First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired
No matter what I do I can not lower the tailgate. All I hear is a beep when I press the button. It doesn't matter if I have my phone or fob.

Is Anyone having this problem? I have a 23 Lariot ER.
Sponsored

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Okay, this probably isn't the case, but is your truck in Valet Mode?

(I learned this the hard way, after battling my tailgate for 10 minutes, frantically, while my family was waiting to load our luggage after a long flight...........)

OP
OP

Billgeffert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired
No I doubled checked not in Valet mode. Thanks for responding.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
No matter what I do I can not lower the tailgate. All I hear is a beep when I press the button. It doesn't matter if I have my phone or fob.

Hello, I would like to see if I can be of any assistance regarding your tailgate concerns. Could you please send us a message with your VIN and mileage?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

So the truck has AI built-in. Because you called it a Lariot, it won't open the tailgate. I suggest apologizing, then try again.

Stalemate

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Mustang, 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Utility Electrician
Try pushing in on the tailgate while pressing the button. That helps with mine. I think the problem arises from the latch and latch pin not being lined up properly. I moved my driver side pin around a little and it works a lot better. Not perfect, but better.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT

Mine will do that at times and usually if the tonneau cover is too tight or I have something in the bed and it is pressing against the gate.

It also did it after the bedliner was installed as they spray material went under the bump stops applying too much pressure so I had to remove the material under the bumps.

One time I did have to go into settings and change it to manual to get it to open.

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Per the Owners Manual. Think most of these have been already suggested but worth a shot...

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Issue 1721850461965-xj

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Does it beep beep three times and not open? If yes, mine did that. There was corrosion in the tailgate wiring connector (on both the tailgate side and truck side). After a couple months waiting for parts the dealer replaced that section of wiring harness. It has worked properly since then.

MDCLightning

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Sports Performance

Does it happen when you open it with the FOB? I get the “3 beeps”, and have to press it again, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s “sleeping”? It’s always worked on the second attempt though. I do have an issue with the automatic closing feature more often: I’ll initiate the auto closing, and it’ll go all the way up, and then honk twice to alert me that it didn’t close successfully, and come all the way back down. There is nothing obstructing its path, so I’m not sure what the issue is. Possibly the alignment?

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I have found that if the tailgate step isn't fully seated the power tailgate will just beep. I accidentally hit the tailgate step sometimes when I pust the tailgate button.

Release the tailgate step then push it back in to place. Try the button.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Issue 1721915767439-li

OP
OP

Billgeffert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired
Does it happen when you open it with the FOB? I get the “3 beeps”, and have to press it again, but I’m guessing that’s because it’s “sleeping”? It’s always worked on the second attempt though. I do have an issue with the automatic closing feature more often: I’ll initiate the auto closing, and it’ll go all the way up, and then honk twice to alert me that it didn’t close successfully, and come all the way back down. There is nothing obstructing its path, so I’m not sure what the issue is. Possibly the alignment?
doesn't matter fob or phone but thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP

Billgeffert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired
I have found that if the tailgate step isn't fully seated the power tailgate will just beep. I accidentally hit the tailgate step sometimes when I pust the tailgate button.

Release the tailgate step then push it back in to place. Try the button.

1721915767439-li.png
Tried it still no go. Thanks for responding.
Sponsored