First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Cannabis Facility Design - 4trees Cannabis Building Ltd
Yes, it works with IPhones, that is what I use. It actually has a switch to work with iPhones or android. Very easy plug and play, or difficult at all and very responsive. Turned the trucks info screen into a laptop.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
So I purchased a Carlink 3 And have a possible ( ok , more than likely ) dumb question. I also recently subscribed to Ford's wifi , but also noticed that the Carlink has a sim card slot. as of now I have an active sim card in the carlink , but my question is , is it needed , or can I just run the carlink off the trucks wifi ? the instructions made it appear you need an active sim card , so if that's the case , i'll cancel the Ford wifi subscription & just use the sim card .
Or , if I can just use the truck's wifi , I'll let the sim card lapse . ( subscribe in 6 month pre-pay blocks & it's about do to expire )
Thanks in advance.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
So I purchased a Carlink 3 And have a possible ( ok , more than likely ) dumb question. I also recently subscribed to Ford's wifi , but also noticed that the Carlink has a sim card slot. as of now I have an active sim card in the carlink , but my question is , is it needed , or can I just run the carlink off the trucks wifi ? the instructions made it appear you need an active sim card , so if that's the case , i'll cancel the Ford wifi subscription & just use the sim card .
Or , if I can just use the truck's wifi , I'll let the sim card lapse . ( subscribe in 6 month pre-pay blocks & it's about do to expire )
Thanks in advance.
Truck Wi-Fi works perfectly. Turns on at the same time as the truck.

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I took a chance on a unbranded Android Box from Aliexpress. It has all the same specs and OS as Carlinkit (QC6225 chip, 8gb ram, 128gb, Android 13). Is it the best? I don't have much else to compare, but it's snappy and I have had no issues with it. It's also 1/3 the price. You just need to select the NA one (North America). I have, of course, no affiliation with this company.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807298551970.html

If you search at AliExpress (which I hate using in general), you can find a bunch of these units.

Is this unit copying someone elses work? Probably, I do feel guilty about that.
Thanks for the link, I bought one, hopefully it arrives before my road trip in 2 weeks.

I love AliExpress, no guilt here. Most of the stuff you buy from Amazon is just crap from AliExpress that arrives quicker for twice the price.

Sponsored

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On Order: 2022 F150 Raptor, Atlas Blue, 801a, PP
Thanks, I just ordered the carlinkit Plus (a little less than max but with same specs) for $132 from manufacturer and with coupon code

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
My CarLinkit will not zoom in and out in google maps. Does anyone with Carlinkit have this problem?

bub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Plat
My CarLinkit will not zoom in and out in google maps. Does anyone with Carlinkit have this problem?
The Carlinkit (and most of these boxes, maybe all of them) use the Apple Carplay protocol for talking to the vehicle display. Apple Carplay does not support multitouch input. You can double tap to zoom in maps with one finger input like this.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
The Carlinkit (and most of these boxes, maybe all of them) use the Apple Carplay protocol for talking to the vehicle display. Apple Carplay does not support multitouch input. You can double tap to zoom in maps with one finger input like this.
Interesting. Doesn't the Carlinkit let you connect via Android Auto as well? I recall some of them gave an option.

I definitely hate that I can't pinch to zoom.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Thanks I will try it out. I have been using my phone to navigate because I'm always zooming in and out looking for stuff.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Interesting. Doesn't the Carlinkit let you connect via Android Auto as well? I recall some of them gave an option.

I definitely hate that I can't pinch to zoom.
The Carlinkit (and most of these boxes, maybe all of them) use the Apple Carplay protocol for talking to the vehicle display even when connected to android auto.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
The Carlinkit (and most of these boxes, maybe all of them) use the Apple Carplay protocol for talking to the vehicle display even when connected to android auto.
Yeah, I double checked, and you're right. I remember one had a switch on the case for either Android Auto or Carplay, but that could be an older model.
Sponsored