• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
i’m confused are these Apple CarPlay apps or are they apps built into your truck? If they’re on CarPlay, did you manually download them to your phone?
Think of CarPlay as everything running on your phone and the truck is just displaying what the phone tells it to. The apps are all on your phone. The app has to have a CarPlay "version." Only apps designed to work on CarPlay are shown. You can't download separate CarPlay apps on your phone, you just download the regular app.

I didn't pay attention to see if more apps show up now that I have 6.14. If that's the case I assume there is some limitation where the vehicle has to be compatible with each app. This is a just a hypothetical I'm making up, but maybe if your vehicle's screen isn't big enough or the correct aspect ratio or resolution for an app to work like the app designer wants, then it won't show.

I have an older Mazda that uses a command wheel on the console to operate the infotainment and CarPlay apps. I'm sure a lot of apps aren't designed to be operated that way.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Think of CarPlay as everything running on your phone and the truck is just displaying what the phone tells it to. The apps are all on your phone. The app has to have a CarPlay "version." Only apps designed to work on CarPlay are shown. You can't download separate CarPlay apps on your phone, you just download the regular app.

I didn't pay attention to see if more apps show up now that I have 6.14. If that's the case I assume there is some limitation where the vehicle has to be compatible with each app. This is a just a hypothetical I'm making up, but maybe if your vehicle's screen isn't big enough or the correct aspect ratio or resolution for an app to work like the app designer wants, then it won't show.

I have an older Mazda that uses a command wheel on the console to operate the infotainment and CarPlay apps. I'm sure a lot of apps aren't designed to be operated that way.
Thank you for that explanation. That matches my understanding of CarPlay, but I’m not understanding why the gentleman was talking about these new apps that he has.

I also was not aware you can download a 12 V battery app for your phone but then it actually read from the truck. I’m just confused.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Finally got the update this afternoon.

I just noticed it while checking on my end of week charging routine, after returning from lunch run, I parked her in the garage and plugged in at about 1:39 according to the Emporia log, but charging stopped at 1:44. I had not looked at FP until a few minutes ago, noticing that the truck was waiting to start charging at 1pm, weird.

1725650994637-tt.png
1725651092876-ob.png

Low & behold it's 6.14.0, and the START charging button is showing, I clicked it but didn't see a reaction, so I force-stopped the Androis FP app, restarted the app and then clicked START charging.

1725651139565-cu.png
1725651164331-mx.png

Charging commenced and the limiter was showing 100% SOC, so I dialed it back to my preferred 90%

Don't you just love all the info Emporia give you? I have this charger along with the sensors to monitor anything using power in my house. I installed a mister system on my AC unit out side to keep it cooler and can see it runs between 100 and 200 KW less. I had the sensors before the Lighting so getting there charger was a no brainer.
Do you have the sensors?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I also was not aware you can download a 12 V battery app for your phone but then it actually read from the truck. I’m just confused.
You need to research the Car Scanner Elm OBD app. It requires a Bluetooth ODBII dongle plugged in to your OBDII port. Whether on the phone (or now Carplay), it can display dozens of parameters on your car. There are other apps but all require the BT dongle.

I only had three additional apps show up. Beside Car Scanner, I also got Chick-fil-A (but it is testing only, doesn't have any functionality at this point). Car Scanner doesn't show any of the graphs, just a simple text output of the parameters you set up on your phone.

Does have the cool 0-60 test though.
Ford F-150 Lightning Software Update 6.14.0 - Sync Update Ver 23306 Revision: 1076 1725720014812-00

Ford F-150 Lightning Software Update 6.14.0 - Sync Update Ver 23306 Revision: 1076 1725718460601-t

Last edited:

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Thank you for that explanation. That matches my understanding of CarPlay, but I’m not understanding why the gentleman was talking about these new apps that he has.

He has a compatible Bluetooth OBD device. He links it into the Carplay app and then he can get ALL live data from the truck. I do the same, but only from my phone. Time to try it from the truck!

I purchased an OBDLink CX.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Don't you just love all the info Emporia give you? I have this charger along with the sensors to monitor anything using power in my house. I installed a mister system on my AC unit out side to keep it cooler and can see it runs between 100 and 200 KW less. I had the sensors before the Lighting so getting there charger was a no brainer.
Do you have the sensors?
No, only the base unit in my garages independent service, I used the large sensors to track only the FCSP power feeds, I didn't add smaller circuit monitors for the other 3 branch circuits in the garage.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
He has a compatible Bluetooth OBD device. He links it into the Carplay app and then he can get ALL live data from the truck. I do the same, but only from my phone. Time to try it from the truck!

I purchased an OBDLink CX.
Correct. I have the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth device. As others have stated the apps are on my iPhone. CarPlay compatible apps will automatically display in the vehicle when using CarPlay. The great majority of iPhone apps are not CarPlay compatible.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
i’m confused are these Apple CarPlay apps or are they apps built into your truck? If they’re on CarPlay, did you manually download them to your phone?
You have them on your iPhone but they have to be allowed in CarPlay. So that's what's changed. For instance, for me the Target app and MS Teams now show up in CarPlay. Previously, most apps that weren't obviously related to driving were excluded. Something's going on behind the scenes...

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
You have them on your iPhone but they have to be allowed in CarPlay. So that's what's changed. For instance, for me the Target app and MS Teams now show up in CarPlay. Previously, most apps that weren't obviously related to driving were excluded. Something's going on behind the scenes...
App developers have to enable CarPlay and follow the guidelines Apple publishes. It looks like Apple may have added more app types recently that developers are starting to take advantage of.
https://developer.apple.com/carplay/documentation/CarPlay-App-Programming-Guide.pdf

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
Target seems coincidental to me. TARGET just updated their app and added CarPlay support. I have it too.

Sponsored

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
I also got the AM radio tab added today and mine also doesn’t work. When I select it, it does nothing.
I have the AM tab but when I press it......nothing happens. any one else?

Last edited:

wilmerfjohnson

First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT SR,2021 Bronco, 2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner
I have the AM radio option now as well. There are about 9 AM stations with a strong signal in my area (strong enough for my 2018 Fusion and 2021 Bronco to lock on when searching) - but the Lightning won't pick up anything, it scans the entire AM band, then repeats. Next chance I have I will direct tune the AM stations that have a good signal in my area.

I'm GREATLY disappointed that this huge new feature was not mentioned in the release notes posted on the FordPass app.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have the AM radio option now as well. There are about 9 AM stations with a strong signal in my area (strong enough for my 2018 Fusion and 2021 Bronco to lock on when searching) - but the Lightning won't pick up anything, i
Don't know if it could be related to the Lightning model/year, but I have a '23 Lariat ER. The AM toggle works for me, and I can scan for and pick up quite a few AM stations in the San Antonio area after the 6.14 update.

Don't know why, maybe just the road I was traveling, but the local FM stations seemed to come in clearer than usual. I even picked up one from San Marcos, TX (~55 mi away!), loud and clear.

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice Blue & 2023 Silver ER Lariat Lightnings
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
AM radio works on both 2022 & 2023 LER & have for quite a while. Suggest tapping the AM Tab, then dial in a locally available AM band frequency & then save it to one of the memory buttons. Works on both trucks.
Sponsored