First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Tesla Model X Plaid, 2024 Model Y AWD
Occupation
Retired Army
EV Owner since 2013 (5 Teslas; 3 S's, 1 X, 1 Y + Zero FX Motorcycle) Cancelled my CT Cyber Beast and picked up a 2024 Platinum ($20K price reduction + zero % APR, sealed the deal for me, I didn't get the $7500 fed rebate, due to personal financial situation)

2500 miles in less than a month.
2.3 miles per kWH
Lead foot (that is getting less aggressive with age)
.05 per kWH on NOVEC here in Virginia on EV1 rate plan (11PM to 6AM)

16 kWH Solar array (banked $800 in Grid connected net metering this summer)
Charging 3 cars (Lightning, Model X and Model Y), electric bill is never over $100 per month for a 5500 SF home (6 Frigs/freezer, 2 variable speed high efficiency heat pumps, 50K gallon pool with two pumps, 2 hot tubs, whole house is high efficiency with closed cell spray foam, triple pane windows and supplemental heating using a wood stove with catalytic smoke burner, all lightning LED with Zigbee/zwave controls)

I Fing love this truck, my wife admitted she likes it better than her 2024 Model X PLAID.....she is on her 2nd Tesla, had a Model S before. She especially likes the heated/cooled massaging seats. I like the power moonroof, turn signal stalks, and buttons, verses everything on screen. I also love the Air Play system and WAZE on screen!!!!
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
As an EV owner and independent BEV consultant that drives an average of 1k miles/month, I think @Ford Motor Company has simply identified a moment in time on the change curve for US consumers, Resistance. People further ahead on the change curve that have started to explore the possibilities and opportunities of EV ownership are experiencing much greater success than ever imagined.

Why? Because an alarming amount of the information “pushed” out for public consideration is fear-based and mostly false.

Although I took delivery of my first-ever BEV in October of 2023, I anxiously placed the order in May of 2021. Now, with three years of research, fact finding, testing, measuring, reporting and ownership experience, I have landed on the most valuable and effective approach to combat misinformation and unintentional ignorance when I’m asked about my 2023 Ford F150 Lightning.

My answer to EVERY question asked of me by clients or the general public?

“Everything you have ever heard or read about this truck is false. Ask me why.”

My BEV ownership experience with this truck far exceeds my initial expectations and continues to improve as performance updates are added to the vehicle. I use the at-home charging system as my primary source for power, and use my truck as my “daily driver” so I have only needed to use public charging twice. My electricity bill has gone down due to Time Of Use pricing from my electric provider (0.056 per kWh from 11 pm to 6 am) and my gasoline bill is $0.00 each month.

Current Stats:
10,000 miles
2.5 miles per kWh
4000 kWh used
$0.056 per KWh
$224 total cost
$0.0224 per mile

In an effort to keep this post shorter, I’ll let you decide if just over two cents a mile is worth the effort to learn more about BEV ownership.

Ask me why!
IF we could all enjoy the factors that contributed to your cost of operation !!!

I'm loving my '22 Lightning Lariat ER, but simple facts are 33.3 c/kwh and time of use pricing for energy is not offered by my utility, this fact makes the experiences of every forum member unique and in some cases not so advantageous.

6109 miles = 17.9 c/mile

1729605810945-pb.jpg
Completely agree that almost everyone’s situation is a little different! I.e. cost of ownership, cost of charging, etc.
it is nice not having to do all the small and not so small maintenance items, I had to change the oil in my daughter‘s Ford fusion hybrid last weekend.-love, not having to do that with the Lightning!
I think it is ridiculous if states are charging you way more to drive an EV! Texas charges $200 extra for registration due to the loss of the gas taxes to help pay for road maintenance. I don’t love it, but that seems reasonable as we need roads repaired!

lipnorth

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford 150 Lightning Lariat
My entire savings in fuel is negated by the AZ vehicle license tax (based off MSRP). Going from a $22k vehicle to an $80k vehicle was a 5x increase in my annual fee. That said, I'd do it again.
Any 80k vehicle would incur that same tax, no?

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
As an EV owner and independent BEV consultant that drives an average of 1k miles/month, I think @Ford Motor Company has simply identified a moment in time on the change curve for US consumers, Resistance. People further ahead on the change curve that have started to explore the possibilities and opportunities of EV ownership are experiencing much greater success than ever imagined.

Why? Because an alarming amount of the information “pushed” out for public consideration is fear-based and mostly false.

Although I took delivery of my first-ever BEV in October of 2023, I anxiously placed the order in May of 2021. Now, with three years of research, fact finding, testing, measuring, reporting and ownership experience, I have landed on the most valuable and effective approach to combat misinformation and unintentional ignorance when I’m asked about my 2023 Ford F150 Lightning.

My answer to EVERY question asked of me by clients or the general public?

“Everything you have ever heard or read about this truck is false. Ask me why.”

My BEV ownership experience with this truck far exceeds my initial expectations and continues to improve as performance updates are added to the vehicle. I use the at-home charging system as my primary source for power, and use my truck as my “daily driver” so I have only needed to use public charging twice. My electricity bill has gone down due to Time Of Use pricing from my electric provider (0.056 per kWh from 11 pm to 6 am) and my gasoline bill is $0.00 each month.

Current Stats:
10,000 miles
2.5 miles per kWh
4000 kWh used
$0.056 per KWh
$224 total cost
$0.0224 per mile

In an effort to keep this post shorter, I’ll let you decide if just over two cents a mile is worth the effort to learn more about BEV ownership.

Ask me why!
My cost per mile is also about $.02. Easy to calculate as I generate all my electricity with solar panels on my roof. At the end of the year I get a check from the local electric company- they only pay me $.05 per kWh so that is essentially my marginal cost. If I used less electricity I would get a bigger check but $.05 per kWh is the wholesale cost of electricity in this area.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Any 80k vehicle would incur that same tax, no?
https://arizona-vlt-calculator.pages.dev/
The price decreases each year

EDIT: Looks like I under estimated the increase. I'd forgotten how cheap it is to register a vehicle after owning it for a long time. I went from ~$150 to ~$1300, looks like I'll be under $1k next year.
Sponsored