• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can't get ford adaptor to work at tesla stations.

moder8tor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lariat Lightning, 18 F250 Lariat Diesel
Occupation
hard worker
I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have tried 4 or 5 pedestals at a Tesla station on mayo blvd in Scottsdale AZ. I am using the ford adapter. I set up the app. pick the pedestal and start the charge. It instantly faults. I repeat the process over and over on each pedestal and the results are the same. I drive 40 miles away to an electrify America station and all is fine. what am I possibly missing. Thanks
Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Might be a stupid question but Dow that tesla site show up as a “open to non teslas” some superchargers are only open to Tesla cars.

Church

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat Ext. range
Occupation
County Health Director
I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have tried 4 or 5 pedestals at a Tesla station on mayo blvd in Scottsdale AZ. I am using the ford adapter. I set up the app. pick the pedestal and start the charge. It instantly faults. I repeat the process over and over on each pedestal and the results are the same. I drive 40 miles away to an electrify America station and all is fine. what am I possibly missing. Thanks
The ABRP and PlugShare app allow you to filter the “open to non- Tesla” stations. Rule of thumb I’ve noticed. Most 250kW stations are open. Non of the 150kW’s are open to non-Teslas

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Might be a stupid question but Dow that tesla site show up as a “open to non teslas” some superchargers are only open to Tesla cars.
If it is the "East Mayo" one then yes it is listed on their website as open to non Teslas.

I would take a wild guess that there's some issue with the latch mechanism on the NACS side of the adapter, but that's not based on any real life knowledge or experience 😅

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Assuming you are using the Tesla app, make sure you put in your vehicle and indicated you have an adapter. Put adapter securely on nozzle, then plug in.

If you aren't paying for the Tesla membership discount, just use Plug and Charge.

Sponsored

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
There was a software update for the ability to use Tesla superchargers, have you gotten that one?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
There was a software update for the ability to use Tesla superchargers, have you gotten that one?
That was only to enable P&C at Tesla. Even without it, he should be able to activate the charger in the Tesla app.

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
I was able to charge at Tesla Superchargers before I got the update. The update just made it so that I could 'plug and charge' (plug in and charge without having to activate things in the Tesla app).

I had similar problems to OP when I first tried charging - I didn't have the adapter sufficiently locked in place.

Reactions: MBM

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Phoenix, AZ - East Mayo Boulevard
7000 E Mayo Blvd Phoenix, AZ 85054

20 Superchargers
NACS Adapter Required to Charge at this Supercharger.

This IS open to Ford vehicles, with the correct NACS to CCS adapter.

I would drive down to one of the two on E SHEA Blvd and see if the same problems occur...

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Fault when starting charging suggests to me the adapter is not fully locked onto the charge handle.

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I had a similar issue with trying to use a Tesla station that showed as working with the adapter then doing the same thing at another Tesla station an it worked without issue.

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
Make sure you remember to slide that little locking slider on the bottom. I couldn't figure out why wouldn't work for me until my wife pointed that out from the instructions! Lol, forgetting to slide that little lock gave me trouble the next time, too, when I forgot about it also!

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Locking the adapter is the most common problem, but be sure you have a valid verified form of payment configured in the Tesla app.. Same thing for Plug n Charge otherwise you can also see a fault...

B. Lane

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retire
I was able to charge at Tesla Superchargers before I got the update. The update just made it so that I could 'plug and charge' (plug in and charge without having to activate things in the Tesla app).

I had similar problems to OP when I first tried charging - I didn't have the adapter sufficiently locked in place.
I did the same thing. On my third try I finally noticed the lock button on the bottom of adapter. Made me feel really dumb.

OP
OP

moder8tor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lariat Lightning, 18 F250 Lariat Diesel
Occupation
hard worker
I did the same thing. On my third try I finally noticed the lock button on the bottom of adapter. Made me feel really dumb.
Ok I will try again. i.e. mess with the lock button. interesting and frustrating. It will be a while till I get back to a tesla station. Thanks.
Sponsored