Sponsored

How pessimistic is the Mi/kWh display on the dash?

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
Something new I noticed on my commute today - differing displays and calculations for mi/kWh. I do not use the GOM for anything and usually do the math when driving long distances. I have noticed using my ODBII device the dash display is generally pessimistic on what it shows once I do the calculation post trip. I attributed it to rounding but why do different screens in the truck show different results? Has anyone else done a deeper dive into specifics on this using data for measurements? If so, please provide results. That extra ~.1 or .15 mi/kHw might help change charging locations when traveling.

Ford F-150 Lightning How pessimistic is the Mi/kWh display on the dash? IMG_9272

Ford F-150 Lightning How pessimistic is the Mi/kWh display on the dash? IMG_9270

Ford F-150 Lightning How pessimistic is the Mi/kWh display on the dash? IMG_9273

Ford F-150 Lightning How pessimistic is the Mi/kWh display on the dash? IMG_9269
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This has always been an issue

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
If you are traveling relatively flat interstate at 70 mph with no head wind, j use 2 m/kwh always. After just under 15k miles I never have seen a miracle change like others post.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
This subject gives comic relief given the five hashtag marks gauging fuel tank volume many of us grew up with. I drove 52 miles with my Bug on “R” one dark eve when all stations were closed. To this day I’ve no idea of volume but I definitely used all of “ R”.

Sponsored

BarryGoyette

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Photographer
For me, I generally ignore the GOM. I plug my destination into Apple Maps, and it gives me a destination SOC that tends to increase slightly during the trip. I find that comforting.. and so far it’s otherwise exceedingly accurate.

PatchesPal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model y, Lexus RX300
I have always been curious what time or distance the mi/kWh is based on?

For example, is it the average of the last 5 miles or the last 5 minutes?
Or is it the average since the trip started?

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I have always been curious what time or distance the mi/kWh is based on?

For example, is it the average of the last 5 miles or the last 5 minutes?
Or is it the average since the trip started?
It's the average for the trip. It wouldn't make since if what it showed for "this trip" or "trip 1" wasn't actually for "this trip" or "trip 1."

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Like any computation, the value is based on the data input to make the calculation.

We can assume the mileage number is pretty accurate based on wheel rotation.

How well the kWh's are measured is a question mark.

So the time (hours or fraction thereof) probably pretty accurate.
But how is the power (kW) determined?
The terminal voltage of the HV battery x the measured current we assume.
But the terminal voltage will decline slightly as the battery discharges maybe such a small amount it is within the margin of error of the measurement tool.
And the current will fluctuate as more or less is used, so it has to be summed/sampled and digitized which introduces some error as well.

Without knowing the details of how the mi/kWh number is actually calculated, hard to say how accurate it is - so let's call it a ball-park number and be done with it!

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Electricity meters operate by continuously measuring the instantaneous voltage (volts) and current (amperes) to give energy used (in joules or kilowatt-hours, etc.).

The standard electric power meter is a clock-like device driven by the electricity moving through it. As the home draws current from the power lines, a set of small gears inside the meter move. The number of revolutions is recorded by the dials that you can see on the face of the meter.

A mechanical electric meter has two conductor coils that create magnetic fields. One coil is impacted by the voltage going across the conductor, and the other is affected by the current going across the conductor. The magnetic fields generated by the interaction of these coils then turn a thin aluminum disc at a controlled speed proportional to the amount of electricity consumed.

The spinning of the disc moves the dials that indicate the total electricity consumed in kilowatt-hours.

Now I haven't seen one of those in my Lightning...so how does the lightning do it?

It is some kind of non-analog digital approximation.
Sponsored