Sponsored

CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Man, I’m stocking up on the popcorn for this movie.

I am starting to think that these trucks are in fact doing the “ET call home” thing, reaching out to mother Ford with diagnostics information. How else would they know that batteries, or a set percentage of batteries, require replacement before they've been physically inspected? What does “identified via connected vehicle data” in the CSP Bulletin mean exactly? I’ve been scratching my head since day one after reading “…CRC will be proactively reaching out to owners of vehicles identified via connected vehicle data that have one or more high voltage battery modules that are experiencing a voltage deviation”. Does this statement imply Ford knows something about specific vehicles before someone even does “hands-on” testing.

If this is the case, it might explain how/why a non-EV qualified dealership mechanic who hasn’t done any testing on a vehicle can make the statement “your truck requires a HVB module replacement”.

Popcorn anyone?
They can see a variety of data related to the battery, charging, FCSP data, all sorts of things.

Big brother is most certainly watching....
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice thumbs-up-conspiracy

And in this case it seems to be a good thing.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Took mine in today for the update and was only there about an hour and half. Seems all is good for now 🤞.

And on another note: they finally agreed to order the taillight and dash mat to clear my open recall/CSP. 🥳🎉

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Took a little phone tag but the last update I got is that the tech re-read the CSP and they agreed that there is no need to drop the battery. Seems like I'm all good and they are applying the update. I'll be able to pick up later today. So glad to have this forum as a resource.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
I think I'm one of those that will need a battery module replaced. I used FDRS to update all my software last night and today I am seeing an error P0B24 "Hybrid/EV Battery 'A' Voltage Unstable". I can clear it out, but it comes back. It won't even charge when that error is present. Clearing the error allows it to charge, but the error returns.

I ran a battery health check in FDRS and cell 49 in module 5 is running below the median deviation as shown in the screenshot. It is running in reduced performance mode now. Just got this truck last week, so this sucks.

EDIT: Just spoke to a local dealer and I'm dropping the truck off Monday and he getting me a Mach E loaner.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice batterytest_2023-09-22

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I think I'm one of those that will need a battery module replaced. I used FDRS to update all my software last night and today I am seeing an error P0B24 "Hybrid/EV Battery 'A' Voltage Unstable". I can clear it out, but it comes back. It won't even charge when that error is present. Clearing the error allows it to charge, but the error returns.

I ran a battery health check in FDRS and cell 49 in module 5 is running below the median deviation as shown in the screenshot. It is running in reduced performance mode now. Just got this truck last week, so this sucks.

EDIT: Just spoke to a local dealer and I'm dropping the truck off Monday and he getting me a Mach E loaner.

batterytest_2023-09-22.png
Sorry to see you’re having the problem, but it sounds like you have a quality dealer. I’ve seen a lot crappy customer service discussed out here.

Good Luck and enjoy the Mach-e.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Have my truck back, update applied. I think next time I take it in (likely for the tailgate lightbar when they get one in) I'm going to ask for a mach-E or at least something more fuel efficient. The base model F150 I've been using for the past 3.5 days cost me $40 to fuel back up. I've only been spending $65 to charge the Lightning for an entire month.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

Quite the deviation! Make sure you don't take it down into the lower SOCs before you drop it off.
BTW, are you charging above 90% SOC displayed?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Dang - sorry to see that, but at least this identified the issue as it seems is designed to do.

Mind sharing what part of DFW or which dealer you are working with? I bought at Bob Tomes in McKinney, but live much closer to 5 Star on 190. @LUXMAN has had really good support from Utter in Denton.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I don't have FDRS but us cheapos can use the Car Scanner app. It doesn't report each module but does report Minimum, Median and Deviation (but only to 2 decimal places :( ). Mine reports .01 Volt deviation for instance. However if you rounded all your modules to 2 decimal places they would be either 4.06 or 4.07 (except #38). Would be curious what Car Scanner shows for you - if it matches FDRS.
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1695432877260

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quite the deviation! Make sure you don't take it down into the lower SOCs before you drop it off.
BTW, are you charging above 90% SOC displayed?
I have charged above 90% a few times, but I have my home set to 90%

Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dang - sorry to see that, but at least this identified the issue as it seems is designed to do.

Mind sharing what part of DFW or which dealer you are working with? I bought at Bob Tomes in McKinney, but live much closer to 5 Star on 190. @LUXMAN has had really good support from Utter in Denton.
I am working with Utter in Denton. Apparently, half of their techs are EV certified. The Prosper dealer is closer, but they aren't EV certified and have 1 tech trained on EVs.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't have FDRS but us cheapos can use the Car Scanner app. It doesn't report each module but does report Minimum, Median and Deviation (but only to 2 decimal places :( ). Mine reports .01 Volt deviation for instance. However if you rounded all your modules to 2 decimal places they would be either 4.06 or 4.07 (except #38). Would be curious what Car Scanner shows for you - if it matches FDRS.
1695432877260.png
Here are the same 4 tiles on mine
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1695432877260
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice Screenshot_20230922_211711
Here are those same tiles for mine on Car Scanner

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot

That's disappointing for sure. Hopefully they get the module quickly and make the experience less of a PITA.

I was wondering what was the deviation limit, so thanks for posting that chart. Looks about .046 volts and car scanner showing 0.04 for you at least gives us an idea of what to look for.

I used FDRS to update all my software last night and today I am seeing an error P0B24
With this statement, do you think they are connected?

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's disappointing for sure. Hopefully they get the module quickly and make the experience less of a PITA.

I was wondering what was the deviation limit, so thanks for posting that chart. Looks about .046 volts and car scanner showing 0.04 for you at least gives us an idea of what to look for.

With this statement, do you think they are connected?
I do think they are connected. I've only had the truck for a little over a week and I've had no errors until I made all the updates including that new BECM one. I cleared all errors after I finished the updates Thursday night and didn't drive until the next morning when I saw the error.

I also ran the test a few times after the updates just playing around with the software before I realized I had an issue. The difference between the median cell voltage and the allowed deviation value was .046 for those as well (below)
  • 9/21 Test 1: 4.072-4.026=.046
  • 9/21 Test 2: 4.071-4.025=.046
  • 9/22 Test 1: 4.059-4.013=.046 (from screenshot earlier)

While I am getting this taken care of at the dealer, does anyone have any suggestions on other things I should have addressed? My rear lightbar was done already before I took delivery. I've seen mentions of a wiper motor issue and a failed master window switch causing the rear passenger window to not roll up.

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I do think they are connected. I've only had the truck for a little over a week and I've had no errors until I made all the updates including that new BECM one. I cleared all errors after I finished the updates Thursday night and didn't drive until the next morning when I saw the error.

I also ran the test a few times after the updates just playing around with the software before I realized I had an issue. The difference between the median cell voltage and the allowed deviation value was .046 for those as well (below)
  • 9/21 Test 1: 4.072-4.026=.046
  • 9/21 Test 2: 4.071-4.025=.046
  • 9/22 Test 1: 4.059-4.013=.046 (from screenshot earlier)

While I am getting this taken care of at the dealer, does anyone have any suggestions on other things I should have addressed? My rear lightbar was done already before I took delivery. I've seen mentions of a wiper motor issue and a failed master window switch causing the rear passenger window to not roll up.
Did you buy used or find a '22 still on a lot (maybe a mannequin)? You likely need the wiper motor replaced and a brand new campaign came out this week to replace the rubber mat on the dash to prevent spills from leaking down into electronics. Check your Ford account online, these should show up for your VIN. Wiper motor is available, the mat may not be yet.

I don't think the window switch has been turned into a recall. Perhaps only fixed if you have the issue.
Sponsored