemless to upgrade.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
SR/ER is irrelevant. We have reports form both. - Post #13 is updated. It’s a small amount of data but I think it’s very clear that it is for the Max Tow package.
OK, post number 8 confused me into thinking it was also on the ER model without Max Tow.

I found this other thread see post #12 which is consistent with it being a Max Tow chiller location I suppose:

"Regarding the Max Tow package:

The Max Tow Package adds another compressor to the cooling loop. This additional compressor isolates the cabin/climate controls from the battery and motor in the cooling loop. By isolating the climate in the truck from the rest of the cooling loop, it (in theory) provides more efficient cooling to the batteries, motor, and charging infrastructure. ..."

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/battery-cooling-max-tow-versus-standard-tow.14949/

I have the MAx Tow package and a chiller on the driver's side, two mounting posts on passenger side:
Ford F-150 Lightning Missing part? IMG_5620-battery compartment right drivers side.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Missing part? IMG_5621-battery compartment left passenger side.JPG

Oh dang, after I used the Lightning to jump another vehicle, I forgot to put the red plastic back on the battery terminal...back outside I go.

Last edited:

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I saw a tear down video and that is probably where the secondary chiller goes if you have the tow package.

Sorry, should have said compressor.

Last edited:

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
I saw a tear down video and that is probably where the secondary chiller goes if you have the tow package.
Don't believe that is true. It seems the truck only has the one chiller. With Max Tow you get an additional compressor , but no additional chiller.

The chiller is placed on passenger side of 12v battery if non-Max tow. The chiller is on driver's side of 12v battery if you have the Max Tow option. Believe this is so they can easily connect the chiller to the 2nd compressor used in Max Tow.

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Don't believe that is true. It seems the truck only has the one chiller. With Max Tow you get an additional compressor , but no additional chiller.

The chiller is placed on passenger side of 12v battery if non-Max tow. The chiller is on driver's side of 12v battery if you have the Max Tow option. Believe this is so they can easily connect the chiller to the 2nd compressor used in Max Tow.
You’re right, compressor.
Sponsored