• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone getting Concerned that Ford is not in on EV for the long haul

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I think Fords just adjusting to reality. Remember about this time last year? They were shut down for a few weeks retooling, adding another shift and ready to ship as many as $150,000 Lightnings per year. But it's clear now that that number won't be hit for a number of years. 24k in 2023 and possibly 30-35k this year. to expect EV growth to continue at 50% plus was unrealistic. But 30% growth is nothing feel bad about. Everyone's projections EV growth (especially our government) were way outta line.
Sponsored

Ferroxide

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning-Flash
Disappointing news to some extent but not unexpected by any stretch given current costs of EV's. But, to hear the Ford Execs. mention lack of infrastructure is frustrating. Stop complaining about lack of charging infrastructure and do something about it. Stop supporting those who throw up road blocks to increasing charging locations and support those who want a resolution that'll help your vision of greater EV sales and broader usage., and acceptance.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
We are a bunch of enthusiast here so of course the article that came out today is a wrench in the gears but Ford needs time to "regroup". My buying experience absolutely sucked, the dealerships here did not want to sell me a Lightning, the wanted me to look at the Tremors and Powerboost....I was trading in a Leveled 2019 STX getting 16 MPG, I wasn't looking for another ICE, I have a spare car.

We are in a weird spot where the infrastructure is getting there but not quite yet. I love driving mine around town and charging at home but scared to take trips. I've test a few EA stations here and there and half of the time I get charging errors. I would hate to get stranded 90 miles from home.

I will definitely continue on with Ford EV if they continue to improve
Just wanted you to know…

The first week we had our 23 Lariat ER we drove it from SE PA to West Palm Beach , FL.

In December 2023 we drove from SE PA to Detroit to meet with Ford, then in February 2024 we drove from SE PA to Chicago, IL to meet with Ford at the Chicago auto show…all before I had my NACS adapter…

and we just completed a 2,800 mile round trip from SE PA to Oklahoma City, OK and used almost exclusively Tesla Super chargers with NACS Adapter.

Never once was I ever close to being stranded or worried I may not make the next charger.

It is a phenomenal road tripper and you do not need to fear long distance travel with it…just plan ahead a little with A Better Router Planner and PlugShare and you can pretty much go anywhere…

Fear not…. 😀
Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone getting Concerned that Ford is not in on EV for the long haul IMG_3868

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone getting Concerned that Ford is not in on EV for the long haul IMG_0387
Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone getting Concerned that Ford is not in on EV for the long haul IMG_2838
Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone getting Concerned that Ford is not in on EV for the long haul IMG_2302

Last edited:

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Not concerned.

Ford/GM/etc. got a little too excited about the huge prices people were willing to pay for EVs. This led them to overestimating the demand for hyper expensive vehicles.

EVs are the future, with zero doubt. But it will take some more time to get the production efficiencies up so that prices fit their markets. And next-gen batteries + better charging will complete the picture.

It's only a matter of time.

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
Just wanted you to know…

the first week we had our 23 Lariat ER we drive it from SE PA to West Palm Beach , FL.

In December 2023 we drove from SE PA to Detroit to meet with Ford, then in February 2024 we drove from SE PA to Chicago, IL to meet with Ford at the Chicago auto show…all before I had my NACS adapter…

and we just completed a 2,800 mile round trip from SE PA to Oklahoma City, OK and used almost exclusively Tesla Super chargers with NACS Adapter.

Never once was I ever close to being stranded or worried I may not make the next charger.

It is a phenomenal road tripper and you do not need to fear long distance travel with it…just plan ahead a little with A Better Router Planner and PlugShare and you can pretty much go anywhere…

Fear not…. 😀
I have to laugh at people who think the Mustang and the Lightning are no good for road tripping. This map is quite a few months out of date, and we've put another 8,000 miles on the vehicles since I updated it. Still it's illustrative of our road trips. The Mustang has >40,000 miles on it and the Lighting is only a few months old and has >5,500 miles on it. Most of those miles are road trip miles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone getting Concerned that Ford is not in on EV for the long haul Adventures

LightQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Star White Metalic
Hello to everyone in the forum

I am a bit of a junky for EV news, developments and new Tech. It will not come to anyones surprise that there has been a bit of a push back with the transition to EV. Loads of mis-information by people that have no clue about what they are talking about. Most probably either don't own one or bought one with the wrong spec or application. IE they haul heavy and travel long distances the majority of the time.

Any rate I will get to the point now, driving an EV is pretty much driving a computer that gets you from A to B efficiently. The fact it is a computer and by changing software, things can become more efficient and useable. Tesla has demonstrated just how much they can improve on older models efficiency by changing the software that runs the car. They can even add new features with an upload. Long term longevity with Tesla is not in question.

This brings me to FORD, Ford has made some rather large retreats in this segment of the market. They have either dropped future projects or delayed them by years. So looking at FORD now as a future EV company, I am having doubts. I lease 2 vehicles from FORD, MachE and Lightning. The MachE will go back at the end of the lease ( I figure I will be able to buy a new car for the price of the residual). With the Lightning, I was planning to keep it for it utility nature of the car and since it is electric, it will have a long life left in 4 yrs. Here's my challenge, I was going to buy it out after the first month of the lease and save the interest and call it a day.
Now with all the moves Ford is making in a negative way, I am not sure that they will either be around to service the vehicle or keep the software improvements happening. Software with Ford is not their best quality. This is not by any means a FORD bash, heck I leased 2 of them.

Any thoughts or insights??

Did I make the wrong decision and jump onto the wrong horse??

Cheers!
Ford is a for profit corporation. They made a bold EV plan to leap into a future that made better sence. Bless them!
But the winds and conditions have changed quicker and more severe than expected and Ford must now slow down the cash burn AND allow time to heal many of the political, financial and technological road blocks thrown in its path.
This is what a great company should do.
Ford (and others) is now in a new adaptive stage to better align with the need for newer technology to increase performance while also decreasing production costs and PRICE.
I would guess they will now focus on limiting the number of models, focus on commercial and lighter/less expensive vehicles for consumers.
They need to just step back a bit, then be prepared to jump in again when better efficiencies exist and charging network are available.
I see no reason to panic and dump my beautiful truck. It's still, the best vehicle on the market for me.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
We went 100% EV with a Mach-E (in 2021, then swapped for a 2022), and the Lightning in 2023. Yes, I am concerned with Ford's commitment to EVs. A quarter ago they backtracked on plans, now 90 days later they backtrack on the backtrack. That is not confidence inspired.

I also am concerned that some aspects of EVs are beyond their ability to support. For example, the HVBJB on the Mach-E. I am not convinced that the replacements will last. The truck doesn't have these failures, the Mach-E does.

I am also concerned about their ability to implement fixes to software, and rollout improvements. I see no sign in my 3 years of ownership that they've gotten any better at it. BlueCruise 1.3 came to the Mach-E a year after Farley said it would, and the Lightning still doesn't have it.

But, most importantly, it's now clear that Ford likely will lose us as a future customer by not having an EV that meets our needs in 2026 or so. We had planned on moving from the Mach-E to an Explorer EV. Now, they aren't going to produce that. EVER (last quarter it was "end of decade").

So yes, I am concerned.

OP
OP

earlyadopt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance Broker
We went 100% EV with a Mach-E (in 2021, then swapped for a 2022), and the Lightning in 2023. Yes, I am concerned with Ford's commitment to EVs. A quarter ago they backtracked on plans, now 90 days later they backtrack on the backtrack. That is not confidence inspired.

I also am concerned that some aspects of EVs are beyond their ability to support. For example, the HVBJB on the Mach-E. I am not convinced that the replacements will last. The truck doesn't have these failures, the Mach-E does.

I am also concerned about their ability to implement fixes to software, and rollout improvements. I see no sign in my 3 years of ownership that they've gotten any better at it. BlueCruise 1.3 came to the Mach-E a year after Farley said it would, and the Lightning still doesn't have it.

But, most importantly, it's now clear that Ford likely will lose us as a future customer by not having an EV that meets our needs in 2026 or so. We had planned on moving from the Mach-E to an Explorer EV. Now, they aren't going to produce that. EVER (last quarter it was "end of decade").

So yes, I am concerned.
Seems like you and I are on the same page. All too often these car companies rely on the governments to step in and either put up a trade barrier to stop competitive forces from selling better tech to the end user or worse, they look for bale outs from the government to keep them running. Tesla benefited from the carbon credits, the legacy auto makers ignored the opportunity and were lazy. Here in Canada they are seriously talking about doing the same stupid 100% tarriff on Chinese EV's, this would eventually shut Tesla out. So we end up with inferior vehicles and the fat cats at the big three chuckle at the stupidity of the consumer.
I love my Lightning and even the machE but this is now a software game that seems to have a lack of Ford expertise.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat

I am a bit of a junky for EV news, developments and new Tech. It will not come to anyones surprise that there has been a bit of a push back with the transition to EV. Loads of mis-information by people that have no clue about what they are talking about. Most probably either don't own one or bought one with the wrong spec or application. IE they haul heavy and travel long distances the majority of the time.

Any rate I will get to the point now, driving an EV is pretty much driving a computer that gets you from A to B efficiently. The fact it is a computer and by changing software, things can become more efficient and useable. Tesla has demonstrated just how much they can improve on older models efficiency by changing the software that runs the car. They can even add new features with an upload. Long term longevity with Tesla is not in question.

This brings me to FORD, Ford has made some rather large retreats in this segment of the market. They have either dropped future projects or delayed them by years. So looking at FORD now as a future EV company, I am having doubts. I lease 2 vehicles from FORD, MachE and Lightning. The MachE will go back at the end of the lease ( I figure I will be able to buy a new car for the price of the residual). With the Lightning, I was planning to keep it for it utility nature of the car and since it is electric, it will have a long life left in 4 yrs. Here's my challenge, I was going to buy it out after the first month of the lease and save the interest and call it a day.
Now with all the moves Ford is making in a negative way, I am not sure that they will either be around to service the vehicle or keep the software improvements happening. Software with Ford is not their best quality. This is not by any means a FORD bash, heck I leased 2 of them.

Cheers!
I am not worried.

I do believe Tesla's are superior in many ways, including their full commitment to EVs, but Ford's Lightning, MachE and TransitEVans are very good EVs.

It is okay if Ford ramps slowly (between now and 2030). I can't blame them. The EV sales growth curve has really flatten. I do wish the demand was stronger, so Ford could put the pedal to the metal, though.

Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER

Cheers!
Not worried in the slightest. EV is the future. Ford knows that. They just need to wait out the political BS and nurture longing and desire for new and awesome products, which they absolutely are working on. Also waiting on some new battery chemistries.
All is well. I have two EVs and I'll never own ICE again.

Last edited:

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I'm not concerned at all. Ford has simply right-sized for the market. The EV boom wasn't as big or as long as all of us (including Ford) was planning this round. It will take a few more years for this to ramp up and Ford is positioned to do this.

It has been and will continue to be difficult for startups to bridge this gap. Ford will.

In the meantime, I'm driving an awesome truck and saving tons of money.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
No worries at all. The Rubicon has been crossed and maybe the march to Rome will be slower than expected but there's no going back to all ICE vehicles and Ford is "too big to fail" ... hit some potholes maybe.

Rthol21

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Director of Recruitment

Cheers!
search for their press release from yesterday. They are in fact doubling down on EV production. Making a three row SUV, mid size truck, and new ev truck along with commercial van all set to come out in 2027.
Sponsored