• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How often do you actually use the 9.6 kw pro power on board?

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Excellent question

The 240v plug puts out 30 amps which totals to 7.2kw, but you still have the cabin/frunk circuit which is 120v at 20 amps which totals to another 2.4kw; thus, the truck can output 9.6kw, but you have to use the front and back of the truck.
hmm, I wasn't aware of that. good to know
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I can't get the color I want and the 9.6 kw option :(
Can you elaborate on the year model and color you're talking about? I haven't seen any lightnings without propower and Ford has little mention of any changes like you describe.

OP
OP

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
Can you elaborate on the year model and color you're talking about? I haven't seen any lightnings without propower and Ford has little mention of any changes like you describe.
It's just an availability issue. The Lariat used to come with 9.6 kw standard, but in 2024 it's now optional and costs extra. So you don't have as many options and less availability. If you go to the ford website and search you'll see much less availability for the color you might want. i.e. "Arriving in December" whereas for models without the feature you can get almost all colors somewhere nearby.

I did find a dealer in another state who has the color and 9.6kw option, willing to deliver for a somewhat considerable fee, plus all the hassle with registering it etc I don't think its worth it for me. But I STILL WANT IT!

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Well, this is interesting. I see that it's optional on pro, xlt and flash but the Canadian website shows it's standard on Lariat and platinum.

I guess we just don't get as many options. However, I wouldn't want one without it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
As many have said, I only intend to use it for two purposes, the primary use will be as a back up to my current emergency power system in the house 14.4 kWh EcoFlow, after two years in service, I have not needed to activate backup-2 from the PPOB.

The second purpose will be for powering pit equipment when I'm motorcycle drag racing, that hasn't happened yet, but hopefully the race bikes engine refresh project will be finished by spring of 2025.

Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
To me, its crazy not to do the 7.2 kw 240v option. That makes your 130+ ER truck into an electricity tanker.

Yes, you can then back up many more home appliances (AC, Oven perhaps excepted).

BUT, the technology of Hybrid solar/battery systems (aka All inOne) is rapidly maturing. Imagine a prolonged grid failure. You can charge your vehicle during the day, have a smaller home pack of batteries to cover basic needs when the vehicle is away, but then use the vehicle as a battery at night or during cloudy days.

The point is that 135 kwh of battery is a HUGE battery. Being able to couple it with a home solar/battery system leverages BOTH.

IF you are remotely able/interested/considering home battery plus solar (or in some circumstances wind/hydro) then you really want the 240v 7.2 kwh option.

The other uses for 240v are obvious.

As for basic home backup -- that works too, but discussing it here is an issue since its technically not code...

OP
OP

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
To me, its crazy not to do the 7.2 kw 240v option. That makes your 130+ ER truck into an electricity tanker.

Yes, you can then back up many more home appliances (AC, Oven perhaps excepted).

BUT, the technology of Hybrid solar/battery systems (aka All inOne) is rapidly maturing. Imagine a prolonged grid failure. You can charge your vehicle during the day, have a smaller home pack of batteries to cover basic needs when the vehicle is away, but then use the vehicle as a battery at night or during cloudy days.

The point is that 135 kwh of battery is a HUGE battery. Being able to couple it with a home solar/battery system leverages BOTH.

IF you are remotely able/interested/considering home battery plus solar (or in some circumstances wind/hydro) then you really want the 240v 7.2 kwh option.

The other uses for 240v are obvious.

As for basic home backup -- that works too, but discussing it here is an issue since its technically not code...
It's also crazy to buy a $70k+ truck and not be able to get the color you want :(

I should have bought this truck in 2023 and not have worried about any of this. Oh well, but the heat pump better be freaking worth it...

Ohm_boy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Engineer
I use mine nearly every day, but do have a somewhat unique case.

Where I work provides free to me level 2 charging. My wife has a Jeep 4XE, and the Lightning allows me to bring home the energy to charge her vehicle daily as well. It’s been a great bonus to be able to charge both vehicles from the electricity provided at my job!

Outside of that, it’s also a nice feeling of being prepared if I need it.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
My requirements were the lightning pro , pro power#1. , bed step, tow package.
As a contractor I already have multiple generators including 2 diesel trailers. With the propower, the trailers are not necessary unless I need power in more than 1 location.

Running tools and now a welder is the bomb without having to worry about running cords.

Power walls are expensive for what kw capacity you get. Almost cheaper to get the lightning and turn it into a portable power wall with a 100-130kw avaliable..

Rick

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I used the 240 v to power our cabin when we had power outages twice now. I connected it to a generator inlet with an interlock bypass. It couldn’t run our 3.5 ton AC so I installed a 8000 btu window unit in the bedroom. It runs well pump and house water pump fine and keeps refrigerator, freezer, internet and TV going during outages.

I use the 120v outlets in the bed and the fronk all the time to run powered coolers when transporting food from house to cabin. I have a 33 qt cooler in the front that we keep at -4dF as a freezer and a 55 qt in the bed at 34dF as a refrigerator.

Today I’m going to use the 120v outlet to run our electric chain saw to cut up 2 fallen dead pine trees at our cabin property.

Sponsored

Dino

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning, 22 Volvo XC 60 plug-in hybrid
I use my PBOB 240v outlet to charge my 17kw Volvo hybrid overnight and then charge my Lightning during the day from my excess solar output. I have also used it a few times for other things and have it set up to power one of my panels if need be.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER
The main reason I wanted PPOB was to power the house during an outage. I had a transfer switch installed when I got the truck about a year ago and have used it for that purpose probably 6 times or so. Worth every penny.

But I have also used it a handful of times to power tools in the backyard while building a playhouse for my kids. Beats having to run a string of extension cords from the house and the tailgate makes for a good workbench.

All said, it’s one of those features I don’t use every week, but I can’t imagine not having it. Kinda like having a truck bed.

BarryGoyette

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Photographer
I’m a photographer/video producer, and I bought the truck to have a mobile solution for running lights etc on location jobs.

Haven’t had the project come up for that yet, but I have found I love the convenience of running power tools, compressor, etc on small projects, using the gate as a workbench.

Used it this way twice last week.
Sponsored