Sponsored

Has Anyone Had Ford Dealer Install Walk Away Lock (WAL) by Installing BCM Update Through FDRS? If so, how and was there a cost?

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Question is in the title - Has anyone successfully had a Ford Dealer install Walk Away Lock (WAL) by installing the BCM update in FDRS that requires the NASTF username/password?

If so, how did you get them to install it? Was there a cost? If so, how much?

It's amazing to me how little the Ford Dealer Technicians in my area know about module updating on these vehicles. Especially given how close we are to Dearborn...

First the tech at my local dealer told me they do not have this access and it's not something typically done by dealers....after pressing further, they agreed to contact their Ford Engineer rep and would get back to me... I'm not optimistic this will go anywhere, but I'm willing to pay to get WAL enabled on this vehicle if I can find someone able to.

Any other suggestions here?

And if anyone knows of a dealer in SW Michigan that has knowledge of this update, please share. Thanks!
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Question is in the title - Has anyone successfully had a Ford Dealer install Walk Away Lock (WAL) by installing the BCM update in FDRS that requires the NASTF username/password?

If so, how did you get them to install it? Was there a cost? If so, how much?

It's amazing to me how little the Ford Dealer Technicians in my area know about module updating on these vehicles. Especially given how close we are to Dearborn...

First the tech at my local dealer told me they do not have this access and it's not something typically done by dealers....after pressing further, they agreed to contact their Ford Engineer rep and would get back to me... I'm not optimistic this will go anywhere, but I'm willing to pay to get WAL enabled on this vehicle if I can find someone able to.

Any other suggestions here?

And if anyone knows of a dealer in SW Michigan that has knowledge of this update, please share. Thanks!
They should be charging a half hour of labor; no more than one hour of labor at most. The BCM update takes less than 10 minutes to do.

OP
OP

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They should be charging a half hour of labor; no more than one hour of labor at most. The BCM update takes less than 10 minutes to do.
that's a good benchmark....now if only I can find someone at a local dealer that actually understands what I'm after and can actually do the work.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
that's a good benchmark....now if only I can find someone at a local dealer that actually understands what I'm after and can actually do the work.
As long as it is customer pay, I don't see why any dealer would say no.

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
One thing that might work is if you have an open CSP for a software update on another module you could ask the tech for a favor since they’re already doing FDRS updates. You might get it for free, or you might get charged a small labor charge. I think they even do this with mobile service.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One thing that might work is if you have an open CSP for a software update on another module you could ask the tech for a favor since they’re already doing FDRS updates. You might get it for free, or you might get charged a small labor charge. I think they even do this with mobile service.
that’s exactly why I called to ask. They just don’t know anything about this special login requirement.

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
that’s exactly why I called to ask. They just don’t know anything about this special login requirement.
It’s probably because they don’t need a special login. It may not even prompt them if they are using a dealer login. I would just say you need a BCM module update and not even mention the login.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
As long as it is customer pay, I don't see why any dealer would say no.
Because Ford has directed their dealers not to install any software updates unless it is to resolve a documented problem. If you walk in and ask to have your software updated simply because you want the newest stuff, they are supposed to tell you no and to wait for OTA.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Because Ford has directed their dealers not to install any software updates unless it is to resolve a documented problem. If you walk in and ask to have your software updated simply because you want the newest stuff, they are supposed to tell you no and to wait for OTA.
Was this communicated to dealers with a GSB that I maybe didn't see?