• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford - Is a Lightning NACS Plug Addition possible?

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Agreed. It is a major mod requiring additional hardware. But I would like to know the cost, because using the Tesla Supercharger network without hogging two stations would have value for the life of the vehicle.
I don't know that I've ever had to take up two spots before. I have to park very close, and i might be a LITTLE in a neighboring spot, but never where someone else couldn't sneak in and charge. I also try and pick the chargers on the end or the ones that are off to the side for pull up charging.
Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Better yet I would prefer that Ford creates a retrofit for 2022-2024 Lightnings to replace the CCS charge port with a NACS port for a reasonable fee. That shouldn’t be that difficult.
It's not just a port difference, but a whole contactor relay package that is not an inconsequential piece of equipment and is quite sizeable.

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
I've posted this pic before. Can you even imagine the cost to add just the hardware for a NACS on the other side?
Charge Port.jpg

wouldn't need all that to get CCS on the passenger side dummy door, just the ccs connector and a couple large orange wires connected to the ones on the drivers side. The truck would never know where the power was coming from as long as you didn't try to use both at the same time.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
wouldn't need all that to get CCS on the passenger side dummy door, just the ccs connector and a couple large orange wires connected to the ones on the drivers side. The truck would never know where the power was coming from as long as you didn't try to use both at the same time.
Right - you would need way more than that. Some kind of high-power switching mechanism would be needed since NACS uses the same pins for AC and DC.

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
Right - you would need way more than that. Some kind of high-power switching mechanism would be needed since NACS uses the same pins for AC and DC.
correct it would be way more complicated for nacs. I was just suggesting ccs for the passenger side. solves the supercharger blocking spaces dilemma. maybe you could just permanently mount the Tesla adapter to the ccs port behind the passenger charge port door.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
are the '25's expected to switch to NACS port?
That was the plan, we'll know as soon as they start promoting the ordering & production plans for MY25
Sounds like MY25 will continue to have a CCS1/J1772 port.

This overview of model year 2025 indicates that Ford will include the NACS adapter with the mobile charging kit if you order that option on a 2025 Lightning.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...anges-on-the-2025-ford-f-150-lightning.21073/

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Porsche has charge ports on both left and right on all Taycan models (except the turbo gt). Both accept AC charging, but only one accepts DC fast charging. I don’t think it would terribly difficult to install a second port on the passenger side of the Lightning, provided it was AC only. If it were cost effective/simple, I’m sure Porsche would have added DC functionality to both ports.

Last edited:

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I predict that in some future point the charge port will be in the front of car - like on the bumper or next to a headlight. The cable only needs to reach the width of the car.

Actually, I think that eventually we will get contactless technology, like we have for high end cell phones or we'll get automatic connections . With fuel you have to connect a hose to make the transfer and the gas station mentality carried over to EVs. With electricity there is no real reason for a hose like cable. The issues are safety and manufacturing standards.

In the near future, if someone wants to convert to NACS it should be possible to just replace the CCS1 port. The car and charger talk to each other before charging begins. At most, you might need a heavy duty relay to switch between the AC transformer and DC controller. How does Tesla do it?

I have to say that I don't understand why we have AC transformers built into the cars. I would think that having them in the home charging station or in the box of the "mobile" cord would make more sense. Cars would save a few lbs. and down the road you have less recycling. And you would be paying for the transformer once instead of every time you buy a car.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't know that I've ever had to take up two spots before. I have to park very close, and i might be a LITTLE in a neighboring spot, but never where someone else couldn't sneak in and charge. I also try and pick the chargers on the end or the ones that are off to the side for pull up charging.
Unless you are at the end charger, you are always taking up two chargers...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I predict that in some future point the charge port will be in the front of car - like on the bumper or next to a headlight. The cable only needs to reach the width of the car.
The downside of that approach is that what would have been a relatively minor accident make the vehicle unusable because you can’t charge.

Statistically, the front bumper is the #1 area damaged in a wreck.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Actually, I think that eventually we will get contactless technology, like we have for high end cell phones or we'll get automatic connections . With fuel you have to connect a hose to make the transfer and the gas station mentality carried over to EVs. With electricity there is no real reason for a hose like cable. The issues are safety and manufacturing standards.
I've seen several reports where level 2 wireless chargers have similar charge speed and efficiency compared to wired. I'm looking forward to the day when EV's come with that capability, though it's likely not anytime soon.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
The downside of that approach is that what would have been a relatively minor accident make the vehicle unusable because you can’t charge.

Statistically, the front bumper is the #1 area damaged in a wreck.

Incentive to turn on collision avoidance and not tailgate? I use my adaptive cruise control all the time. I wish it did not shut off at stops.

But you may have a good reason to keep the ports where they are on the F150. I like the location of my port - when RAe tells me the charge port is open when I start driving I can stop, open the door, step on the running board and reach the port to close it. (But I am getting training to pull the plug, close the charge door, then hang up the plug - just like on an ICE car.)

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
correct it would be way more complicated for nacs. I was just suggesting ccs for the passenger side. solves the supercharger blocking spaces dilemma. maybe you could just permanently mount the Tesla adapter to the ccs port behind the passenger charge port door.
Actually, neither CSS or NACS would have to be difficult at all. My suggestion is to put the NACS on the passenger side but it would only work for DCFC which eliminates the need for any switching equipment or other complications. When you L2 charge, you use the J1772 part of the CSS port side.
Sponsored