• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I Need a Battery Replacement at 1500 miles.

SoCalSaluki

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I just leased a new 2024 Lightning Flash and just before 1500 miles I got a “Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power” notification and had a loss of power. It was still drivable but did not have much power on acceleration.

I took it back to Ford dealership and they told me that several battery cells were faulty and it needed a whole new battery.

My intention was to buy at the end of my lease but now I’m worried I picked the lemon on the lot. This seems completely unacceptable.

What are my options here?
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I'm not sure how you lemon law a lease, but start that immediately to light a fire under the dealer's ass to get your battery fixed. Your battery has an 8 year 100k mile warranty so your safer than you think. You got a hell of a lemon of a battery. It's rare to have a single cell crap out, much less multiple. Let them replace the jacked cells, then enjoy your truck for the rest of your time with it. Just cause the battery crapped out doesn't mean anything else is wrong with any other aspect of the truck.

OP
OP

SoCalSaluki

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I'm not sure how you lemon law a lease, but start that immediately to light a fire under the dealer's ass to get your battery fixed. Your battery has an 8 year 100k mile warranty so your safer than you think. You got a hell of a lemon of a battery. It's rare to have a single cell crap out, much less multiple. Let them replace the jacked cells, then enjoy your truck for the rest of your time with it. Just cause the battery crapped out doesn't mean anything else is wrong with any other aspect of the truck.
They’re replacing the entire battery. But it’s gonna be at least a week till the part gets in. They told me I’m going to be without the truck at least 3 weeks.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Wait until the lease is nearly up before deciding if you want to buy the truck. You don't have a complete picture yet of whether it works for your particular situation.

Stuff breaks. You won the crappy lottery. Hopefully your dealer provides a loaner and finishes the work in a reasonable amount of time. Please keep us updated on your experience.

OP
OP

SoCalSaluki

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Wait until the lease is nearly up before deciding if you want to buy the truck. You don't have a complete picture yet of whether it works for your particular situation.

Stuff breaks. You won the crappy lottery. Hopefully your dealer provides a loaner and finishes the work in a reasonable amount of time. Please keep us updated on your experience.
They are providing a loaner (mustang mach E) but at 6’5” 250lbs anything smaller than my truck is a literal pain in my ass, back, knees etc. when I put any real amount of driving in.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I took it back to Ford dealership and they told me that several battery cells were faulty and it needed a whole new battery.
I would ask to see the diagnostic report on that.

Due to the modular design, it would be highly unlikely all the cells are bad, you'd be the first I've heard of.

Most likely it just needs a module replaced due to bad cells in the module and not the entire battery.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I would ask to see the diagnostic report on that.

Due to the modular design, it would be highly unlikely all the cells are bad, you'd be the first I've heard of.

Most likely it just needs a module replaced due to bad cells in the module and not the entire battery.
As @Heliian stated, it won't be a whole battery pack. If anything it just be a module which takes +/- 2 weeks to get repaired. I had it done to my truck as well.

Talk to the dealer and get the battery report, which shows which cells where bad. It will look something like this:

Ford F-150 Lightning I Need a Battery Replacement at 1500 miles. IMG_1832(2)

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
My intention was to buy at the end of my lease but now I’m worried I picked the lemon on the lot. This seems completely unacceptable.

What are my options here?
lemon only applies after 3 failed attempts to fix.

get it fixed. I agree its totally unacceptable but sh*t happens

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Actually in Calif it’s 10 years 150,000 miles I believe on the battery.

Rick

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
The battery failures in Lightnings I've heard about happen early. I haven't heard about failures later on. It seems like you either have a manufacturing defect that shows up in the first few thousand miles or you're good to go for the long haul.

What I'm curious about is if there is a failure beyond the warranty period, when there is at least some degradation, if only the individual affected module can be replaced. The voltage among the modules has to "match," and I haven't seen any technical guidance from Ford regarding replacing individual modules when the working modules have a degree of degradation. But so far data shows that even at high miles degradation is slight.

Sponsored

RaspPiDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Flash (ER), Oxford White
Occupation
Software Development, Automotive Industry
They are providing a loaner (mustang mach E) but at 6’5” 250lbs anything smaller than my truck is a literal pain in my ass, back, knees etc. when I put any real amount of driving in.
I'm the same physically and had to drive a Mach-E loaner for a day. Not my cup of tea.. I actually had more head room than I thought I would, but it was a tight fit and getting in and out wasn't fun. It was also LOUD compared to the truck, which I assume is because you're way closer to the road noise.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Meh. It's one warranty issue; let them fix it and then finish out your lease.