First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
This might be a stupid question. Whats the secret to get the tailgate to open? On the fob hit the button twice goes down or up fine. Use the button on the dash or the button on the gate and I can’t figure out what it wants. Some times it’s 3 presses. Sometimes 4-5 presses. I’ve tried 2x quick presses. Sometimes I get a beep. Most times not. Point is I’ve tried many different slower or faster combos and there is nothing that seems to work every time.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
This might be a stupid question. Whats the secret to get the tailgate to open? On the fob hit the button twice goes down or up fine. Use the button on the dash or the button on the gate and I can’t figure out what it wants. Some times it’s 3 presses. Sometimes 4-5 presses. I’ve tried 2x quick presses. Sometimes I get a beep. Most times not. Point is I’ve tried many different slower or faster combos and there is nothing that seems to work every time.
I just press either of those buttons one time and it will go up or down, depending on which position it is in, however, sometimes when it gets to the open or closed position and reverses sometimes? I don’t know if it’s when I hit the lock button while it is in motion or if it just doesn’t randomly.

OP
OP

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I just press either of those buttons one time and it will go up or down, depending on which position it is in, however, sometimes when it gets to the open or closed position and reverses sometimes? I don’t know if it’s when I hit the lock button while it is in motion or if it just doesn’t randomly.
One press only ever closes it. Never opens with one.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If you try to lock the truck before the tailgate is fully closed, the tailgate will reopen.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
I can’t get my key fob to open or close the tailgate on my 24 flash. Is it a setting possibly to prevent it from accidentally opening. Frunk works fine.
Rick

Sponsored

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
When my tonneau cover is closed the seal is so tight I need to try couple times to get tailgate open. No problem when cover is open

OP
OP

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
When my tonneau cover is closed the seal is so tight I need to try couple times to get tailgate open. No problem when cover is open
I thought that might be a possible issue but even with the cover open does not change its behavior. My PB used to be 2 button presses and it opened every time so this is a mystery.

OP
OP

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I can’t get my key fob to open or close the tailgate on my 24 flash. Is it a setting possibly to prevent it from accidentally opening. Frunk works fine.
Rick
Did you check in the center screen? There is a setting for the tailgate but I think it’s power or regular if memory serves.

Robob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24’ Flash
Occupation
Auto Parts & Paint/Body Supplies
mine is 2x press on fob or just 1x press inside to open or close. but it is picky and sometimes if I step away too fast the walk away lock tries to lock it while its moving and it gets mad and beeps at me.
In the winter once snow gets on there I foresee using manual mode

Sponsored
OP
OP

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
mine is 2x press on fob or just 1x press inside to open or close. but it is picky and sometimes if I step away too fast the walk away lock tries to lock it while its moving and it gets mad and beeps at me.
In the winter once snow gets on there I foresee using manual mode
I tried once and it just beeps but nothing happens. But yeah the fob works perfectly every time with 2x presses.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
My driveway has a notable slope (no garage here) and pretty much always when I close the power tailgate in the driveway, it at 1st refuses to close and yells at me, and then on the repeat click attempt it does its job and fully closes. Interestingly, if I use the tailgate's rubber button it always closes on the 1st try.

This never happens on level ground. Nor does it ever happen when opening, in either situation. I think it might have something to do with the increased rotational inertia on the sloped driveway to get the tailgate's weight moving... there might be a sensor in the tailgate's powerlift system to sense too much rotational resistance.

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
My tailgate opens and closes when it so damn pleases. I do not have agency over its decision-making. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that this is expected behaviour of the truck, so I haven't even bothered taking it to to the dealer. (see my previous posts for the damage this has caused)
Sponsored