First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think Ford is capable of making 200K Lightnings in this first year. I thought the incentive went away only after they had reached the 200K production threshold. That's the reason you don't get an incentive if you buy a Tesla today.

Mike
It's total EVs so things like the Mach E also impact their number.
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
The difference is you were prioritized to place a Lightning order in front of everyone else at your dealer. Complaining that your order hasn’t been picked up for build yet really doesn’t fit in this thread.

The OP started this thread wishing good luck to those still waiting in the supposed line to place a Lightning order.

Yes the system is flawed when you allow people to move to the front of the order line.
I believe that the bulk of the orders being processed initially are Lariat ERs, as this was stated earlier in the playbook that it was intended to be the most numerous version produced.

So if you were wave #1 and priority #1 at a given dealership but you decided to order a Pro or something else that wasn't a Lariat ER then maybe that's what's delaying things.

Mike

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Yes, just saw that on the website. Well spotted.

"Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. "

And as with the credit I got for my '21 Mach-E it is designed to offset $7500 in capital gains you made that year. So for some folks it's meaningless unless they had that much in capital gains. I know from talking with some others that many thought you'd just get $7500 off your taxes or some such. But there's always a gotcha....

Mike

Krackla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
I have given up hope. I have not gotten and invite, and I reserved 5/20/2021 11:43 AM. I will just sit tight until I likely cancel my reservation and buy it later.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
All Ford EVs through the years count against the current 200k limit.

Not an accountant so I may have the terms wrong but I don’t think the tax credit is a capital gains offset but a tax liability offset. At least that is not only my understanding but also how it just worked for me. We paid well over $7500 in taxes, was going to get a modest refund, and thanks to the MME we’re getting that modest refund + $7500. Which is why the MME will be for sale as soon as I decide on a replacement for 2022 So I can play the game again.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Switching to MME now.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Not an accountant so I may have the terms wrong but I don’t think the tax credit is a capital gains offset but a tax liability offset. At least that is not only my understanding but also how it just worked for me. We paid well over $7500 in taxes, was going to get a modest refund, and thanks to the MME we’re getting that modest refund + $7500. Which is why the MME will be for sale as soon as I decide on a replacement for 2022 So I can play the game again.
This is correct, not sure why the other user mentioned anything about capital gains.

Wife and I have about $26K in tax liability.

So, I could theatrically get $26K back in EV tax credits if I bought 4 EV cars this year.

I am doing two this year, so I will get $15K back.

Ioniq 5 (already in hand)
and F150L in (hopefully) June.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I assume he offset his tax liability by using credits to mitigate capital gains. However tax burden is really not usually defined by a single source.

Chiefer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford F150, 2017 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Business Operations Support Manager
Canceled my reservation today.

My dealer had a list of 115 reservations holders and I was #3. I figured I probably wouldn't get the first wave but surely the 2nd or 3rd. Now I get notice that ordering is closed for MY22.

It's very disappointing but at the same time I wasn't thrilled with how Ford was allowing us to configure the truck. I would love to order a Lariat but I really, really, REALLY hate that ugly 15 inch tablet in the center console. (Buttons aren't bad people! We have relied on touch as one of our senses throughout evolution.) Then to find out the XLT with the extended battery ($10K) also tacked on another 9K in equipment and still NO moonroof as standard or even optional on the XLT!?!?!

I hope everyone who was able to order is very happy with their purchases and get a great product but I just can't get with what Ford is doing these days. They can't seem to learn from past mistakes and launch a product smoothly.

Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Canceled my reservation today.

My dealer had a list of 115 reservations holders and I was #3. I figured I probably wouldn't get the first wave but surely the 2nd or 3rd. Now I get notice that ordering is closed for MY22.

It's very disappointing but at the same time I wasn't thrilled with how Ford was allowing us to configure the truck. I would love to order a Lariat but I really, really, REALLY hate that ugly 15 inch tablet in the center console. (Buttons aren't bad people! We have relied on touch as one of our senses throughout evolution.) Then to find out the XLT with the extended battery ($10K) also tacked on another 9K in equipment and still NO moonroof as standard or even optional on the XLT!?!?!

I hope everyone who was able to order is very happy with their purchases and get a great product but I just can't get with what Ford is doing these days. They can't seem to learn from past mistakes and launch a product smoothly.
I would like to think things would be smoother without the supply crisis politicians have put us in. New products always have bumpy roads in any event

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
I assume he offset his tax liability by using credits to mitigate capital gains. However tax burden is really not usually defined by a single source.
Partly true, the Self Employment tax can not be reduced with the EV credit, though ordinary income and capital gains taxes can be.

In my career as a tax collector, I have seen returns where a combination of events can result in minor or no income taxes yet still a substantial SE tax.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
And PHEV versions of the Aviator, Corsair and Escape, although they are sold at much lower volume.

fromport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 gmc sierra, 2020 &2023chevy bolt, 2xNEV
Occupation
engineer
After my reservation I got a call from my dealer that I was number 9 who ordered at that dealership. In a later call it was adjusted to #7.
When I hadn't heard anything after the first 2 waves, I went to the dealership and was told by the manager of the EV sales guy (who wasn't there at that moment) that I was #11.
I emailed before the last wave with the question "How many people have been able to order through your dealership already?" and got this reply:

To date we have had only 5 customers receive invitations through the wave assignments, one of which has placed their order.

Missing out on the last wave is really discouraging.
I wonder how many invites were not used by people who were able to order one in general.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
So is scheduling rolling through the day? Or is there a time? Say if you wake up and it’s not scheduled, does that mean I’m looking at the next week already?
Sponsored