MeanGeneO

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Good morning,

3 months into ownership (23 Lariat ER) and loving it. Told myself I wasnt going to baby the truck this winter by going out of my way to garage it. This most recent week has seen nightly lows in the 35 degree range, and I've noticed roughly a 5% range reduction. That actually seemed pretty fair to me in comparison to articles saying it could be substantially more. Would you all tend to agree with that as well?

Thank you for your reading this.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You can’t judge real range by the GOM. As it gets colder, you’ll lose 1/3 or more. May or may not be reflected by the GOM.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Range is not reduced much by cool nights and warmish days. It takes a while for the battery pack mass to cool down to ambient temperature.

When it starts to get cold (below 35°F) at night and only warms a few degrees during the daytime is when you start to notice a reduction in range.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
I have not been monitoring mine closely but was surprised the other day when I took a ~90 mile trip and it used 50% of the battery in my ER. Looking at my car scanner logs and it seemed I was getting around 1.5m/khw, which is a fair bit less than my normal 2m/kwh for those speeds. Temps were in the mid to high 40s.

Plotting the route now in abrp it says it would use 55% of the battery, and another longer route at 86% of the battery to do 176 miles round trip. Not sure if ABRP takes into account local temps.

Fwiw car scanner did identify constant use of the heater.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I have not been monitoring mine closely but was surprised the other day when I took a ~90 mile trip and it used 50% of the battery in my ER. Looking at my car scanner logs and it seemed I was getting around 1.5m/khw, which is a fair bit less than my normal 2m/kwh for those speeds. Temps were in the mid to high 40s.

Plotting the route now in abrp it says it would use 55% of the battery, and another longer route at 86% of the battery to do 176 miles round trip. Not sure if ABRP takes into account local temps.

Fwiw car scanner did identify constant use of the heater.
Heater is probably only a couple of kW average, while propulsion takes 30-40 ish kW. I think most people underestimate just how much wind affects efficiency at highway speeds. Even a light head or cross wind makes a big difference.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Heater is probably only a couple of kW average, while propulsion takes 30-40 ish kW. I think most people underestimate just how much wind affects efficiency at highway speeds. Even a light head or cross wind makes a big difference.
You are correct, I just pulled the logs and for the short bit I recorded it was pulling about 2kw. I only had about 15 minutes of logs (immediately after 2 hour stop) so hard to say what it looked like for the whole drive.
Sponsored