• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay Rolling out to F-150 Lightning

Budshark

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
These Ford updates are enough to make your head spin especially coming from Tesla. At least Ford is doing it but it shouldn’t be this hard. After 2 months I finally got 4.2.1.1… patiently waiting for the rest.

As far as Apple Maps routing - I do like that the dashboard Nav updates when Apple Maps is going, but yes lack of preconditioning is hard to take especially once we get reliable 150kw when the Superchargers come online. Hopefully Ford gets the preconditioning trigger set soon.
Sponsored

starrtech2000

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER 511a
Yea I’m quite surprised they didn’t include battery conditioning with the feature. Poor implementation that you then need to switch to the ford nav to enable the preconditioning, all while driving……
Right??
Cool, feature you totally shouldn’t use during the winter…

let’s make the charging experience less seamless for people who aren’t super educated about EVs and make them more likely to experience slow charging speeds because their batteries aren’t preconditioned when they use the navigation software Ford is now saying has this “great new feature”.

Well, at least you can turn on preconditioning manually and see an indication of when it it turned on…. Oh wait, no you can’t.

How does @FordMotorCompany not understand hole incredibly paramount the charging experience is to EV adoption?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Im on 6.3 (from a couple weeks ago) and iOS 17.1.1, I just tested the use of Ford NAV and Apple Maps again using turn by turn at the same time and it is working for me.
I was able to make both of them work on my Thanksgiving travels. However if I start Sync first, then pull up Apple, Sync will actually tell me it is cancelling the route. It may have happened when I had Siri pull up my destination. I was able to cancel more than once, but also was successful more than once. I didn't get the exact order that makes each happen.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Great for apple fans, now get to work on Android Auto / Google Maps, and while you're in there make traction battery preconditioning work for charging destinations.
I'd also like to see manual Preconditioning be added as a feature.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Hi F-150 Lightning Owners! Love using Apple Maps? We are excited to share that you will soon be able to use Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay with your F-150 Lightning.

All F-150 Lightning owners will now have the option to use Apple Maps EV Routing to plan their next trip. In addition to Ford Power My Trip, Apple Maps EV Routing is another great option to input your destination and find charging stations along the way when connected to CarPlay.

It is super simple. Just enter your trip details into CarPlay. Apple Maps will then calculate the estimated state of charge you will have when you get to a destination. Apple Maps will route you to a charging station if it estimates that a charge is required. Here are additional details on how it works.

Friendly reminder to make sure you have Ford Automatic Updates turned ON and set a recurring schedule so that you can receive all of the latest Ford software updates that will enable you to experience features like Apple Maps EV Routing!

Please note, battery preconditioning is not available on Apple Maps EV Routing.

1120231.PNG

1120231.PNG
Thats great but Apple Maps doesn’t work in my Lightning anymore. It used to work but suddenly does not. What’s that about?

Sponsored

cowboys1870

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning SR XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Hi F-150 Lightning Owners! Love using Apple Maps? We are excited to share that you will soon be able to use Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay with your F-150 Lightning.

All F-150 Lightning owners will now have the option to use Apple Maps EV Routing to plan their next trip. In addition to Ford Power My Trip, Apple Maps EV Routing is another great option to input your destination and find charging stations along the way when connected to CarPlay.

It is super simple. Just enter your trip details into CarPlay. Apple Maps will then calculate the estimated state of charge you will have when you get to a destination. Apple Maps will route you to a charging station if it estimates that a charge is required. Here are additional details on how it works.

Friendly reminder to make sure you have Ford Automatic Updates turned ON and set a recurring schedule so that you can receive all of the latest Ford software updates that will enable you to experience features like Apple Maps EV Routing!

Please note, battery preconditioning is not available on Apple Maps EV Routing.

1120231.PNG

1120231.PNG
Any idea when I could expect to get this update for my SR XLT?

I have automatic updates scheduled, on wifi, etc.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The person that can predict that would be the most popular person on this forum.
I'd also say he was just guessing.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
How does @FordMotorCompany not understand hole incredibly paramount the charging experience is to EV adoption?
It seems Ford went all in on EVs when they got envious of Tesla’s profit margins without realizing the massive amount of backend charging network/software/app work that Tesla had to complete in order to be able to collect on the money that comes with a premium user experience - since Tesla’s software is what really sets it apart from the competition.

I tell people that the physical Lightning product is outstanding since it’s a continual refinement of the F-series but the software is downright scary and about 7-8 years behind Tesla. If even a small percentage of the Cybertruck reservations covert and threaten Fords truck market share this’ll be a painful lesson for Ford like we saw with the Mach E but hopefully Ford becomes better for it and finally kicks their software development into high gear.

Reactions: GDN

peoples1234

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Volvo C40, 2023 Lightning ER
If even a small percentage of the Cybertruck reservations covert and threaten Fords truck market share this’ll be a painful lesson for Ford like we saw with the Mach E but hopefully Ford becomes better for it and finally kicks their software development into high gear.
The Cybertruck is a novelty vehicle. Mach-e competes with the Model Y (a very much non-novelty vehicle). The CT is not going to put a dent (figuratively because if you did dent the CT it would be totaled) in Ford truck sales, and very few Lightning drivers (who actually need/want a truck) would consider the CT past the few who have to have whatever is the newest shiny object.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
One thing that had been reported I was excited about was having both Ford Navigation and Apple navigation running at the same time. That is no longer the case if it really worked. I put an address in for Ford, then one in Apple, as soon as I hit Go, the truck cancelled the navigation.
My truck is still on 6.1 and I can run Apple nav at the same time as the Ford navigation....

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
How do you know what version you are on? How do you check?
It's somewhat of a pain. I know just because I follow updates and keep track. Because my truck has an issue with installing updates... You can look in your software update section and it will show details of the last update installed. If it was a SYNC update, it will show the version. You can also go to the General tab of your vehicle settings and then there's an About SYNC tab. That will give you more specific version info, you can cross-reference that to online discussions here and elsewhere to see what primary release your SYNC system is on. It unfortunately doesn't just say v6.x anywhere.

In your FordPass app, you should have notifications for any updates installed.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
In addition to not deleting my Fordpass notifications I immediately take screenshots so they sync to my Photos app for redundancy and reference.

Akemisdad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
It's somewhat of a pain. I know just because I follow updates and keep track. Because my truck has an issue with installing updates... You can look in your software update section and it will show details of the last update installed. If it was a SYNC update, it will show the version. You can also go to the General tab of your vehicle settings and then there's an About SYNC tab. That will give you more specific version info, you can cross-reference that to online discussions here and elsewhere to see what primary release your SYNC system is on. It unfortunately doesn't just say v6.x anywhere.

Thanks fkr the tip. It says I have SYNC version 22326_Product revision 640. Any idea what that is?

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
The Cybertruck is a novelty vehicle. Mach-e competes with the Model Y (a very much non-novelty vehicle). The CT is not going to put a dent (figuratively because if you did dent the CT it would be totaled) in Ford truck sales, and very few Lightning drivers (who actually need/want a truck) would consider the CT past the few who have to have whatever is the newest shiny object.
Thanks fkr the tip. It says I have SYNC version 22326_Product revision 640. Any idea what that is?
This is the version that many Lightnings are stuck on. I think if your blend date is around May ‘23 or after.
Sponsored