• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company has the MOST sophisticated OTA update system...???

H8N-8NT-EZ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Check this out: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alex...9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

Here's a copy and paste of the post:

Can you guess which automaker has the most sophisticated over-the-air software update capability in the United States market as of 2024?

The answer is Ford Motor Company, whose hashtag#OTA capability as demonstrated on the Mustang Mach-E exceeds every other automaker selling vehicles with the capability in the United States today.

While hashtag#Tesla and hashtag#Rivian update their vehicles more frequently and with more content overall, Ford’s ability to update the car while the vehicle is in use represents a novel capability that we’ve seen no other automaker employ on the road in the United States – and they’re quickly catching up in cadence, too, thanks to broad availability of their capability across all brands and powertrains.

Ford made an active design choice to equip vehicle electronics with “A/B” partitioning, allowing software updates to be installed silently, then “switched over” to the newly updated partition without an interruption to the vehicle’s functionality.

Laying the technology foundation that Ford has is a crucial step in enabling the long-term vision of the software-defined vehicle, and we’re now seeing the fruits of sizeable investments in development tools, organizational changes, and architecture overhauls give the company the opportunity to meet or even leapfrog the agility of their hashtag#EV competition.

For more information on this ranking and methodology, refer to our quarterly OTA and Software-Delivered Features Guide, which also tracks every known software update pushed by every automaker in the United States, Europe, and China:
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Ford made an active design choice to equip vehicle electronics with “A/B” partitioning, allowing software updates to be installed silently, then “switched over” to the newly updated partition without an interruption to the vehicle’s functionality.
This explains a lot.

Folks, it’s not that we’re not getting updates. My truck has been updating daily since 2022, it just hasn’t flipped over to partition B.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
If Fords implementation of OTA Updates is the bar then the industry is truly screwed!

Can't think of a more buggy, convoluted, non transparent, random updating system.

Sponsored

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I've owned my truck for about 3 months and have only received 4.2.1.1 update....can't wait to experience Ford's revolutionary OTA's!!! All this does is build the anticipation! :sneaky:

DatOleMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat and 2022 Mach e Premium
The article states Mach E. My wife Mach get updates all the time and I’m still stuck on 4.2.1.2. I have an appointment with my dealership on Friday.

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing

They talk about fords Ota in the latest episode

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

They talk about fords Ota in the latest episode
I listened to the first half this morning, they were just starting to talk about OTA's when I got to work. When Darren was talking about how hard they work on getting OTA's ready, I just kept thinking, "He's got no clue they aren't actually sending them out."

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I think someone has equated "sophisticated" with complex and confusing.
I think if you looked in a Thesaurus, you’ll find that those words are synonyms! 😂

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
They just need to use their wonderful #OTA system to send out some updates that cure the truck/FCSP communication/behavior problems. All talk and very little action, IMHO. When my truck and my FCSP get their act together, my Home Integration System works flawlessly. But it's always a roll of the dice whether the FCSP and the truck can communicate reliably on any given day. How many "connectivity" updates has Ford issued now? None of them have fixed truck/FCSP problems, as far as I'm concerned...

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...y-for-truck-fcsp-bad-behavior-problems.19650/

Reactions: chl

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Check this out: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alex...9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

Here's a copy and paste of the post:

Can you guess which automaker has the most sophisticated over-the-air software update capability in the United States market as of 2024?

The answer is Ford Motor Company, whose hashtag#OTA capability as demonstrated on the Mustang Mach-E exceeds every other automaker selling vehicles with the capability in the United States today.

While hashtag#Tesla and hashtag#Rivian update their vehicles more frequently and with more content overall, Ford’s ability to update the car while the vehicle is in use represents a novel capability that we’ve seen no other automaker employ on the road in the United States – and they’re quickly catching up in cadence, too, thanks to broad availability of their capability across all brands and powertrains.

Laying the technology foundation that Ford has is a crucial step in enabling the long-term vision of the software-defined vehicle, and we’re now seeing the fruits of sizeable investments in development tools, organizational changes, and architecture overhauls give the company the opportunity to meet or even leapfrog the agility of their hashtag#EV competition.

For more information on this ranking and methodology, refer to our quarterly OTA and Software-Delivered Features Guide, which also tracks every known software update pushed by every automaker in the United States, Europe, and China:
This dude and the people at SBD are all morons. They love their colored cubicles that make their world look like roses and rainbows.

This guy won't even list Ford on his job title of Director. So does he work for Ford or not? Either way, I can't speak for Rivian, but I can tell you that Ford isn't even in the same camp as Tesla, Tesla leaves them in the dust when it comes to vehicle architecture and distribution of updates. Its hilarious.

What he really failed to mention is that we know your trucks sit in the garage for many hours every day and we can't update them at that time, because you have to start the truck to get it to check in with the mothership. I can't even go on. This is what makes me want to drive this truck off a cliff and wish I'd never bought it. Oh that and a battery that no one will tell us what is truly wrong with it.

Last edited:

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
This dude and the people at SBD are all morons. They love their colored cubicles that make their world look like roses and rainbows.

This guy won't even list Ford on his job title of Director. So does he work for Ford or not? Either way, I can't speak for Rivian, but I can tell you that Ford isn't even in the same camp as Tesla, Tesla leaves them in the dust when it comes to vehicle architecture and distribution of updates. Its hilarious.

What he really failed to mention is that we know your trucks sit in the garage for many hours every day and we can't update them at that time, because you have to start the truck to get it to check in with the mothership. I can' even go on. This is what makes me want to drive this truck off a cliff and wish I'd never bought it. Oh that and a battery that no one will tell us what is truly wrong with it.
I think you said it best. The authors of the “study” have framed out a set of rules for their assessment that were designed to make Ford come out on top.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Software loads on most of the newer commercial aircraft (Boeing 787, Airbus A350) work this way as well. There is a repository and a "live" software server. When an update gets pushed, only the repository is updated and the live version remains untouched until a mechanic does something with it. Repository updates can take place on the ground or in the air.
Sponsored