• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2024 Tax Credit Screw Up

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
I bought my Lightning from a dealer 1/30/2024, my out the door price included the POS federal rebate. The dealer assured me they would provide the IRS required “sales sheet” within 3 days.
It’s been a week and still no sheet. So we blew the 3 day IRS window.
The finance guy said they screwed up the online registration (I was the guinea pig for the 2024 rebate). He wanted to simply redo the paperwork, but couldn’t since I registered the truck and was no longer on temp plates. He was going to do some more legwork, and I’m waiting to hear back.
Without the sales sheet I don’t see how I can file using the POS workflow. I have no idea who is on the hook for the rebate in this situation. What I want to know is, should I just write them a check for the 7500 then make a claim on my 2024 return? Is there any way I’m going to get screwed here?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
If they've totally messed this up and can not credit the sales agreement with the $7500, then complete the purchase w/o it and file for the credit in the spring of 2025 when you file your 1040-2024.

Make sure they give you a form 15400!!!!!

Hopefully you're not at the low income tax margin where the credit might be reduced or null, if so then you won't benefit and will have missed the opportunity to legitimately secured the credit during purchase now.

Federal Tax Credits for Plug-in Electric and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After (fueleconomy.gov)

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I’m also not fully understanding the issue. If they gave you $7500 off the sale price then you’re only concern will be do you meet the income limit. My understanding is that’s the only way the IRS can prevent you from keeping the $7500.

The dealer may be out but that’s on them for not understanding a well documented process.

They are on the hook. Do not write them a check.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mags

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Thanks for the replies! I do qualify for the 2024 credit, so nothing to worry about there. I guess they screwed the pooch.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The dealer may be out but that’s on them for not understanding a well documented process.
There is a very narrow window for them to process the credit validation in the system, which has been effed up the past 5 weeks, I got another email alert that they gave dealers a little more time to get some data reports in by the end of Feb for recent sales. This is discouraging to hear and likely confusing to some dealers. Another H.C. administration fiasco in the making, but for the moment only affects the EV enthusiast population, not the entire population of the country.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
Here is what dealer was supposed to do and what customer was supposed to do.
Ford F-150 Lightning 2024 Tax Credit Screw Up IMG_6770

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Hey folks, So, Please help me here . . regarding the $7,500 tax credit.
I assumed (not good) that all I needed to do was let my Tax preparer know I bought the EV truck (2023-12-21) with corresponding documentation and they would add that to a line item on my taxes. I was not given the opportunity to transfer the credit to my dealer and get the upfront reduction in the price I paid....am I missing something.

( Knowledge is learning from your own mistakes. Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others... )

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Hey folks, So, Please help me here . . regarding the $7,500 tax credit.
I assumed (not good) that all I needed to do was let my Tax preparer know I bought the EV truck (2023-12-21) with corresponding documentation and they would add that to a line item on my taxes. I was not given the opportunity to transfer the credit to my dealer and get the upfront reduction in the price I paid....am I missing something.

( Knowledge is learning from your own mistakes. Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others... )
You bought in 2023, so that's exactly how it works. In 2024, the dealership can take the credit and give it to you right then, or not. Your (and their) choice.

OP
OP
mags

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Here is what dealer was supposed to do and what customer was supposed to do.
IMG_6770.jpg
Yeah I had a similar checklist for my state and federal rebates. At the time of sale the dealer was not able to get in to the IRS portal. They promised they would have it squared away. I guess the risk is all on them.
I did hear from them today and it sounds like the IRS gave an extension and it’s all being sorted out. As TaxmanHog said, it sounds like the IRS portal is a problem.
Sponsored