First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Machinist Technician
I purchased my 2023 ford lightning lariat er on May 9th. I didn't order it or plan for it, just went there, thought, sure I'll test drive it and then ended up buying it. I was told by the sales person that nothing was required by me and that I would be mailed the charger and once it arrived, to call sunrun and they would come out and install at my earliest convenience. Fast forward to today, I just found out that on April 3rd this year, they changed policies and now require the dealers to submit proof of sale and then email the buyer a coupon, for them to go into website and purchase the charger with the coupon. It's been almost a month and I have called more than once, only to be reassured by my dealer all is good and I don't have to do anything.. now, I have it all squared away and sunrun is contacting dealer directly. Well, I asked sunrun can I schedule the install or have someone come out and tell me when it can be done? Turns out, what I thought was a free charger and install, well it's only the charger. So now this really awesome (expensive truck), has another expense I was unaware about until I reached out a few times and told otherwise. It's very frustrating because I only have the level 1 charger and the fast charger adapter they told me was ordered but estimated for October and sounds like is getting pushed back for everyone 🙃 So yeah, went through with quite estimate on qmerit (because sunrun employee told me they don't do the installs anymore lol) and they gave me a generic estimate based on my situation of 1600 without any taxes or permits included. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed and frustrated. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or if you're looking to purchase, keep this on your radar and be aware.
Sponsored

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
How many miles are you planning on driving the truck a day?

I purchased the truck last March and have been using the mobile charger at home since. Granted, only put 15-20 miles M-F (although more now that I am off work for the summer). Put 40-60 miles on the weekends. The mobile charger isn't enough to "refill" after weekend use but then slowly gets it built up during the week.

I am having a level 2 Tesla charger installed, but that's because I am expanding our solar system and the company said they would have electrician install EV charger when doing solar work. Sold the Ford charger on Ebay for about the cost of Tesla charger. Now I'm covered currently and in the future should I choose to add a second vehicle that uses NACS.

But the whole "free" charger has been a source of frustration for several purchasers on here (in my short time on the forum).

OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
How many miles are you planning on driving the truck a day?

I purchased the truck last March and have been using the mobile charger at home since. Granted, only put 15-20 miles M-F (although more now that I am off work for the summer). Put 40-60 miles on the weekends. The mobile charger isn't enough to "refill" after weekend use but then slowly gets it built up during the week.

I am having a level 2 Tesla charger installed, but that's because I am expanding our solar system and the company said they would have electrician install EV charger when doing solar work. Sold the Ford charger on Ebay for about the cost of Tesla charger. Now I'm covered currently and in the future should I choose to add a second vehicle that uses NACS.

But the whole "free" charger has been a source of frustration for several purchasers on here (in my short time on the forum).
So, I really don't need to install the level 2 charger, (def not spending for the home integrated system) my work commute is less than 5 miles round trip. I'm really in perfect situation for electric vehicle for my day to day life unless I wanna run down and hunt in WV or something then I have to figure something out. I guess my thing is how I was thrown for a loop by the dealer, when they boast the charger being free, the capabilites of the integrated system, how easy it is to call and have installed, etc etc. Then I find out all the stuff was wrong, costs money, etc etc. Just a big let down and frustrating. I have no idea about any of the tesla stuff products or solar panels. My house faces east and west (I think that is less desirable when it comes to power generated in solar)

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
If your commute is less than 5 miles round trip you'll be golden with the mobile charger. Set your charge level to 80% and every night you'll be more than covered.

Solar conversation is a long one with a lot of different pieces. We had solar pre EV and are expanding our array to off set EV use.

OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
If your commute is less than 5 miles round trip you'll be golden with the mobile charger. Set your charge level to 80% and every night you'll be more than covered.

Solar conversation is a long one with a lot of different pieces. We had solar pre EV and are expanding our array to off set EV use.
Yeah, seems like that 20-80 range is where everyone seems to keep it running at! I guess at the end of the day, my only hiccup is if I burn a huge % of battery on the way home from a trip and need to go somewhere the next day, I just won't be able to charge a large % over night for 8-10 hours.

The other thought I had is do I just plug in every couple days and keep it up near the 70-80 range? Or, do I run it down to the 20s and then charge daily to build it back up? Like, does the amount of plug ins effect the battery? Or, it only matters for my use with the vehicle and staying at higher % is better for when needed, I'm ready instead of yup, I'll be there in in 5 business days when I'm done charging lol

I'm not against solar, just seems like it's a very small amount of return for huge initial cost and unless there's a ton of incentives, I probably wouldn't do it. I have a 3 story home built up, not out, so much less roof space.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So yeah, I'm pretty bummed and frustrated. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or if you're looking to purchase, keep this on your radar and be aware.
I'm certain there will be more incompetent dealer horror stories, these people DO NOT read memo's!

/RANT Come on Farley & Palmer!!!

OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
I'm certain there will be more incompetent dealer horror stories, these people DO NOT read memo's!

/RANT Come on Farley & Palmer!!!

I just hope if any issues do happen with the truck that the warranties will allow repairs to go smoothly 😅

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Yeah, seems like that 20-80 range is where everyone seems to keep it running at! I guess at the end of the day, my only hiccup is if I burn a huge % of battery on the way home from a trip and need to go somewhere the next day, I just won't be able to charge a large % over night for 8-10 hours.

The other thought I had is do I just plug in every couple days and keep it up near the 70-80 range? Or, do I run it down to the 20s and then charge daily to build it back up? Like, does the amount of plug ins effect the battery? Or, it only matters for my use with the vehicle and staying at higher % is better for when needed, I'm ready instead of yup, I'll be there in in 5 business days when I'm done charging lol

I'm not against solar, just seems like it's a very small amount of return for huge initial cost and unless there's a ton of incentives, I probably wouldn't do it. I have a 3 story home built up, not out, so much less roof space.
Search forum member name MickeyAO. He researches this stuff and posts his recommendations. There was another recent thread with research and youtube video discussing battery health and different uses (% charge, % change in charge, etc).

You'll be fine charging every night. You'll be fine skipping a night. Big take aways...rarely go to 100% unless you have to. Never go to 0%. Keeping it at 80% charge is "best" for typical use (although 50% is the best...best). If your truck is going to be sitting unused for a long period of time (days) try to have it around 50% state of charge (SOC). Also, you need to really abuse a battery to get a drop in state of health (SOH).

Welcome to the forum. I've been on here about 3 months and it's a great community that you can always learn something from.

OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
Search forum member name MickeyAO. He researches this stuff and posts his recommendations. There was another recent thread with research and youtube video discussing battery health and different uses (% charge, % change in charge, etc).

You'll be fine charging every night. You'll be fine skipping a night. Big take aways...rarely go to 100% unless you have to. Never go to 0%. Keeping it at 80% charge is "best" for typical use (although 50% is the best...best). If your truck is going to be sitting unused for a long period of time (days) try to have it around 50% state of charge (SOC). Also, you need to really abuse a battery to get a drop in state of health (SOH).

Welcome to the forum. I've been on here about 3 months and it's a great community that you can always learn something from.
Thanks for the warm welcome! This does seem like a nice place with good positive vibes and good information! Glad to be a part of it :)

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I purchased my 2023 ford lightning lariat er on May 9th. I didn't order it or plan for it, just went there, thought, sure I'll test drive it and then ended up buying it. I was told by the sales person that nothing was required by me and that I would be mailed the charger and once it arrived, to call sunrun and they would come out and install at my earliest convenience. Fast forward to today, I just found out that on April 3rd this year, they changed policies and now require the dealers to submit proof of sale and then email the buyer a coupon, for them to go into website and purchase the charger with the coupon. It's been almost a month and I have called more than once, only to be reassured by my dealer all is good and I don't have to do anything.. now, I have it all squared away and sunrun is contacting dealer directly. Well, I asked sunrun can I schedule the install or have someone come out and tell me when it can be done? Turns out, what I thought was a free charger and install, well it's only the charger. So now this really awesome (expensive truck), has another expense I was unaware about until I reached out a few times and told otherwise. It's very frustrating because I only have the level 1 charger and the fast charger adapter they told me was ordered but estimated for October and sounds like is getting pushed back for everyone 🙃 So yeah, went through with quite estimate on qmerit (because sunrun employee told me they don't do the installs anymore lol) and they gave me a generic estimate based on my situation of 1600 without any taxes or permits included. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed and frustrated. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or if you're looking to purchase, keep this on your radar and be aware.
First off welcome to the forum!!
There is a wealth of information here that will help you along your EV journey. I purchased mine in March so still relatively new to EV’s but I have done a lot of research and learned a lot from this forum.
One thing to consider is you are saving $1310 by buying a 23 because they are not included with the 24’s from my understanding.
My first suggestion would be to get a local electrician (or two)to give you an estimate for the installation of the Ford ChargeStationPro it can be derated so that it is not pulling 80 Amps however another option might be to install a 14/50 Nema (I think that’s correct ) outlet for the mobile charger then you could just sell the Ford ChargeStationPro and maybe cover the cost of your installation or most of it.
You definitely want to charge at home because the cost of DC charging on the road is extremely expensive compared to most residential electric rates.
I kind of looked at it this way this is my first EV but probably will not be my last. I guess it partially depends how long it lasts and who knows what the future holds. Although it was quite a large upfront expense by installing the Ford charge station pro I am set up for the future and what I will not spend on gas in one year will easily justify the cost! Then my ROI goes up to 100%. If I purchase a newer EV in the future, I might have to change out the charger, but the infrastructure is there and it will be a minor expense. I know it kind of sucks having to pay that additional expense up front, but if you look at it long-term and think about how much you just spend on that truck, it’s kind of small in my opinion. I mean it’s like having a gas station at your house.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
First off welcome to the forum!!
There is a wealth of information here that will help you along your EV journey. I purchased mine in March so still relatively new to EV’s but I have done a lot of research and learned a lot from this forum.
One thing to consider is you are saving $1310 by buying a 23 because they are not included with the 24’s from my understanding.
My first suggestion would be to get a local electrician (or two)to give you an estimate for the installation of the Ford ChargeStationPro it can be derated so that it is not pulling 80 Amps however another option might be to install a 14/50 Nema (I think that’s correct ) outlet for the mobile charger then you could just sell the Ford ChargeStationPro and maybe cover the cost of your installation or most of it.
You definitely want to charge at home because the cost of DC charging on the road is extremely expensive compared to most residential electric rates.
I kind of looked at it this way this is my first EV but probably will not be my last. I guess it partially depends how long it lasts and who knows what the future holds. Although it was quite a large upfront expense by installing the Ford charge station pro I am set up for the future and what I will not spend on gas in one year will easily justify the cost! Then my ROI goes up to 100%. If I purchase a newer EV in the future, I might have to change out the charger, but the infrastructure is there and it will be a minor expense. I know it kind of sucks having to pay that additional expense up front, but if you look at it long-term and think about how much you just spend on that truck, it’s kind of small in my opinion. I mean it’s like having a gas station at your house.
True, This is all good info!! I just wish I had the extra money lmao 🤣

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
@Brandaman37, you assumed the charger install was free? Never has been. Used to get shipped by SunRun, now it is shipped via this coupon redemption. But install has never been free.

Your manual explains charging and limits. 90%, not 80%, is Ford's recommendation.

A 110v charging setup will lead to frustration. You can have that charger hardwired to provide less than 80amps, as a 100amp circuit can be quite expensive and rarely needed. Many use 48amp chargers on a 60amp circuit.

Your utility may sell discounted chargers or provide rebates. And you may qualify for a 30% tax credit on a charger purchase and install (not on the free charger). Then sell the unneeded Charge Station Pro.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
And you may qualify for a 30% tax credit on a charger purchase and install (not on the free charger).
To clarify - the installation costs of the “free” EVSE would be eligible for the tax credit if you meet the other requirements.

I'm sure that’s what you meant, but it could be interpreted otherwise.

OP
OP
Brandaman37

Brandaman37

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Machinist Technician
@Brandaman37, you assumed the charger install was free? Never has been. Used to get shipped by SunRun, now it is shipped via this coupon redemption. But install has never been free.

Your manual explains charging and limits. 90%, not 80%, is Ford's recommendation.

A 110v charging setup will lead to frustration. You can have that charger hardwired to provide less than 80amps, as a 100amp circuit can be quite expensive and rarely needed. Many use 48amp chargers on a 60amp circuit.

Your utility may sell discounted chargers or provide rebates. And you may qualify for a 30% tax credit on a charger purchase and install (not on the free charger). Then sell the unneeded Charge Station Pro.
The dealer lead me to believe I wouldn't have to worry about getting the charger setup. It was as simple as waiting for fcsp in the mail, call and make appointment, done. I didn't ask enough questions, so that is on me.

I did read about ford recommendations, as well as many other studies and tests. It's quite interesting to hear everyone's opinions and derived data from real world applications.

I'm in the Baltimore, MD area. There is a rebate going on for 700 bucks but it's stated on the website there's a list and people from December of 2023 are still awaiting their rebate. Sooner the better for me if I do go ahead with the install so I could potentially get it by early 2025. There was also 1000 tax credit type thing but I couldn't find the detailed info on if I qualified for it. Ford did apply the 7500 tax credit at the initial sale which is also a plus.

I guess in my mind, it was a bummer to me because I bought the truck, put a bunch down, traded in, bought all the warranties, thinking everything would be done, then went out and bought the cosmetic things I wanted, tonneau cover, all that good stuff, now I'm finding out about the charger info and what I need to do and I didn't know upfront before the purchase from the sales rep.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you bought an extended warranty from the dealership, price put an online dealer like Granger or Flood. You probably paid 50% more. Cancel yours and get a refund.

Tax credit is up to $1,000 based on 30% of charger and install price, IF you qualify. New location requirement in 2023.
Sponsored