Sponsored

Max tow = range impact? Told by dealer...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've theorized that Max Tow is the reason the Platinum's EPA range is 300 instead of 320 for all other trims. Max Tow is standard on a Platinum and optional on other trims. I've not verified this in any scientific way.
Also the larger wheels.
I believe it's the larger wheels, not Max Tow.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I believe it's the larger wheels, not Max Tow.
I believed that too which is why I bought a set of Lariat take-offs. I wasn't able to detect an efficiency difference with different wheels.

Honestly I don't think I could detect a 0.1 m/kWh difference anyway. Disregard everything I've said.🤣

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
When you use tow mode, the extra cooling does lower range a little, but that's it, no impact when in normal mode.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think 'hearing' from dealers is part of the problem. Dealers, or their employees, rarely own or drive a LIGHTNING, or any ev, for that matter, yet, they somehow have 'heard' that 'this or that' can cause an issue... why would they even SAY that? Are they trying to talk you OUT of a LIGHTNING?

Those of us who own, drive, and have an intimate relationship with our truck know that most of this 'I heard' hearsay is a bunch of malarkey... they talk with no real understanding or experience. Having a LIGHTNING in the dealer's shop bay is not true experience. People always 'say' things, whether they are true in fact, or not.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Sales motives are:
  • Move inventory on the lot
  • Move available inventory at region pools
  • Find inventory for swap from affiliated dealers.
The least amount of effort to make the sale as quickly as possible!!

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
Unless someone has a technical diagram, I am going to use my preconditioning to see how much electricity I use I have it set to high temp 😂
55* out side coldish battery
Truck set for 740 departure
7:21 peak 11.5 kw
7:22 drops to 2 kw
7:23 to 7:40 leave less than 1KW
don’t see like a PTC heater is kicking on I know it jumped to 11.5 because the truck was at 89%.😂

Ford F-150 Lightning Max tow = range impact? Told by dealer... IMG_1030
Ford F-150 Lightning Max tow = range impact? Told by dealer... IMG_1031

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Unless someone has a technical diagram, I am going to use my preconditioning to see how much electricity I use I have it set to high temp 😂
don’t see like a PTC heater is kicking on I know it jumped to 11.5 because the truck was at 89%.😂

IMG_1030.jpeg
IMG_1031.jpeg
Yes, that brief peak load was the OBC topping up your HVB.

Like to see the "by the minute" snap shots a couple minutes after the battery returned to 90% SOC goal, I bet it's a lot less than the PTC values of around 5-6 KW

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
Yes, that brief peak load was the OBC topping up your HVB.

Like to see the "by the minute" snap shots a couple minutes after the battery returned to 90% SOC goal, I bet it's a lot less than the PTC values of around 5-6 KW
@TaxmanHog
Yep drops to less 2 kw then all the way down to less than 1 kw till I leave

Ford F-150 Lightning Max tow = range impact? Told by dealer... IMG_1032

Ford F-150 Lightning Max tow = range impact? Told by dealer... IMG_1033
Ford F-150 Lightning Max tow = range impact? Told by dealer... IMG_1034

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
Ignoring the lies most dealers will tell to sell a vehicle... Do the math.

The extra weight is negligible. Less than 1% weight difference from the added components, which translates to less than 1% range difference. Weight matters for acceleration energy cost, and we do more acceleration than most people believe (for example, changing direction on a wide curve highway is an acceleration even when done at a constant speed). But because F=ma is linear with mass, you'll see less than 1% change in energy cost due to the extra weight.

The extra cooling, when on, will draw about 5 kW. That can add up if you're hauling a long distance. Say you're towing for an hour in Death Valley in the summer...you'll need that cooler on and you'll use ~5kWh. Out of 130 kWh of battery on the ER, that extra use is about 3.8%, or about 6 miles out of ~150 miles range while towing.

Total range decrease due to having and using max tow is less than about 4% while towing in a hot environment. But it preserves long-term battery life.

You can gain that range back by slowing down a few mph. Once drag becomes dominant, the total energy cost to move the vehicle is proportional to speed cubed (aerodynamic drag introduces another multiple of velocity that's not accounted for in E=1/2m*v^2).

OP
OP
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID4 pro S, possibly '24 Lightning Flash

IMG_1030.jpeg
IMG_1031.jpeg

K, as a data nerd, what are you using to generate these? Is this from an aftermarket thing or is it in the ford app (which I obviously don't have yet since I don't have a truck yet)?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
we've also determined that 'Max Tow' is simply an additional compressor, like running your air conditioner, but ONLY when it is required... so.... I would doubt you'd ever notice any 'real' degradation in the battery soc or miles.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID4 pro S, possibly '24 Lightning Flash
Ignoring the lies most dealers will tell to sell a vehicle... Do the math.

The extra weight is negligible. Less than 1% weight difference from the added components, which translates to less than 1% range difference. Weight matters for acceleration energy cost, and we do more acceleration than most people believe (for example, changing direction on a wide curve highway is an acceleration even when done at a constant speed). But because F=ma is linear with mass, you'll see less than 1% change in energy cost due to the extra weight.

The extra cooling, when on, will draw about 5 kW. That can add up if you're hauling a long distance. Say you're towing for an hour in Death Valley in the summer...you'll need that cooler on and you'll use ~5kWh. Out of 130 kWh of battery on the ER, that extra use is about 3.8%, or about 6 miles out of ~150 miles range while towing.

Total range decrease due to having and using max tow is less than about 4% while towing in a hot environment. But it preserves long-term battery life.

You can gain that range back by slowing down a few mph. Once drag becomes dominant, the total energy cost to move the vehicle is proportional to speed cubed (aerodynamic drag introduces another multiple of velocity that's not accounted for in E=1/2m*v^2).
Yes I agree the mass is negligible. I've even seen some you tube tests of having 1500lbs or something in the bed, with minimal aerodynamic changes, and the efficiency barely moved. Like under 10% worse.

As for the power consumption while it's on, I guess that's the real source. And as a non owner (yet), I can't find good reliable info about how these systems work or not.

The dealer was implying that the cooling/temp mgmt systems ran all the time, alongside the regular thermal mgmt system, and that was the cause.

Regardless, it sounds like the truck were gonna get brought in will NOT have the max tow.

But it will have the AT tires. So, @RickLightning, curious if you have a comparison for how bad it is?

Thanks all. These boards are so helpful for the EV scene since dealers are seemingly near useless
Sponsored