MeanGeneO

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Good morning,

3 months into ownership (23 Lariat ER) and loving it. Told myself I wasnt going to baby the truck this winter by going out of my way to garage it. This most recent week has seen nightly lows in the 35 degree range, and I've noticed roughly a 5% range reduction. That actually seemed pretty fair to me in comparison to articles saying it could be substantially more. Would you all tend to agree with that as well?

Thank you for your reading this.
Sponsored

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Range is not reduced much by cool nights and warmish days. It takes a while for the battery pack mass to cool down to ambient temperature.

When it starts to get cold (below 35°F) at night and only warms a few degrees during the daytime is when you start to notice a reduction in range.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
I have not been monitoring mine closely but was surprised the other day when I took a ~90 mile trip and it used 50% of the battery in my ER. Looking at my car scanner logs and it seemed I was getting around 1.5m/khw, which is a fair bit less than my normal 2m/kwh for those speeds. Temps were in the mid to high 40s.

Plotting the route now in abrp it says it would use 55% of the battery, and another longer route at 86% of the battery to do 176 miles round trip. Not sure if ABRP takes into account local temps.

Fwiw car scanner did identify constant use of the heater.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I have not been monitoring mine closely but was surprised the other day when I took a ~90 mile trip and it used 50% of the battery in my ER. Looking at my car scanner logs and it seemed I was getting around 1.5m/khw, which is a fair bit less than my normal 2m/kwh for those speeds. Temps were in the mid to high 40s.

Plotting the route now in abrp it says it would use 55% of the battery, and another longer route at 86% of the battery to do 176 miles round trip. Not sure if ABRP takes into account local temps.

Fwiw car scanner did identify constant use of the heater.
Heater is probably only a couple of kW average, while propulsion takes 30-40 ish kW. I think most people underestimate just how much wind affects efficiency at highway speeds. Even a light head or cross wind makes a big difference.

Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Heater is probably only a couple of kW average, while propulsion takes 30-40 ish kW. I think most people underestimate just how much wind affects efficiency at highway speeds. Even a light head or cross wind makes a big difference.
You are correct, I just pulled the logs and for the short bit I recorded it was pulling about 2kw. I only had about 15 minutes of logs (immediately after 2 hour stop) so hard to say what it looked like for the whole drive.

XENOILPHOBE

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Tesla Model X Plaid, 2024 Model Y AWD
Occupation
Retired Army
My 2024 Platinum is only charging to 205 Miles @ 80% and 256 miles @ 100% is this normal degradation at 2500 miles or is this cold weather GOM crap? Max estimated EPA range is 300 miles with these ridiculous 22 inch wheels, which I am dumping as soon as I smoke the tires.
None of my Teslas had this level of degradation even after 150K miles... do I need to reset something?

I plan to move to 20" lightweight forged wheels, maybe Atomic Wheels, and some better EV rated tires.

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
you, unfortunately, are referring to your 'guess-O-meter'... which has little to do with real range...

also, only your BATTERY cares about it's temperature, the rest of the truck could care less whether it's 90degrees or -20degrees... it's all about the BATTERY temperature... after some miles to 'warm up' the battery, especially at faster speeds, it will come up to temperature and you'll see a difference in the mi/kWh range averages... sure, there are temps where it will take longer, but the battery will warm as it is driven...

XENOILPHOBE

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Tesla Model X Plaid, 2024 Model Y AWD
Occupation
Retired Army
I just reset the EV range history, and my 90% range moved up to 257 miles, set my "one-time target" charge to 100% to see what that is here in an hour or so. Ambient air temps here are mild, its 68 degrees and truck has already been driven today, so it's not cold soaked from sitting overnight in 34 degree temps.

A charging battery, is a warm battery, so the range estimate should be spot on. Tires are inflated to 46 PSI, 4 lbs higher than 42 PSI from the door jam, so that is not degrading range.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
you, unfortunately, are referring to your 'guess-O-meter'... which has little to do with real range...
Maybe….

my GOM is actually being accurate right now. It is my SOC that is off by now 10 kWh.

Seems maybe one of the last updates messed with the SOC calculation and maybe it is struggling to truly “interpret” the pack as well as it did. 🤷‍♂️

Thankfully I have car scanner and monitor what my actual capacity is when on a road trip or I would be 20-30 miles short if I went with the percentage ☹

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
My 2024 Platinum is only charging to 205 Miles @ 80% and 256 miles @ 100% is this normal degradation at 2500 miles or is this cold weather GOM crap? Max estimated EPA range is 300 miles with these ridiculous 22 inch wheels, which I am dumping as soon as I smoke the tires.
None of my Teslas had this level of degradation even after 150K miles... do I need to reset something?

I plan to move to 20" lightweight forged wheels, maybe Atomic Wheels, and some better EV rated tires.
The battery isn't likely to be degraded. More likely is the displayed range reflects the way you drive. Even more likely it's a guess because Ford engineers can't predict how you will use your truck.

The way I drive, in my 2022 Platinum I figure about 250 miles in the summer and 200 in the winter. This is a crude estimation but I don't regularly test the limits of range.

I've been cycling between 22" Platinum wheels and 20" Lariat wheels and haven't noticed a meaningful efficiency difference, though my observation isn't scientific in any way. My gut feeling is you will be disappointed if you change wheels and tires and expect to see a positive result. More likely is less aerodynamic aftermarket wheels will reduce efficiency.

On a completely unrelated topic, have massaging seats returned to 2024 Platinums?
Sponsored