Sponsored

Leaves in the radiator? Why is it designed like this?

bmm3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser
Fall has barely begun in Georgia and already have leaves back sitting on my radiator. Two obvious questions:

1. Every vehicle I have ever owned has a screen in front of the radiator. Why is this a massive hole in the bumper acting like a vacuum? Is it safe to cover it with a screen? I would think Ford would have done this if there wasn’t a reason.

2. Once you get junk in there (see pic) what’s the easiest way to get it out? It would be like a game of Operation to pull it out without breaking a louvre or damaging the radiator.

Ford F-150 Lightning Leaves in the radiator? Why is it designed like this? IMG_9297
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Fall has barely begun in Georgia and already have leaves back sitting on my radiator. Two obvious questions:

1. Every vehicle I have ever owned has a screen in front of the radiator. Why is this a massive hole in the bumper acting like a vacuum? Is it safe to cover it with a screen? I would think Ford would have done this if there wasn’t a reason.

2. Once you get junk in there (see pic) what’s the easiest way to get it out? It would be like a game of Operation to pull it out without breaking a louvre or damaging the radiator.

IMG_9297.jpeg
The correct answer is probably so they could have the Mega Power Frunk!
My answer is to make things more difficult for us owners!
If you get some kids to clean out the leaves they probably could get their small hands in there without breaking the louvers!

MTcowpoke

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many diesels and a Lightning
Occupation
Rancher
Blowgun on your air compressor and/or a shop vac? Compressed air will get those leave swirling in there and may blow right back out the opening.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Maybe we need a "Reverse Radiator Fan" setting to keep it clean in there.

Fan could automatically come on in the reverse direction when you start driving backwards. :)

Sponsored

Riverant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER

IMG_9297.jpeg
I used BBQ tongs and then bought this on Amazon. https://a.co/d/1O4XhIp
Ford F-150 Lightning Leaves in the radiator? Why is it designed like this? IMG_3362

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
There are some posts in the "What did you do to your Lightning" thread that cover putting on a mesh grill for the opening. Possible some threads specific to it as well. It's a mod I'd like to do at some point, I think it looks good and functional to boot.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
The correct answer is probably so they could have the Mega Power Frunk!
This is exactly the reason. ...so that WE could have the excellent Mega Power Frunk.

BTW: there is a fairly cheap, well-made grille screen that is easy to install in the radiator opening, looks very OEM and keeps stuff from going into the radiator cavity. I have one and can testify... except that now I have to hunt for the aftermarket seller's URL to add here.

Oops - member Lytning just beat me to it.

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Well there is some thinking that the louvers are not open when driving, while I'm not sure of that, I would be apprehensive about using a blow gun to get them out. I would probably just use a crevice tool on my Shop Vac to remove. I also DID install a mesh grill over the opening . . if only for piece of mind. Took about 20 min and looks OEM

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
stuff has been getting stuck in radiators since day 1 of radiators in vehicles. but 2.5 years and 25000 miles of owning i have yet to pull anything out of there
Sponsored