Sponsored

Ford Needs to Promote Two Pedal Mode to First Time EV Buyers.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I went with my wife and teenage son and his girlfriend to window shop vehicles to consider to replace my Wife's aging Ford Explorer. We drove a Rivian R1S.

The Rivian, like a Tesla, ALWAYS does Regen when you let off the accelerator pedal.

I had some experience driving Teslas before and playing with 1 pedal mode in my Lightning, so I was able to adapt pretty quickly (but still would prefer 2-pedal mode).

Different story for the three other drivers in our group. They all actively HATED 1-pedal driving. As passengers, they all complained about how it was giving them motion sickness. As drivers, their impression of the Rivian R1s was that it was hard to drive. And slow!

Despite the fact that we were driving the 3-motor 850HP model that has a 2.9 sec 0-60 time, their first impression was that it was a sluggish, heavy, and slow moving vehicle.

Ford really needs to capitalize on their two-pedal setup when whooing first time EV buyers during test drives. I would tell every dealership to play up that advantage.

(P.S. The R1S was otherwise a really nice SUV, and I am sure once you get used to 1-pedal mode, it would be fine thing to own).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
Agreed, unless you have experience with 1pedal. My wife cant get the hang of it. I love it around town. But turn it off on the freeway ,especially while useing cruise control. Hate when I cancel cc and the regen hits hard.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I went with my wife and teenage son and his girlfriend to window shop vehicles to consider to replace my Wife's aging Ford Explorer. We drove a Rivian R1S.

The Rivian, like a Tesla, ALWAYS does Regen when you let off the accelerator pedal.

I had some experience driving Teslas before and playing with 1 pedal mode in my Lightning, so I was able to adapt pretty quickly (but still would prefer 2-pedal mode).

Different story for the three other drivers in our group. They all actively HATED 1-pedal driving. As passengers, they all complained about how it was giving them motion sickness. As drivers, their impression of the Rivian R1s was that it was hard to drive. And slow!

Despite the fact that we were driving the 3-motor 850HP model that has a 2.9 sec 0-60 time, their first impression was that it was a sluggish, heavy, and slow moving vehicle.

Ford really needs to capitalize on their two-pedal setup when whooing first time EV buyers during test drives. I would tell every dealership to play up that advantage.

(P.S. The R1S was otherwise a really nice SUV, and I am sure once you get used to 1-pedal mode, it would be fine thing to own).

1PD takes a little while (not too long) to get used to. Now that I'm used to it (took a couple days), my stops are smoother than 2PD. I actually get frustrated when driving my wife's ICE vehicle. I think it's natural to not like something you aren't used to. Change is hard for alot of people.

1PD may not be for everyone, but I love it and feel it should be something pushed towards new EV buyers. It's a unique driving experience, and in my opinion, a superior one. Once you get a feel for the rate of deceleration, it's easy.

I know you stated that Tesla and Rivian has regen when in 2PD, just to clarify the Lightning does too.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
It takes a bit to get used to 1PD, depending on your own habbits.

Driving a Focus Electric for six years, it does not have 1PD, but it's shifter has a "low" position that increases the aggressiveness of regen when you coast. I now think of it as a "poor man's 1PD". 😉

It slows the vehicle quicker than the usual regen while coasting, and with the FFE there's no accelerometer to activate the brake lights when slowing this way - a great way to get tailgaters to back off when they sh*t a square one when they find themselves getting closer than they intended with no brake lights to warn them. You also have to use the brake pedal to bring the car to a final stop and hold it there.

For me, working in the urban rail industry where a single control lever is now common to accelerate and brake, 1PD just seems more natural. Your mileage may vary.

The Lightning is my wife's vehicle and she tried 1PD a bit initially but didn't take to it at the time. I would switch to 1PD and switch back when done with the it. Then about six months ago, I got in and found it already in 1PD mode. She said she found it better and now uses it all the time. Go figure. 🤷

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
They all actively HATED 1-pedal driving. As passengers, they all complained about how it was giving them motion sickness.
Some people just can't master the intricacies of smooth driving no matter the vehicle.

The lightning does take some getting used to if you're coming from a slow ice vehicle but once you catch on it becomes incredibly capable and by far the smoothest riding truck of all time.

The great thing is that you can use 1 or 2 pedals and still get regen consistently.

Don't forget to set up profiles in your truck so that it knows who wants what. Ford made it easy.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I agree, relatives who drove the Tesla were put off by the one pedal driving and that made them resistant to EVs for years. I had the same experience with the Rivian, fortunately one pedal driving is really an illusion (it is a blend of regen and friction braking) so it is something that can be tweaked with software if it has not already been.

Both my EV6 and the Ford have excellent one pedal driving, the plus for the Ford is that it remembers the setting so you don’t have to select it every.single.time.you.start. A plus for the Ev6 is that it has multiple levels which is a handy way to learn one pedal driving and for efficiency. I get better efficiency with Level 2 (on the Kia) than one pedal, but that might just be me.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I recently changed to 1-pedal to relieve some of the workload on an injured right knee. I was concerned that 53 years of driving experience and muscle memory would make the switchover awkward, but actually I've adapted pretty smoothly. While Ford offers just on-or-off, I think it did a good job of crafting the vehicle behavior in 1-pedal, and its blend of regen and friction braking suits me just fine. One nit: The indicator in the instrument cluster is in a very odd location, tho' the symbol itself is instantly understandable.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
1PD takes a little while (not too long) to get used to. Now that I'm used to it (took a couple days), my stops are smoother than 2PD. I actually get frustrated when driving my wife's ICE vehicle. I think it's natural to not like something you aren't used to. Change is hard for alot of people.

1PD may not be for everyone, but I love it and feel it should be something pushed towards new EV buyers. It's a unique driving experience, and in my opinion, a superior one. Once you get a feel for the rate of deceleration, it's easy.

I know you stated that Tesla and Rivian has regen when in 2PD, just to clarify the Lightning does too.
What's the benefit of 1PD. I've not seen a compelling case to use it.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Your statement on how 1PD behaves when canceling cruise control is all the information I need to tell me that 1PD is not for me. Thank you.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Personal driving preference.

1PD is now more comfortable to me and more fun to drive.

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Same. Might be easier in stop and go traffic; if I ever run into a lot of that I may try it again. But in my normal driving, there is no need for it, since two pedal offers full regen in the Lightning. I find moving my leg more is less fatiguing, and I want my braking habits fully intact for those cases when I'm not driving the Lightning.

Ford's implementation of both one and two pedal driving is very good and I agree with the OP that sales people should be highlighting it.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
My point being that the other EVS don't even have a choice. You get regen braking when you let off the accelerator no matter what. There is no option for coasting when you let up the accelerator.

Can be very off-putting for those new to EVs to learn the whole concept.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thanks for the explanation. In my mind, when I'm coming off of cruise control it's usually because something is happening -- something I need to deal with; maybe even a problem. The last thing I want at that point in time is to have to think about implementing something different than what I've been doing for decades. For me it is a deal breaker.

As for the statement that 1PD "makes the rest of driving so much better, smoother, easier to control" I just do not find that the case for me. Based on my experience with 1PD in a Tesla and the Lighting, I find 1PD jerky ( not smooth), I don't see how it provides more control and, therefore, I don't find it better. Just me.

Again, thank you very much for your input.
Sponsored

Last edited: