Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!]

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
So I just wanna preface this by saying this simple yet genius solution was not my idea but rather sourced directly from the F150 14th Gen forum. Now that being said let's get into.

The Problem
The center console compartment door will barely stay up, if at all. If you're on anything but even, level ground, just forget it. That bad boy is slamming closed on your hand if you're not doing the elbow center console equivalent of the M1 Garand palm heel reload. The problem seems to be a lack of suffcient spring tension. For whatever reason whether it was poor design, bad supplier inventory or poor manufacturing tolerances and quality control, there isn't enough spring force to keep the door of the center console open.

The Solution
This solution is both remarkably simple and remarkably genius. Now although removal of the internal trim panel isnt required, it does greatly aid in the process as it increases the amount of access you have to the ends of the springs. But let's get into it:
Tools/Materials needed:
- Plastic trim removal tool
- Metal plastic retention retainer removal tool
- Four nickels

1. Open the center console.
2. Working carefully using a trim removal tool, remove the trim panel located right below the hinge on the inside of the compartment. (Optional, but I recommend it for better access)
3. Now with better direct access to the hinge, locate the exposed ends of the springs.
4. Using your hooked metal plastic retainer removal too, gently lift up one of the spring ends and slip two nickels under it. Hold the nickels in place while slowly releasing the spring until the spring pressure is firmly holding them in place. Repeat for the other spring.
5. Replace the plastic trim you removed previously (if you did)
6. Enjoy a center console that finally isn't plagued with impotent spring tension ;)

Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] 20230207_183523

Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] 20230207_183533

Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] 20230207_184447
Sponsored

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru wrx sti, Subaru wrx, Daihatsu Miro, Ranger
This has been an annoyance for me too! It barely stays up and keeps closing shut on me when I’m trying to access items inside. I can’t wait to try this, Thanks!

Florian Haas

First Name
Florian Haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiat
Occupation
Locksmith
Thank you for sharing this solution! It's always great to see simple yet effective DIY fixes for common problems. I hope this helps others who may be experiencing the same issue with their center console door. Locksmith Highbury also suggest to remove the trim panel for better access.

Last edited:

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Best 20 cents I’ve ever spent!🤙🏼

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
6. Enjoy a center console that finally isn't plagued with impotent spring tension ;)
Left out a critical “r” there ;). Wasn’t expecting them to breed anyway.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably could have gotten away with 4 or 6 cents
Probably could have but I didn't have that many pennies and I figured the fewer coins stacked up the better, otherwise the coins in the center of the stack would have the least friction holding them in place and they could pop out if jarred enough.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had better luck with vice grips compared to a hook. Your mileage may very.
Oh yeah, that definitely could work as well! I used a flat pronged tool designed to remove plastic retention pins to get behind it and it seemed to work quite well.

Sponsored

kvasiir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
I gave this a try today; my springs might have been even looser than yours, but a double stack of nickels doesn’t seem to have done much for me. I’ll need to give it some more use before being sure, though.

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Yeah, I put in a nickel on each spring four months ago, and it is still limp. I need to add a nickel to each side.

Last edited:

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
So glad I discovered this post! This absolutely solved one of the top 3 issues that we have with our truck!