• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Factory 14-50 30 Amp Mobile Plug works with RV 50 Amp plug (at local RV resort)?

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Does anyone know if the Mobile Plug that came with the Lightning is capapble of using a 50 Amp plug in at the local RV resort that is meant for an RV 50 Amp plug? I ask this because our Mobile Plug has 14-50 30 Amp written on the back side of the male plug making me think it only is capable of charging at a 30 Amp even though it has a 50 Amp (240 volts) male plug.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Does anyone know if the Mobile Plug that came with the Lightning is capapble of using a 50 Amp plug in at the local RV resort that is meant for an RV 50 Amp plug? I ask this because our Mobile Plug has 14-50 30 Amp written on the back side of the male plug making me think it only is capable of charging at a 30 Amp even though it has a 50 Amp (240 volts) male plug.
Yes. They are both the NEMA 14-50 configuration.

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
From the practical side, I can say I've frequently plugged my truck into the 50 amp plug at the RV park while the travel trailer is plugged into the 30 amp plug. It works great!

From a theoretical side, the Mobile Power cord only draws 30 amps, and you can always plug something that draws fewer amps into a circuit that is rated for more amps. You get into trouble if you plug something that draws more amps into a circuit that is rated for fewer amps.

OP
OP
1Jetpilot

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
From the practical side, I can say I've frequently plugged my truck into the 50 amp plug at the RV park while the travel trailer is plugged into the 30 amp plug. It works great!

From a theoretical side, the Mobile Power cord only draws 30 amps, and you can always plug something that draws fewer amps into a circuit that is rated for more amps. You get into trouble if you plug something that draws more amps into a circuit that is rated for fewer amps.
so do you know the time difference charging to 80% on a 30 Amp vs a 50 Amp at the camp site?

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
so do you know the time difference charging to 80% on a 30 Amp vs a 50 Amp at the camp site?
I don't, but I'm sure it's substantial. If you plug into the 50 amp plug, you get 30 amps at 240 V or 7.2 kw. If you plug into the 30 amp plug you are only getting 12 amps at 120 V or 1.44 kw.

Last edited:

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Yes, the plug I installed in my home is on a 50amp circuit. There's no issue because the mobile charger draws less than 50 amps. Some of what you've asked in this thread seems like there is a little confusion. The mobile charger we have only has 2 settings that it will draw power at, using the NEMA 14-50 plug, it will draw 30 amps at 240 volts. Using the NEMA 5-15 (standard household plug) it will draw 12 amps at 120 volts. If it tries to draw 30 amps and the circuit has a 20 amp breaker, the breaker will pop, there's no way to have it draw less than 30 amps when using the 14-50 plug.

You're question about 30 amp vs 50 amp doesn't make sense to me, because it will only draw 30 amps regardless, unless you switch to 120volt plug, then it will only draw 12 amps regardless. If the RV park has NEMA 14-50 hooked up to a 30 amp breaker, or you use an adapter, you're likely to blow the breaker anyway as they tend to blow when you have a constant draw at full amperage, which is why it only charge 12 amps on a 15 amp designed outlet, and 30 amps on an outlet that it typically set up for 40 amp breakers. Note: that should be 32 amps, and is for the MachE charger, but Ford wants us to be able to use our mobile charger via the pro-power plugs, and it's only got 30 amp breakers, but unlike land power, it can handle continuous 30 amp loads.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're question about 30 amp vs 50 amp doesn't make sense to me, because it will only draw 30 amps regardless, unless you switch to 120volt plug, then it will only draw 12 amps regardless. If the RV park has NEMA 14-50 hooked up to a 30 amp breaker, or you use an adapter, you're likely to blow the breaker anyway as they tend to blow when you have a constant draw at full amperage, which is why it only charge 12 amps on a 15 amp designed outlet, and 30 amps on an outlet that it typically set up for 40 amp breakers. Note: that should be 32 amps, and is for the MachE charger, but Ford wants us to be able to use our mobile charger via the pro-power plugs, and it's only got 30 amp breakers, but unlike land power, it can handle continuous 30 amp loads.
I think he was asking about the TT-30 receptacles common at most campsites. To which he was given the correct answer in post 5.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
A 50 amp circuit and plug is only rated for 50 amps PEAK load. Not sustained. For sustained loads, you need to de-rate by 20%. So you can only pull 40 amps from that plug for a sustained load like charging for hours. The adapter limits itself to 30 amps, I think with the idea that it can also be plugged into 40 amp circuits on a sustained basis.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
30 Amp even though it has a 50 Amp (240 volts) male plug.
All I know when I had my Tesla the 220 plug would charge up to 30 miles a hour, and with my Lightning it shows 6 miles max on 220? Unless Tesla was energygating me and lying?!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All I know when I had my Tesla the 220 plug would charge up to 30 miles a hour, and with my Lightning it shows 6 miles max on 220? Unless Tesla was energygating me and lying?!
The proper way to express charge rate is in KW, not MPH.
The miles per kWh of the vehicle will vary enough to make MPH meaningless.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The Ford mobile power cord at 240v with the 14-50 plug will draw @30amps. It won't trip a 30a breaker with a 70ft run of appropriately sized wiring unless you also turn your 8 banks of t8 fluorescent lights. Or some other load. Allegedly 😉.

In any case, the specs of the Ford mobile power cord are clearly listed, it doesn't pull more or less(unless its derating itself due to temps). The plug doesn't matter, you can cut the end off and hardwire it and it would still pull the same.

At 110/120v, it charges about 1% per hour.
At 220/240v it charges much quicker. 5-6% per hour approx.

Numbers will always vary as the % and range numbers are estimates.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
The Ford mobile power cord at 240v with the 14-50 plug will draw @30amps. It won't trip a 30a breaker with a 70ft run of appropriately sized wiring unless you also turn your 8 banks of t8 fluorescent lights. Or some other load. Allegedly 😉.

In any case, the specs of the Ford mobile power cord are clearly listed, it doesn't pull more or less(unless its derating itself due to temps). The plug doesn't matter, you can cut the end off and hardwire it and it would still pull the same.

At 110/120v, it charges about 1% per hour.
At 220/240v it charges much quicker. 5-6% per hour approx.

Numbers will always vary as the % and range numbers are estimates.
General Rule of thumb for a typical Lightning with an efficiency of 2.2 mi/kw

1. The mobile charger when connected to a 14-50 240v outlet will charge the truck at between 30-32 amps. The battery will then be charged at about 7.2 kw/hr. If your truck's efficiency is 2.2 kw/mi then it will charge at 2.2x7.2=15.8 miles each hour on the charger.
  2. A wall charger connected to a 50 amp circuit with a 40 amp output, then 9.6*2.2=21.1 miles each hour on the charger.
  3. With a 60 amp hard wired "charger" with a 48 amp output, then 11.7*2.2=25.7 miles each hour on the charger.
I stated generally because this doesn’t take into consideration the approximate 10% loss when charging and actual efficiency your vehicle gets.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As Maquis said, your unit of measurement is useless. Think for a minute. You own a tiny gas powered car and a big gas powered truck. Would you ever say "a gallon of gas takes me much farther in my little car and I don't know why"?

Then there is the actual charger. 220 is the voltage. Are the two charging situations you are comparing using the same AMPERAGE charger?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
The Ford Mobile EVSE you refer to has a male NEMA 14-50 to insert into any NEMA 14-50 outlet, whether at a campground or at your home. Since the Ford EVSE uses 'less' power, at max, which is only 30amps @ 240v, you are always fine to use any NEMA 14-50 outlet... we camp all the time and use the 50amp outlet for our EVSE to charge our truck, and the 'regular' 30amp outlet to power our Camper, etc.

Yes, the Ford EVSE uses only 30amps, as most any EVSE does - while there are some that use less, and some that use more, the 'standard' tends to be 30amps.

The NEMA 14-50 has become the 'STANDARD' 240v outlet that most EVs and RVs have adapted to. The reason is that the NEMA 14-50 has already been used for RVs at campgrounds for years now, since many larger RVs and Motorhomes can certainly use up to 50amps, easily, with two or more roof air conditioners, microwaves, electric water heaters, and even some with electric DRYERS.
Any other 240v outlet has a different prong configuration, and therefore, would just cause even more confusion, and less opportunities, than the more 'common' NEMA 14-50.

And, just because the NEMA 14-50 outlet is rated at 50amps @ 240v does not mean that ANY need can't be accommodated by it's output - with the correct ADAPTER.
There are ADAPTERS for EVERY conceivable situation for any need when using the NEMA 14-50 outlet, whether only needing 120v power, such as to a 30amp camper, or needing 'less' 240v power, such as a 16amp EVSE, like I use.

The NEMA 14-50 outlet has become the defacto 240v power outlet for many, many uses today. It's likely your electric stove/oven plugs into one. It's likely your electric clothes dryer plugs into one.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
As Maquis said, your unit of measurement is useless. Think for a minute. You own a tiny gas powered car and a big gas powered truck. Would you ever say "a gallon of gas takes me much farther in my little car and I don't know why"?

Then there is the actual charger. 220 is the voltage. Are the two charging situations you are comparing using the same AMPERAGE charger?
Ok don’t over think this! My point was on 220 Tesla would have higher output, unless they lie. And Ford is a third output of what Tesla reports while charging on 220. Don’t know why Ford limits theirs to 7KW max on 220.

And we are 💰 another $250 for a charger that has less output at home!

Ford F-150 Lightning Factory 14-50 30 Amp Mobile Plug works with RV 50 Amp plug (at local RV resort)? IMG_7961
Ford F-150 Lightning Factory 14-50 30 Amp Mobile Plug works with RV 50 Amp plug (at local RV resort)? IMG_7959

Ford F-150 Lightning Factory 14-50 30 Amp Mobile Plug works with RV 50 Amp plug (at local RV resort)? IMG_7960
Sponsored