• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any advise for tinting - especially the moonroof?

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
I test drove a Lightning Lariat XR this past weekend then put in an order earlier this week. Once it comes in I'm going to get it tinted.

It was a hot day when I test drove and I was surprised how much hotter the interior of the truck was with the shade hidden compared to my Model S. I'm definitely going ceramic and thinking a 10% tint on the moonroof, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Also any other recommendations on the front/side/back window would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I did 50% on top, 15% around the back and rear windows, 25% front windows, and 70% on the windshield. I live in both an extremely sunny and warm / humid area, I've found this to work great. On the hottest days I'll keep the shade shut but otherwise I'll open it and shut it when I park.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
I have had a Model S for 8 years now. The top glass is great for heat rejection never needed to think about tint. I test-drove the Lariat ER with a moonroof on a 110-degree day I came away with the same impression no need for tint or just close the cover on super hot days

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This ^^^

Some people just want to spend money.

OP
OP
trailcat

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
I have had a Model S for 8 years now. The top glass is great for heat rejection never needed to think about tint. I test-drove the Lariat ER with a moonroof on a 110-degree day I came away with the same impression no need for tint or just close the cover on super hot days
I like having some light enter the cabin during the day so I don't want to always be forced to use the sunshade if it's sunny/hot outside. With the Model S, I have no issues even on 100 degree days so there was no need to add additional tinting.

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure where everyone lives or even OP. I will say in my neck of the woods, most Teslas either tint the sunroof or manually put a shade in due to the intense sunlight and triple digit temps. I think it's entirely dependent on where you live and the conditions you're in. Even with tint and the sun shade closed, the truck can feel awfully warm when it's pushing over 100F midday. The sun shade in the windshield burns my fingers even after an hour parked outside.

It is quite the warm summer.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure where everyone lives or even OP.
The information is at your fingertips, for those who share that is ..... EARTH?????

Ford F-150 Lightning Any advise for tinting - especially the moonroof? 1690516124566

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ah okay, I almost exclusively browse here on my phone where the expanded profile doesn't show up. Yah in Washington you probably don't need to worry about tint at all. I live and work all along the gulf coast which is a different beast. I'm wary of how much I put online these days, so Earth it is.

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
i have ceramic all around. 70% on the roof, windshield and front windows. 30% in the back. i love it. i leave the sunshade open because i love the sun light and with the ceramic tint the heat is blocked very well. cost about 1200 but again, i love it.

Reactions: OFP

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
i have ceramic all around. 70% on the roof, windshield and front windows. 30% in the back. i love it. i leave the sunshade open because i love the sun light and with the ceramic tint the heat is blocked very well. cost about 1200 but again, i love it.

I have been wondering if I should tint my moonroof. I also love the sunlight coming thru the roof but the factory tint in the roof is not quite enough for me. I have 35 percent ceramic tint on the front 2 windows and 80 percent ceramic on the windshield and this makes such a great difference in keeping the cabin much cooler. I was thinking about adding an 80, or even a 50 percent on the moonroof. I didn't think people added tint to the roof but I guess it is more popular than I thought.

What do yo guys think about tinting your roofs and who else has tinted their windows?

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I have been wondering if I should tint my moonroof. I also love the sunlight coming thru the roof but the factory tint in the roof is not quite enough for me. I have 35 percent ceramic tint on the front 2 windows and 80 percent ceramic on the windshield and this makes such a great difference in keeping the cabin much cooler. I was thinking about adding an 80, or even a 50 percent on the moonroof. I didn't think people added tint to the roof but I guess it is more popular than I thought.

What do yo guys think about tinting your roofs and who else has tinted their windows?
You could probably get away with like 60-70% ceramic unless you wanted it darker.

I've had my truck for a little under 2 years and have been slacking on getting the front windows to match the back doors.

..but now that I keep looking for a Lariat ER I opt to delay a bit more.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I did clear on the front, and 5% on all the rest, including the moonroof. I'm in Las Vegas, so it is very much needed.

I can't stress enough how much of a difference the clear (it might be called 90% or some such) stuff on the windshield makes. I will never own another vehicle without it.

In LV, almost everyone has the darkest tint they can get. Without it, the A/C will never catch up in the summer. Good tint, combined with preconditioning, makes a world of difference.

On my prior truck, a 2005 F350, I had neglected to get the moonroof tinted. And I didn't realize how much I was suffering with it until when I took it in many years later to get it retinted, and had them do the moonroof at the same time. Night and day difference. Even though that truck had a rigid shade, it was amazing just how much heat came through that right into the top of my head. As soon as I got that moonroof tinted, it was a night and day difference.

If I lived in a northern climate, this probably wouldn't matter as much. Summer is shorter, and not nearly as intense. But in LV, we practically live in the depths of hell for 3 months of the year. Gotta do what we gotta do. :)

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I just did Xpel XR plus - with ceramic to maximize IR reduction

I Also wanted to do the light bar, but the tint company didn’t want to

we shall see!

Ford F-150 Lightning Any advise for tinting - especially the moonroof? IMG_5494

Church

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat Ext. range
Occupation
County Health Director
I did 50% on top, 15% around the back and rear windows, 25% front windows, and 70% on the windshield. I live in both an extremely sunny and warm / humid area, I've found this to work great. On the hottest days I'll keep the shade shut but otherwise I'll open it and shut it when I park.
Yeah, I’m about to uses this as the rough draft for mine. NW Tennesse sounds the same climate wise.
Did you do your whole windshield? I’ve seen a couple ICE’s with tenting on the entire window.
Sponsored