• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning?

FordEVr DAD

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 lightning
Occupation
Stock trader
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
[/QUOTE******************************

Sure I have had some issues with my lightning (update bricked the truck, air dam issue, public charging issues, full accessory power issue) but ford had easily fixed them. OVERALL, I cannot be happier with my purchase. The drive is very smooth, the engine is very quiet, it's very easy to maneuver the truck, it can accelerate really fast, the pro power onboard is very useful when camping, charging it at home is very easy, the ford app is super useful, the frunk is nice to have, there is a lot of leg room for the kids in the back seat, the truck has a lot of space to carry stuff, the 15 inch screen is amazing, there is so much tech in this thing. I mean, all in all, I really enjoy driving this truck. No regrets with my purchase at all.
Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Use case, use case, use case. Whether you love or hate this truck will be completely based on how you'll use it. It is an amazing truck with limitations. If you don't learn what those limitations are ahead of time, and they apply to you, you will be miserable. If the limitations don't apply to you, you'll be in love.

I'll be honest. I bought the LER because it was a steal and I wanted to get hands-free driving without taking a big hit on a one year old Denali. I did little research on EV's because I took 320 miles of range at face value, without knowing that EV range is inversely affected by speed compared to ICE. I purchased it while on a project in rural Kentucky as winter kicked into gear, and boy was I in for a rude awakening. You'll see a lot negative toned posts from me early on. However, I've told everyone I know who has normal 9-5 lives that it's amazing, while I tell my project guys that it needs a bit more before it's ready for them.

Do you research, look at your geography, climate, and speed limits. Look at your use case. There's nothing wrong with the truck, it's just not ready for everybody unless you're willing to make sacrifices.

I wrote the following trying to be as objective as possible in case you want to check it out:
23-ler-lariat-final-thoughts-9-months-20k-mile-ownership.21122

Last edited:

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Do your research! (namely peruse this website for days, weeks, months)

I did and at 28k and almost 2 years and still am in complete love with the truck.

I knew the Pro's and Con's going into it because I researched. The Con's dont really affect me that much so it's all good for me.

Do I have some grievances with Ford regarding software. Yes. I knew this was not their strength because I did my research so Im not too upset by it.

Last edited:

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I love my LER!

If you have to drive long distances on highways often, this truck may not be for you as you will have to stop and charge more often than you would have to fill up with fuel in an ICE vehicle-the cost would be comparable, but the time will be more in an EV especially if you have a standard range battery!

If you tow long distances, your range will be substantially less than an ICE vehicle… see above!

If you spend a majority of your time, not having to drive long distances then this truck might work for your situation?

Check out some of the other threads on this forum. Many people have asked similar questions!

Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
When my wife got a 2021 mach e GTPE. I was like this is the best car ever. It is amazing, does it have issues with a brand new ev from Ford, yeah but nothing crazy. Just like my 2015 Mustang GT has some issues being new model year.
But when I got my 2024 lightning I I was like this thing is amazing. Everything is better than the mache. You would not regret getting one.

KrazyEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME RWD SB, 2018 Zero FXS, 2014 Zero S
Occupation
Taxi Driver
This is my 5th Electric Ford and 2nd Lightning. 2014 Focus Electric, 2016 Focus Electric, 2021 Mach E Premium SR, 2023 XLT SR and now my present 2022 Lariat ER.
I have been riding and driving Electric for
about 15 years owning over a dozen cars/trucks and 5 electric motorcycles.
Whenever someone announces a new
vehicle that interests me I reserve it.
If I like it when it arrives, I buy it. The
Lightning was intended to be a placeholder until my 2023 Mach E arrived.
I was driving the XLT when the Mach E arrived. I didn't like the color and had gotten somewhat happy with the XLT.
My son in law had planned to purchase the XLT when the Mach E arrived so we had been looking at Lightnings for him. The Lariat became available around the time my Mach E arrived but circumstances didn't allow for
him to purchase it. Since I didn't take the
Mach E and nothing I had reserved was
immediately on the horizon I bought the
Lariat. Since then, Tesla has been sending
me emails to configure my CyberJunk, my
reserved Silverado has arrived but my plan
as of now is to keep the Lariat until a
smaller electric truck with similar features
comes on the market.
I have no need or use for a truck but like
to have something to tow my motorcycles
on road trips. An Electric Maverick would
probably be perfect.
No issues with the truck but dealership IS
Important. I have been dealing with the
same Ford dealership for the last 40 years.
When something needs to be done they
handle it quickly with no issues. A friend
has an identical Lariat with nothing but
problems with the dealership he goes to.
Sorry to ramble.

Last edited:

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Another happy customer here. My XLT Short Range isn't perfect (what is?), but it's been awfully good so far, and I'm happy to have bought it. Short range is viable here in California, especially if you can get the dealer to throw in a NACS (Tesla style) adapter. Long range will probably be worth the extra dough if you do enough long trips or towing, though.

Would have liked to buy from a dealer in OP's town, but they threw in lots of B$ stuff like "protective treatments" and jacked up the price, so went elsewhere and saved a couple thousand more.

Sorry to break it to you, Steven, but you're apparently quite sane.

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Thanks for all the positive real world stories everyone. Makes me think I'm not totally crazy for liking and considering one of these trucks!
I was looking at purchasing the Maverick Hybrid myself last year!
I chose the Lightning for many reasons:
First off I was coming from an Expedition EL so I was used to driving a large vehicle however I wanted something that was more fuel efficient because I averaged about 17MPG!

Reasons why I chose the Lightning over the Maverick:

I got a hell of a deal on the Lariat ER- March when they were running huge discounts on the 23’s! I would have had to order the Maverick with the features I wanted!

A full-size truck.

I am saving about $3500 to $4000 per year by using electricity instead of fuel!-charging at home!

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I love my Lariat ER. It's currently getting recall work done, dealer gave me a 2021 ICE Lariat as a loaner. Can't believe how much I miss my Lightning and its only been one day.

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
Best vehicle I've ever owned and I could not be happier.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Many people bought F150 Lightning were either new to EV's or new to trucks, or both.

So you need to prequalify if an EV is right for you and if a Truck is right for you.

EV: Can you charge at home? If Yes, then an EV is an awesome choice. If not, then not so much.
EV: Do you take a lot of long road trips? If Yes, an EV might not be the right choice. Depends on how much of a hurry you are.
EV: Do you tow a lot for long distances? If yes, then an EV may not be the right choice. If only short distances, EV's are great for this.

Truck: Do you like driving a very large vehicle? Does your like of having a super large vehicle overcome the cons of having a large vehicle?
Truck: Will it fit where you plan to park it?
Truck: Do you have need of a truck? Will you use it?

Note the F150 is more what I would call A "Family Truckster". With the Super Crew Cab, the 2nd row can haul 3 kids, including in car seats. And all their stuff to school, sports, etc. So it can function a lot like a mini van, but with more door dings to adjacent cars.

The F150 Lightning version shares all these same advantages with the F150 ICE version.

F150 Lightning stock is not the pinnacle for off-road, but it is all-wheel drive with 8" of clearnce. It will get you down a dirt road to your cabin. It will navigate urban streets and highways when its snowing, no problem.

Its only a 1/2 ton truck. If you plan to replace a 1 ton that you use to haul 18,000 lb trailers with, its not the right truck.

Personally, for what I use it for, its the best light truck I have ever owned. I have quickly learned its actually a really good EV as well.

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
Our 2022 XLT is like driving a limousine with all the space and riding comforts. Great not making local air pollution and no worry about short trips slowly wearing out an engine with cold starts.
Downsides are travel time due to charging time or charger availability (especially during any holiday), towing long distance, electrical costs for DCFC travel charging or home electrical prices in California (unless you can be off-grid).
Another worry is repair times at dealers if a battery module needs to be replaced...averages 30 days. Dealers are often busy with a lot of Ford warranty work and often limited in technical staff. @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

Last edited: