• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford - Is a Lightning NACS Plug Addition possible?

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I saw a review on a Lightning delivered to Norway. Part of the conversion for Europe was adding a port in the false door to charge. They did not list the added cost. Might have to search for that review.
Sponsored

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I saw a review on a Lightning delivered to Norway. Part of the conversion for Europe was adding a port in the false door to charge. They did not list the added cost. Might have to search for that review.
COPowderskier posted the review on the forum.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Yes, but my recollection was that the drivers side port was closed off. It is important to note that the truck had to be reengineered/modified for the European market in order to meet technical and EU requirements.

Steveel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes, but my recollection was that the drivers side port was closed off. It is important to note that the truck had to be reengineered/modified for the European market in order to meet technical and EU requirements.
Yes this is true but people may give up CCS and go with NACS. I am sure software could handle whatever port was selected. I don't think it would be cheap to do however.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There is zero chance of this happening IMO. Both Tesla and A2Z have said they are developing an extension.

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I just charged at a Tesla site today. Fortunately the far right Tesla stall had an empty parking spot to the right. I parked at an angle and I took up one Tesla spot and one other standard parking spot. I still had to pull up at an angle and my front end was right next to the Tesla charger.

My feeling is even if a Lightning charge port were positioned where it would only take up one Tesla spot the Lightning‘s extra width would be an issue with the Tesla narrow spots. The only Tesla spots that appear to be able to easily handle a wider vehicle are the Handicap spots at some Tesla sites.

GM is putting in Chargers at local Pilot Gas station. Their spots are massively wide compared to a typical Tesla charge station.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Europe uses CCS2, not NACS, so those parts won’t apply here.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Just an idea...an adapter with a cable (maybe 6 feet long) could be an easier solution. A problem could be that it would have to either work with Tesla's thermal management system or have really, really heavy gauge wire. There are probably other issues too, but it can be fun to brainstorm.

After all, a second adapter in the truck will have to have about the same size wires running inside the truck. Wires outside aren't necessarily that different.
I spoke with a guy who works for one of the charging platform providers, the cable is most expensive part of Level 2 chargers.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
An extension could have its own cooling system, but not clear if that would be cheaper than using thicker wire. But it would need to be some kind of larger thing with a radiator and a fan (like the truck itself).

That inspires the idea that If building an extension / port relocation into the truck, cooling the cables that carry the high currents could be tied into the vehicle's on-board cooling system.

Sponsored

flux capacitor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
How about they just build charge stations that look like ICE stations where it does not matter where your charge port is you can just stop your vehicle where it works best. ICE's have had fuel ports in every imaginable place. They put them on the tight side, left side, and centered in the bumper in the back. In the 50's they use to hide them behind tail lights and other hidden places. All stations were able to accommodate anything even when pulling a trailer.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
An extension could have its own cooling system, but not clear if that would be cheaper than using thicker wire. But it would need to be some kind of larger thing with a radiator and a fan (like the truck itself).

That inspires the idea that If building an extension / port relocation into the truck, cooling the cables that carry the high currents could be tied into the vehicle's on-board cooling system.
Not quite:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford - Is a Lightning NACS Plug Addition possible? EXTENSION_NACS

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
As cords are being developed, wanted to share that in the Netherlands and other Euro countries regular public level charging stations don't have a cord, the EV driver supplies their own. This offers the charging ability while reducing cable theft. Perhaps as things progress here in the states especially in urban areas where vandalism is a problem we might switch to this method. If we do then the powers that be should also design L3 and beyond consumer cables.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Not quite:

EXTENSION_NACS.png
The A2Z extension appears to be going without active cooling which means thicker conductors to keep the resistance and heat down. Its not a shipping product yet, so not sure that photo will be what it really looks like. My prediction is it comes in shorter - like only 2m (6') long to hit their cost/price target with all that copper its going to need to stay cool enough.

Also they talk about active thermal "monitoring" which is another word for throttling.

You will notice the power rating of the extension is not yet published. Its likely going to be limited by current, not overall power. (i.e. 250 amps at 800v = 200 kW, but 250 amps for 400v vehicles like the Lightning is only 100kW).

The tradeoff might be you can reach the charge port, but you can only charge at some reduced current levels.

Hopefully they can get it up closer to 500 amps that us F150 Lightning owners really want.

Last edited:

MTcowpoke

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many diesels and a Lightning
Occupation
Rancher
I've posted this pic before. Can you even imagine the cost to add just the hardware for a NACS on the other side?
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford - Is a Lightning NACS Plug Addition possible? Charge Port
Sponsored