• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Has anyone done a DCFC in these temps with cold battery without preconditioning? Curious if it delays charging once you plug in and only starts once it reaches a minimum temp, or it stats charging very slow and speeds up gradually as it warms up, or it jams the electrons in from the start, damn the SOH.
Sponsored

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer
My last truck, which had a baby diesel engine, would start in -40; that was not with the engine block heater plugged in either! Granted I used a decent amount of additive in the winter to keep thing moving; at that temp though it could take the cab over an hour to heat.

So far I have only hit a few degrees below zero in the Lightning. Today I drove 104 miles on the highway from 100% charge on my SR; I think I ended with about 25% charge. It was in my garage and was prewarmed/conditioned before I left. I drove 5 under the speed limit most of the time, and did not have things super warm, as I am still getting over range anxiety!

First Name
Torrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Has anyone done a DCFC in these temps with cold battery without preconditioning? Curious if it delays charging once you plug in and only starts once it reaches a minimum temp, or it stats charging very slow and speeds up gradually as it warms up, or it jams the electrons in from the start, damn the SOH.
With preconditioning I was getting over 160 kW in 7 degrees on a trip to Canada a few weeks ago.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I never looked at how the graphs shows available power.

Here is my dash tonight after my truck sitting in parking lot at work for 10 hours at 11 degrees F...

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 20240115_235838

Sponsored

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I did two DCFC sessions, one in Bozeman MT at -20. Not Pre-conditioned was at 146kw. The second was a scheduled stop thru navigation at -10 got 136kw. A Rivian next to me was getting 110 kw. (A side note my level 2 at -30 took 12 hours at 8kw to get to 100%)

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I did two DCFC sessions, one in Bozeman MT at -20. Not Pre-conditioned was at 146kw. The second was a scheduled stop thru navigation at -10 got 136kw. A Rivian next to me was getting 110 kw. (A side note my level 2 at -30 took 12 hours at 8kw to get to 100%)
Some other notes on supreme cold. While precondition warms the battery and cabin, as opposed to ICE, nothing else is warmed up. The water from the windshield flowed into the wiper well and down by the charge port and froze everything in solid blocks of ice. A heat gun would have been nice. Made a solution of alcohol and water. Took a while but worked. I kept a spray bottle for cameras and sensors the would keep icing up.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The vehicle communicates to the DC charger what level of charge it can accept. Ford has recommended from day one to turn off your car heater for the first 10 to 15 minutes of DC charging so that all heat can be sent to the battery.

If you navigate to the charger, the truck will precondition the battery starting at 18.6 miles away (charger must be identified as a charger by the navigation, little charger symbol next to it).

Worse case, charging will be slower while the battery warms up, then speed up.

Many cases in the past of the charger itself being slow due to frigid temps.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did two DCFC sessions, one in Bozeman MT at -20. Not Pre-conditioned was at 146kw
Do you remember when you got there what percent Your power bar or battery temp bar was at?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I never looked at how the graphs shows available power.

Here is my dash tonight after my truck sitting in parking lot at work for 10 hours at 11 degrees F...

20240115_235838.jpg
Similar experience this morning, truck was parked overnight in the garage which was about 35 or so degrees due to residual heat from my MC workshop nextdoor, the Lightning showed 100% available power to the motors, with a SOC of 71%. I'm letting the SOC drop the rest of the week to validate another observation in another thread.

After shoveling out 5000 square of 2" fluffy snow, I pulled the truck out and took the lill lady to breakfast place a couple miles down the road, still had 100% to the motors, I used 2PD to have better feel and control of the slick neighborhood streets before reaching the state highway, which is well maintained.

It sat in the parking lot chilling in the 28° air, no more than 45 minutes, when we were ready to head out, the available motor energy was limited to 95%, looks like the chill brought this change on.

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 1705418182557

Now back at the house, and flurries continuing, I parked her in the garage, where slightly milder temps will melt any snow and moderate the battery temps, I anticipate seeing the available power going back up, also the afternoon run will be milder outside as well, remains to be seen how the recovery goes.

Film, at 1400+ hours

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another data point here. I had never plugged in to condition the battery in the past but truck told me to do it so I did. Here is how it went:

At 10:31 AM, Battery was at 26.6 F and I had 41.33 KWh energy available.

Plugged in around 10:40 AM (I may be off a minute or two here). Second screen shot is at 10:43. There is no charging going on here. Just conditioning and as you can see it is using 6.24 KW to heat up the battery.

At 10:53 when battery temp is at 41 F, Conditioning stops At this point Energy available increases to 45.39 KWh.

So I spent 1.35 Kwh (13 minutes at 6.24 KW) to get 4.06 Kwh (45.39-41.33) back. This is battery being half full. If you are at higher SOC, I assume, you get more back. So the the idea that conditioning is not worth it, may not hold water in most cases. That is if you condition right before you leave. On the other hand if you keep it plugged in for extended period and spend a lot of energy keeping the battery warm without going anywhere, all bets are off. I have no idea what the implications of conditioning is for SOH if any.

Another consideration is if ambient temp is really low, you drive off and your battery gets cold fast, you may lose some of the energy you got back.

I have no idea how fast battery cools down when it is parked and at what temp the heater kicks in again. May be one of you guys can take over from here.

p.s. It looks like your 12V battery get juiced while preconditioning.

10:31 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience Screenshot_20240116_103148

10:43 AM

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience Screenshot_20240116_104312

10:53 Am, Stopped conditioning

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience Screenshot_20240116_105328

10:53 Second screenshot:

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience Screenshot_20240116_105335

Last edited:

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Do you remember when you got there what percent Your power bar or battery temp bar was at?
No I don't exactly on the temp guage, I was watching the guage for changes to see if it preconditioned but it does not move much ever. I was at 38%. Went from 85% to 35% over 140 miles with two mountain passes at 66mph.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Film, at 1400+ hours
Update on my observations, due to extra blast of snowfall and then sleet & rain I held out on phase two of shoveling the driveway until 14:30 hrs, then a quick road trip to the coffee shop for a hot one, this is what I have at 16:36

Power was still limited, actually 1% lower, temps were just above freezing in the garage @33 and @32 outside, with the extra remote start sessions, SOC is dropping just for cabin warming.

Continuing the experiment, tonight will be frigid, I will be plugged into the FCSP @80 amp but no charging, I'm connected to see if the truck makes a call for energy overnight to autonomously condition the battery (no departure time scheduled), in the morning I will us remote start and grid energy for 15 minutes for cabin warming only) It will be interesting to see if the available power [94%] rises or falls by morning.

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 1705446777366

42 degr in the MC shop next door

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 1705446861871

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This morning it was 15 degrees in the open air, garage where truck is parked was 23.
Truck was plugged in overnight, not one KWH of energy was consumed to maintain pack temp.
Remote start for ~10 minutes to get cabin warm on grid, consuming 1.06 KWH

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 1705501274412

After a couple hours in the open cold air, and some idling with the cabin temp set for 72.

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 1705501439048

Low temps overnight the rest of the week will be in the area of 15°, not as bad as you folks in the midwest, Canada or Alaska..

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
After sitting in the parking lot at work for 10 hours, unplugged, the temperature was 6 degrees F and my power was reduced even more, down to 84 percent this time. It always starts up, warms the cabin quickly and drives just fine though.

Ford F-150 Lightning -20F to -30F performance and experience 20240117_001052
Sponsored