12 Inch Versus 15 Inch Screen

rhscnative

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Have you been a user of both the 12" and 15" screen? If so which do you prefer? I have the 12. My sales guy said he liked the 12 better and I think he was being candid because I wasn't yet committed to the truck I wound up purchasing (XLT). I haven't used the 15. Do you know if Ford plans to continue the 12? Thanks.
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Have you been a user of both the 12" and 15" screen? If so which do you prefer? I have the 12. My sales guy said he liked the 12 better and I think he was being candid because I wasn't yet committed to the truck I wound up purchasing (XLT). I haven't used the 15. Do you know if Ford plans to continue the 12? Thanks.
Size doesn’t matter as long as you know how to use it 😉👊🏻and Ford knows.

The 12” display is the ideal for me. You have physical buttons, you don’t have the floating IPad feel, and you don’t have that oddly looking capacitive dial hot glued to the display.

I would like the 15” display more if it was in the landscape direction. The portrait mode look is not my jam.

Then I saved close to $7,000 so 🤷‍♂️

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I had the 12 inch screen on my 2021 ICE Lariat. I have the 15 inch on my 2022 Lightning and Mach-E.

The 12 inch screen, coupled with the physical buttons, is hands down the better system. Between the better resolution, landscape orientation, and the physical buttons, the 12 inch is far superior to the lower resolution, laggy, sluggish 15 inch screen that is nothing but a large fingerprint magnet.

Sponsored

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
I think the 15" screen looks cool.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
If the lariat came with the 12 inch as an option I would have taken it. Gimme buttons!

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Personally, I like the 15 inch screen! I read a lot of the complaints about it and don’t entirely disagree with them, but after you use it for a while it’s not that big a deal. I was used to buttons and knobs(my 2016 expedition kinda had both) It was a bit easier, but this is not super difficult.

Sponsored

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Used both and preferred the 15” clean look. I do not have any issue using the screen so far.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Me too. And the 18" wheels and tires with moonroof delete.
The only negative I see is there is no aftermarket tire options for the 18" wheel.

The 12 inch screen is standard on the ice f150 so that will be supported for at least another 3 years.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
That would be me, I had the 2020 ICE Lariat with the 12” screen and have the 2023 Lightning Lariat with the 15”.

I prefer the 12” with the buttons but the 15” is not horrible.

• Con: the dashboard on the 15” is a lot cheaper, just a solid plastic tray rather than the stitched leather of the 12”. Even the XLT looks better than the Lariat in this respect, IMO.
  • Con: Setting the heated/cooled seat is a PITA and you have to take your eyes off the road.
  • Meh: Heating controls are not as bad as I thought they would be but the center volume knob sharing dual duty with climate control is a bit funky
  • Pro: mapping is much better on the big screen
  • Pro: the backup camera/360 camera are much better
  • Con: Fingerprints!
  • Con: Looks like an IPad glued to the dash
  • Pro: youtube looks great on it
  • Con: the system is a bit slow to boot up, if you want the 360 camera right after starting you will have to wait.
So you get used to it. My wife hated it especially the look but she has gotten used to it and says that she prefers it now. I think it is better for the passenger. I probably would have preferred the 12” but the XLT was not available, and in reality we probably would have gone with the Lariat anyway because it is hard to step down a level - and for my unique requirements (Ferries) the power fold mirrors are necessary.

Note that I have a Lariat SR (without the darn noisy, hot, potentially leaky sunroof) and that configuration no longer exists in leather.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
no aftermarket tire options for the 18" wheel.
? Really ? You can get tires in all types of sizes these days.

I run AA 99.9% of the time so the 15" screen is superior.

For me, the buttons are unnecessary as the climate is in auto mode all the time.

Before I ever sat in the truck I thought that the big screen would be a distraction but it is positioned conveniently and is not a distraction at all.

The tech is secondary to the driving experience for me and driving it is a joy.
Sponsored