• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
Surprised the update didnt fix the redundancy of having 2 windshield defrost buttons with in a few inch reach from eachother. One on the touch screen and one physical button.

Always thought the touch screen button could be replaced with something more useful.
Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
AM radio works on both 2022 & 2023 LER & have for quite a while.
AFAIK, it was removed from my 2023 Lightning ER as described below. 6.14 restores AM functionality because of the backlash. Because FM transmission usually doesn't go far over the horizon from the broadcast tower, folks in rural areas of the country were really aghast at Ford's AM removal decision. And AM emergency broadcasts can reach vast areas compared to FM.

Showing my age, I remember Wolfman Jack, broadcasting from Mexico on XERF-AM in the '60's with a 250 kW transmitter (5x FCC limit for U.S. AM!). It could reach all over most of the U.S., especially at night! I listened to it in Philly!

You
Was AM unavailable on Ford Lightnings for a while?

Copilot
Yes, AM radio was unavailable on the Ford F-150 Lightning for a period. Ford decided to remove AM radio from the Lightning and some other models due to concerns about electromagnetic interference from the electric drivetrain affecting AM signal quality. However, this decision faced some backlash from customers who valued AM radio for emergency broadcasts and local news.
Ford later announced that they would reintroduce AM radio in future models of the F-150 Lightning [1]. If you have any specific questions about the features or availability of the F-150 Lightning, feel free to ask!
Source: Conversation with Copilot, 9/8/2024

Last edited:

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice Blue & 2023 Silver ER Lariat Lightnings
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
Jim - I'm pretty sure both of mine have had AM for a while, I'll have to confirm on my 2023 which is in Kerrville, but didn't have 6.14 when I left it last week. There was an update to the Audio on the 2023 several months ago, that may have been where the AM showed up. The 2022 just got 6.14 today & AM 820 (local WBAP) was still pre-programmed on the screen, so I'm pretty sure it was already working as well. I too remember Wolfman Jack. In fact you could dial him up on ADF (Automatic Direction Finder) on airplanes & listen to (and track to it) from all over the country IIRC, been a while back.

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice Blue & 2023 Silver ER Lariat Lightnings
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
Surprised the update didnt fix the redundancy of having 2 windshield defrost buttons with in a few inch reach from eachother. One on the touch screen and one physical button.

Always thought the touch screen button could be replaced with something more useful.
Agree ! How about replacing with a HEAT On/Off button. Now that it's turned cooler, I'm finding the damn Heat on 'cause it's 3 degrees cooler outside than the truck temp setting. And this is with the AC on as well !! Have to turn off the AUTO setting to keep the heat off. Seems rather foolish given the amount of energy the heater consumes. I fought that all last Fall, Winter & Spring :mad:

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
Agree ! How about replacing with a HEAT On/Off button. Now that it's turned cooler, I'm finding the damn Heat on 'cause it's 3 degrees cooler outside than the truck temp setting. And this is with the AC on as well !! Have to turn off the AUTO setting to keep the heat off. Seems rather foolish given the amount of energy the heater consumes. I fought that all last Fall, Winter & Spring :mad:
I would vote for just an "climate off" button. There are times where I get in, start the truck, and the AC (or heat) starts blasting. I might be on a call or something, or it's just nice out and I want to roll with the windows down. Super annoying to have to hit the fan button, then spin the dial to turn everything off. Not to mention when the truck was just started, the UI is super laggy and I often have to try multiple times to turn it off.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I would vote for just an "climate off" button. There are times where I get in, start the truck, and the AC (or heat) starts blasting. I might be on a call or something, or it's just nice out and I want to roll with the windows down. Super annoying to have to hit the fan button, then spin the dial to turn everything off. Not to mention when the truck was just started, the UI is super laggy and I often have to try multiple times to turn it off.
You can turn climate off by pressing the mode button, then off. No need to spin any dials.

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
You can turn climate off by pressing the mode button, then off. No need to spin any dials.
thanks - must have missed that approach. Would also work if the "auto" 1,2,3 phase button cycled thru a zero/off setting (like the heated / cooled seats)

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Jim - I'm pretty sure both of mine have had AM for a while,
Maybe you lucked out and have builds that weren't affected somehow by the AM removal? There is a thread lamenting the removal of AM radio: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/am-radio-solution.13810/.

The 8/9/2022 order guide for the 2023 Lightning also shows AM radio being deleted for 2023 Lightnings (see links in Admin post #1): 2023 F-150 Lightning ORDER GUIDE Released (U.S. & Canada)! | Ford Lightning Forum For F-150 Lightning EV Pickup: News, Owners, Discussions, Community (f150lightningforum.com)

My build was initiated in early 2023, and my Radio app only had FM and Sirius tabs. Now it's got an AM tab after update 6.14.

pjell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Some folks have claimed this fixed some of the CarPlay issues, but I’m still skeptical. I got it Friday and while it may seem a bit snappier, it’s still slow to initially connect a few times. I also still had the issue where it’s connected but when I hit play on something like Spotify, there’s no audio. It requires a re-connect and it’s super annoying.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Some folks have claimed this fixed some of the CarPlay issues, but I’m still skeptical. I got it Friday and while it may seem a bit snappier, it’s still slow to initially connect a few times. I also still had the issue where it’s connected but when I hit play on something like Spotify, there’s no audio. It requires a re-connect and it’s super annoying.
Apparently there is still a release coming focused on Sync and its operations and addresses some CarPlay issues.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Miles to destination now showing on Trip & Calm screen while navigating with Google Maps via Android Auto.

Heading to lunch:

Ford F-150 Lightning Software Update 6.14.0 - Sync Update Ver 23306 Revision: 1076 1726163955664-ml

Heading home

Ford F-150 Lightning Software Update 6.14.0 - Sync Update Ver 23306 Revision: 1076 1726163976340-fx

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting note - for iOS, Google maps will not show the mileage remaining. Apple maps will. On Android Google maps works.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What the heck? You already have your tree up too? 🎅
1726180382246-fo.jpg
The Mrs. REALLY enjoys her holiday music Sirius C-602, that gets switched on when ever she is riding shotgun.