• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit PU-22G06

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
I bought my Lariat ER (511A) in August. Was told at that time that I would get the heated steering wheel installed once the parts are available.

Today, I am told that my truck isn't compatible with the heated steering wheel, but that my dealership will be advocating for me with Ford Canada. Not sure what this all means.

Has anyone had this experience before? I bought the truck on the understanding that I would get a heated steering wheel. I signed an acknowledgment form indicating as such (albeit, this was not an "agreement" since I was the only who signed it).

Am I SOL?
I'd call Ford Motor Company customer service and open a case so they can advocate for you. I have a '23 Lariat ER that was delivered without the ordered heated steering due to "chips not being available" and that was recently remedied by my dealer - so it seems the same should pertain for you.
Sponsored

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I'd call Ford Motor Company customer service and open a case so they can advocate for you. I have a '23 Lariat ER that was delivered without the ordered heated steering due to "chips not being available" and that was recently remedied by my dealer - so it seems the same should pertain for you.
Thanks. I did this and after about 30 minutes on the phone with them, they confirmed that my vehicle will have a heated steering wheel installed at some point in time in future. Guess there was some miscommunication between the dealer & FoMoCo.

All good - now, I wait!

Fastmikerx7

First Name
FM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR
Occupation
.GOV
Stopped by Dealer to AGAIN inquire about my heated steering wheel retrofit.

Luckily for me, my Service Advisor was NOT there. He has been telling me that the part(s) are on backorder.

I got a different advisor and she looked into the issue and said part(s) are NOT on backorder and that they have them in Detroit.
They were never ordered...

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ng-wheel-retrofit-pu-22g06.16703/#post-336773
^^^Sept 18.^^^

parts will be at the dealership in one week...

Last edited:

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Stopped by Dealer to AGAIN inquire about my heated steering wheel retrofit.

Luckily for me, my Service Advisor was NOT there. He has been telling me that the part(s) are on backorder.

I got a different advisor and she looked into the issue and said part(s) are NOT on backorder and that they have them in Detroit.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ng-wheel-retrofit-pu-22g06.16703/#post-336773
^^^Sept 18.^^^

parts will be at the dealership in one week...
Wow - that is where dealers' employees go rogue & really fail the Ford Motor Company/dealership - they should always be upselling customers with outstanding customer service.

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
I took mine in back in early October. Was told that the heated steering wheel was on back order, and their tests showed I did not need the battery module. Fast forward and the car gives me a “Powertrain malfunction” so I get it towed. They call back saying they DO need to replace the battery module after all. And that the heated steering wheel parts have 3 options, and that Ford is not prioritising the West coast for these. I called Ford and they said they’d talk to the dealer but that the recall team I was working on focused only on the battery module replacement. Practicing deep breaths.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yikes, that should be a phone call and email direct to the GM about that service advisor.

As for parts, they were on back-order... Then there was a hold on doing the retrofit. Now as I understand it, all of it is OK. My steering wheel parts are in at the dealer, but I can't get my truck in for another 10 days. Ugh... But they should be able to take care of everything when I take it in.

FastMover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum 14 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I had my 23 Platinum in 2 weeks ago to have parts ordered. Confirmed the HSW was on hold via Ford.
Brought it back last Monday for the lightbar recall parts were in. Told me no update on the HSW yet.

Last edited:

Fastmikerx7

First Name
FM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR
Occupation
.GOV
I will probably talk with the advisor when the parts come in. Hopefully he reaches out to me to schedule my appointment for the retrofit. If I revisit the dealership and the parts are there and he didn't call me... then yea... not good.
I won't be sure if it is his fault or some disconnect between service/parts dept. or whatever but I would be asking some questions fersure.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I have been waiting on parts for a while and I talked to my SA to check on them last week. He went to the parts manager and apparently one part I needed that was back ordered was now showing as obsolete. The parts manager got in touch with Ford and the latest update is that they now have the correct part ordered and it is supposed to be here next week. I’ll try to find out the part numbers involved but if you are still waiting on parts you might want to have your dealer verify that there aren’t any part number changes they missed.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Final update:

Dealer called this morning truck is all done.

I took in for the heated steering wheel retrofit last week and when I picked it up the airbag light was on.

They traced it today to a loose pin in a harness and fixed. And the clips for the rear lightbar came in so they completed that warranty work as well.

So - if you see Airbag warning light on and this message active in FordPass after the service is done:

Ford F-150 Lightning Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit PU-22G06 IMG_5803

let the dealer know to check the harness and pins on the drivers side.

Sponsored

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Final update:

Dealer called this morning truck is all done.

I took in for the heated steering wheel retrofit last week and when I picked it up the airbag light was on.

They traced it today to a loose pin in a harness and fixed. And the clips for the rear lightbar came in so they completed that warranty work as well.

So - if you see Airbag warning light on and this message active in FordPass after the service is done:

IMG_5803.png

let the dealer know to check the harness and pins on the drivers side.
Wow that is a bit of a complication that you'd not expect - how would you rate the service received overall?

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Wow that is a bit of a complication that you'd not expect - how would you rate the service received overall?
Overall I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Letting it go out of service bay with DTCs active on the drivers airbag - of all things - was disappointing.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I just took my ER Lariat in for the 10k tire rotation and inspection. Since I just moved across the country, I wanted to establish business with them before asking about all the recalls.

I must say, I couldn't be more impressed. They rotated the tires, switched out the dash mat, and ordered the parts for the tail lightbar and heated steering wheel.

ONE day later, (today) they call me telling me all the parts are in. We set up the repairs for next Tuesday. They are dropping off a rental at my house, and say they should have it done in a day and a half.

Oh, and in their inspection, they discovered the rain sensing wipers weren't doing any sensing, to which I can confirm. It just never bothered me. They are fixing that too.

Shout out to Russ Milne Ford. I'll update in a week or so if the heated steering wheel is fixed, but they didn't seem to have any issues getting parts for anything.
Here's a final update -

I took my truck in for service today. They gave me a 2023 ICE F-150 XLT as a rental that had 45 miles on it!

I dropped my truck off at 9 am. I mentioned that I saw the active air dam warning pop up for 2 seconds just a couple days prior for the first time.

They said doing all this work would take two days. I get a call at 3 pm saying they were all done. I couldn't believe it.

So, in 6 hours, they added the heated steering wheel, fixed the rain sensing wipers, did the battery module test and did a software update, replaced the rear lightbar, updated BECM software, and replaced both active air dam actuators.

That's the best dealer experience I will likely ever have. I got my truck back at 4 pm and verified that the heated steering wheel does in fact work.

Amazing!

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Overall I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Letting it go out of service bay with DTCs active on the drivers airbag - of all things - was disappointing.
I agree & especially for a critical safety issue like an airbag - in fact the entire transportation experience is safety oriented & critical for most of us - to try and get the safest ride possible.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Here's a final update -

I took my truck in for service today. They gave me a 2023 ICE F-150 XLT as a rental that had 45 miles on it!

I dropped my truck off at 9 am. I mentioned that I saw the active air dam warning pop up for 2 seconds just a couple days prior for the first time.

They said doing all this work would take two days. I get a call at 3 pm saying they were all done. I couldn't believe it.

So, in 6 hours, they added the heated steering wheel, fixed the rain sensing wipers, did the battery module test and did a software update, replaced the rear lightbar, updated BECM software, and replaced both active air dam actuators.

That's the best dealer experience I will likely ever have. I got my truck back at 4 pm and verified that the heated steering wheel does in fact work.

Amazing!
That is super rare - congratulations though.
Sponsored