• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any range gain within spare removed?

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
I have a couple of thoughts on thatā€¦ I don't think it will help. Yes it will be easier to access but how often do you have a flat tire and need to use the spare?

cons: occupies the bed, it's exposed to the sun and will get dry rot, you're carrying the same amount of weight, and it makes the area behind the axles much rougher with a big hollow empty space that would act like a parachute aerodynamically.
Oh, I not concerned about weight, I just want ease of access and I have a tent over my bed, and the last time I got a flat I wished it was in the bed where its empty 99% of the time.
Ford F-150 Lightning Any range gain within spare removed? 20231227_124827[1]

citengr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I know it doesn't remove much weight but it surely affects aero. Anyone remove their spare and test to see if there is any potential to gain a little range? Understand the "no spare is not smart" debate and I am good with not having a spare tire....
About 10% better by removing both the spare tire and tailgate. The weight of my 2023 XLT dropped from 6100 to 5960#. For those who don't know, 6000# is a magic number tax-wise in California. Instead of 2-2.3 miles/Kwh, I got 2.3-2.5 MKH. The catch is that the 360 camera will not work. BTW, the rim and tire of the spare are not the same as the regular tires.

Also, just a reminder to all readers, put a chain to lock your spare. Somebody stole my spare from 1999 F150 by cutting the cable.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
About 10% better by removing both the spare tire and tailgate. The weight of my 2023 XLT dropped from 6100 to 5960#. For those who don't know, 6000# is a magic number tax-wise in California. Instead of 2-2.3 miles/Kwh, I got 2.3-2.5 MKH. The catch is that the 360 camera will not work. BTW, the rim and tire of the spare are not the same as the regular tires.

Also, just a reminder to all readers, put a chain to lock your spare. Somebody stole my spare from 1999 F150 by cutting the cable.
Aerodynamics are *much* worse with the tailgate removed. This has been well known for quite a while, MythBusters even did an episode on it.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Yeah, no. As was just posted, removing the tailgate loses range.

Ah, California. Paradise. Where people steal spares...

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Just an FYI: Iā€™ve used the Jack three times now, and itā€™s worked great every time. The only issue I had was wrapping it back up in the sack, I have no idea if Iā€™m pointing it the right direction when I put it back.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Just an FYI: Iā€™ve used the Jack three times now, and itā€™s worked great every time. The only issue I had was wrapping it back up in the sack, I have no idea if Iā€™m pointing it the right direction when I put it back.
Mine is still in the bed cuz I'm too lazy to wind it back closed. :D

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Not sure exactly how much improvement I got, but I feel the underside is quieter and the airflow is definitely smoother by putting a hard plastic cover on the spare. Looks better from the rear too.

Don't remove the spare, aero will be significantly worse. Bumper would act like a parachute. Best to smooth the air with this since weight isn't a big consideration.

This one fits perfect and I've had zero issues for a year now.

Hummer H3-33" Rigid Tire Cover (Plastic Face & Vinyl Band) - Black Textured
https://a.co/d/5vjUYAW

IMG_8236.jpeg
IMG_8237.jpeg
IMG_8238.jpeg
I intend to keep this truck over 100,000 miles (maybe "forever" haha) and I tend to travel all over the USA so I just got this Hummer spare wheel cover for my extra (5th) regular OEM spare wheel I got off EBay.

I figure if it saves "only" 0.1 kW over my usual kW use, over the life of the truck it'll more than pay for itself... not to mention the residual potential range flexibility gains on long trips. Really, any electricity it saves because of smoother underbody aerodynamics = a good gain for our flying brick truck.

It's well made and it does look good. It just came in today.

Last edited:

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I intend to keep this truck over 100,000 miles (maybe "forever" haha) and I tend to travel all over the USA so I just got this Hummer spare wheel cover for my extra (5th) regular OEM spare wheel I got off EBay.

I figure if it saves "only" 0.1 kW over my usual kW use, over the life of the truck it'll more than pay for itself... not to mention the residual potential range flexibility gains on long trips. Really, any electricity it saves because of smoother underbody aerodynamics = a good gain for our flying brick truck.

It's well made and it does look good. It just came in today.
Glad you like it. I just looked under the truck at mine and it still looks brand new. Over 15,000 miles now. You don't realize how ugly the spare is from the back until it's protected with a cover
Sponsored