Changing a flat tire, could not use the included jack

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
I ended up with a flat on my way home from work last week. I first attempted to use the included emergency jack, but I could not get it to lift the truck. It just kept moving on the ground rather than lifting.

Two different roadside assistance drivers only had floor jacks that could lift up to about 18" (which is standard), and they wanted to jack the control arms on the inside of the rear wheels. I refused and was adamant that they use the prescribed jack points on the side of the vehicle (the frame). The standard 18" lift height jack probably could have lifted it enough to get the flat tire off, but it would not have lifted it high enough to get the spare on.

I ended up having it towed home on a flatbed, and the next morning I bought a 3.5 ton jack that can lift up to 23" (~$300 at AutoZone). That was sufficient to get the spare on, and I'm getting a new set of tires today.

Due to this, for future road trips I am going to bring the 23" jack, tire inflator, and impact driver.

Just an FYI for anyone in a similar position. I may have missed it, but I didn't find anything in the manual about how much lift height is required, and most roadside assistance drivers will not have a jack that can lift that high.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It just kept moving on the ground rather than lifting.
Did you set the parking brake? That might have helped with the rolling about and instability.

I think I'm going to pack a couple of wheel chocks to assist with this problem.

Points taken from you real life experience with this inadequate jack.

OP
OP
Warp Asylum

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Did you set the parking brake? That might have helped with the rolling about and instability.

I think I'm going to pack a couple of wheel chocks to assist with this problem.

Points taken from you real life experience with this inadequate jack.
Yep, parking brake was set and the included (also inadequate) tire chock was on the front left tire (right rear was flat). The truck wasn't moving that I could see. I think that the jack just doesn't have a stable enough base to lift the vehicle in roadside conditions.

Now that you mention it, I did also purchase higher quality tire chocks and will bring those on road trips as well.

Maybe it works in ideal conditions such as a perfectly flat concrete driveway, but that will never be the case when you actually need to use it.

Last edited:

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
maybe a couplet of these will help support the jock on dirt. There are other metal plates that look like they will support butter, but cost a lot more.

https://a.co/d/esORuRF

OP
OP
Warp Asylum

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
maybe a couplet of these will help support the jock on dirt. There are other metal plates that look like they will support butter, but cost a lot more.

https://a.co/d/esORuRF
That might work. If you or anyone decides to go that route, I would practice using it with the included jack.

I know a real high lift floor jack is pricey and heavy to cart around, but it is a million times easier than using the included jack.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I ended up with a flat on my way home from work last week. I first attempted to use the included emergency jack, but I could not get it to lift the truck. It just kept moving on the ground rather than lifting.

Two different roadside assistance drivers only had floor jacks that could lift up to about 18" (which is standard), and they wanted to jack the control arms on the inside of the rear wheels. I refused and was adamant that they use the prescribed jack points on the side of the vehicle (the frame). The standard 18" lift height jack probably could have lifted it enough to get the flat tire off, but it would not have lifted it high enough to get the spare on.

I ended up having it towed home on a flatbed, and the next morning I bought a 3.5 ton jack that can lift up to 23" (~$300 at AutoZone). That was sufficient to get the spare on, and I'm getting a new set of tires today.

Due to this, for future road trips I am going to bring the 23" jack, tire inflator, and impact driver.

Just an FYI for anyone in a similar position. I may have missed it, but I didn't find anything in the manual about how much lift height is required, and most roadside assistance drivers will not have a jack that can lift that high.
I feel your pain. I didn't trust the jack. Roadside assistance had the correct jack for me this morning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Changing a flat tire, could not use the included jack 1000031196

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
On a truck, when just changing a tire, its often going to be easier to jack up the axle/suspension. You only have to lift it an inch or two and its easy enough to get under there. But the included emergency jack is not suitable for this usage - it doesn't have a cup on the top that can cradle the shock knuckle for example. Accordingly, the manual guides you to lift the truck only from the frame.

Jacking it up by the frame is going to require lifting the half the truck half the suspension travel distance to get the tire off the ground.

If you have over-sized wheels and tires or a lift kit on the truck, or are parked on uneven ground, the included jack may fall short.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just to point out, we get free Roadside Assistance for 5 years / 60,000 miles.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Warp Asylum

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I feel your pain. I didn't trust the jack. Roadside assistance had the correct jack for me this morning.

1000031196.jpg
Glad that worked out for you.

I tried to request a roadside assistance driver with a higher lift jack, but after two of them had only a standard jack, I gave up and had it towed.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I was able to use the jack to put the spare on, on the side of I10, about 10-15 miles west of Benson, AZ. I was partially off the shoulder with the flat wheel on the dirt (wanted to give myself extra space from the traffic). Wife was also concerned about the jack so she called AAA. I took what felt like a million rotations but it did manage to life the truck with the jack on the dirt next to the paved shoulder. Truck felt stable while I pulled off the flat and put on the spare. Got it all done before AAA could even locate us. Dunno why it doesn't work for other people.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I was able to use the jack to put the spare on, on the side of I10, about 10-15 miles west of Benson, AZ. I was partially off the shoulder with the flat wheel on the dirt (wanted to give myself extra space from the traffic). Wife was also concerned about the jack so she called AAA. I took what felt like a million rotations but it did manage to life the truck with the jack on the dirt next to the paved shoulder. Truck felt stable while I pulled off the flat and put on the spare. Got it all done before AAA could even locate us. Dunno why it doesn't work for other people.
It probably would have worked for me. I was on stable ground and in a parking lot. I just didn't want to do it. I had the spare down and the lugs loose when the driver showed up. Took 5 minutes.

It also helps I was on the clock the whole time. No rush in my case.
Sponsored