• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
While getting the Lightning washed recently at a carwash I frequent (monthly subscription), the first set of brushes came into contact with my left fender hard enough to pop open the charge port door...and since the second set of brushes it encountered turn in the opposite direction they ended up removing my outer charge port painted cover panel and snapping off the lockpin.

The outer door painted panel was removed cleanly and was laying to the left of the track in the employee walkway, the pin was snapped off at the base (locking ears on the pin snapped off).

Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement Chargeport_Lockpin_Broke

So I was lucky that there wasn't any actual damage to the outer painted door panel (not even a scratch), and I lined it back up with the inner door panel tabs and slid it back in place, and then headed to my Ford dealer's parts counter to get another lockpin. After a few minutes of searching we found that the chargeport lockpin is not broken out as an item separate from the door assembly...you are expected to buy the whole thing.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement Lightning_Charge_Port_Lockpi

Turns out it is listed as a separate item on the Mach-E, and it also turns out it's the same pin (I checked the one on my car to make sure).
Here's the pin you're looking for if yours breaks, FP5Z-5428610-B:
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement FP5Z-5428610-B

My dealer has them listed for $10.63.

I checked the workshop manual to find out if there was anything specific on how to replace it or to get the outer door panel back off (the correct way, not the carwash way), and found nothing at all concerning that lockpin or the outer painted door panel, absolutely nothing.

So to get the outer painted door panel off to secure the new lockpin you insert a small flat tip screwdriver into the edge of the locktab and gently pry outwards while sliding the outer painted cover away from the side of the truck.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement Chargeport_Door_Outer_Cover

Here's the detail on the replacement pin showing the different sizes of the ears:
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement Chargeport_Lockpin_New

From the chargeport side of the door enclosure, insert the base of the pin with the ears lined up to match the opening in the panel, and then from the outer side, gently turn clockwise with a Torx 50 bit to lock the pin into place (about a quarter turn does it).
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement Chargeport_Lockpin_Inserted

All that remains is to line up the outer painted cover and slide it back onto the inner chargeport door. All done.

I did have a few words with the carwash manager, and they did say they would make some adjustments to the system so that the brush rollers didn't swing back in to the sides of the vehicle as aggressively. The other carwash at the opposite end of town under the same owners and brand, does not have this issue. So it was clearly a matter of adjustment of their system.

A small update: As an additional resource should you need it...the same pin is available as a BMW/Mini part as well. I ordered one of these from ECS just to confirm that it was the same. It is.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Port Door Lockpin Replacement BMW-Mini_Lockpi
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
My local car wash uses masking tape on the rear window wiper of SUV's to tape it to the glass. I guess they learned real quickly that the rear wiper was torn off by the brushes.

They also have warning about shark fin antennas being torn off.

I've taken my Lightning into the automated wash probably 10 times..so far so good, but I always find small remenets of red lambswool stuck in the side Lightning letters. Fortunately the letters are still intact..

My Antenna also takes alot of abuse in the wash and still is attached.

Rick

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My local car wash uses masking tape on the rear window wiper of SUV's to tape it to the glass. I guess they learned real quickly that the rear wiper was torn off by the brushes.

They also have warning about shark fin antennas being torn off.

I've taken my Lightning into the automated wash probably 10 times..so far so good, but I always find small remenets of red lambswool stuck in the side Lightning letters. Fortunately the letters are still intact..

My Antenna also takes alot of abuse in the wash and still is attached.

Rick
I’ve changed the antenna to a stubby. I got tired of unscrewing it before each wash and then reinstalling in the detail area. I’m considering one of the hidden antennas and would run it under the right side plastic cowl cover.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I’m considering one of the hidden antennas and would run it under the right side plastic cowl cover.
Could you post a link? Does it also have a nice delete solution for the exterior?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could you post a link? Does it also have a nice delete solution for the exterior?
I'm looking at some of the ones on Amazon now. I'll let you know if what I've ordered actually works out.

Weapon X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E
A couple years ago, my dumb ass backed out of the garage after forgetting to close the cover and knocked that part off. Ordered it for $12 from a BMW supplier and keep a couple on hand because, once again. I'm a dumb ass.
Sponsored