• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is your PAAK reliable?

Is your PAAK reliable?

• Yes - I rely on it daily and don't carry a fob

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • Yes - I rely on it daily but carry my fob as a backup

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Yes - reliable, but it has failed once or twice and I used the door code or app or fob as a backup

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • No - I use it, but often have to resort to the door code, app or fob as a backup

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • No - I tried using it and it has left me stranded I don't trust it or use it anymore

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • My opinion doesn't count as my truck doesn't have PAAK

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • My truck doesn't have PAAK but I would add it if I could

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
One thing to keep in mind is you cannot swipe away the app. At least on iPhone. iOS interprets this as a user indicating they don't want certain background processing to occur. So this gesture can interfere with the BLE connection required for PaaK to work. In the last year, FordPass has gotten better to communicate to the user how to get back into a healthy state.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you don't carry a fob make sure you hide the key blade somewhere, so you can access your spare tire if you need it.
The spare tire lock was deprecated starting in MY23.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, so MY22's still need to bring it.
And you should have gotten an extra key blade with the truck. There was one in my 23 even though I don’t have the spare tire lock.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In my 2022, it also fits the glove box, console, locking fold-flat storage, and I think there's a lock on one side of the rear seats, where the jack is.
Correct.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I’ve had my 2023 Lariat for a year and have never carried a key and never had a problem. When my phone battery died once, I used the passcode to start my truck and in a few minutes my phone was charging again in my truck.
I keep my fob with me just in case the 12v battery dies (it's happened to me already) and I need the physical key to open the door, to manually open the frunk, to grab my jump box to jump start the Lightning. I hate that it's so bulky, but until I figure how to hide a key on the truck somehow, I will lug the fob around with me.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
... and I think there's a lock on one side of the rear seats, where the jack is.
There's a lock on both sides. It's part of the "Partitioned lockable fold-flat storage" that our 22 ER's got. That the lockable part. Wouldn't be very safe if one could just lift the rear seat!

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I keep my fob with me just in case the 12v battery dies (it's happened to me already) and I need the physical key to open the door, to manually open the frunk, to grab my jump box to jump start the Lightning. I hate that it's so bulky, but until I figure how to hide a key on the truck somehow, I will lug the fob around with me.
I picked up a nail in a tire and pulled into Les Schwab to have it patched. Didn't think anything of it until the guy asked for my key and I had to hand him my phone.

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Based on the responsiveness of the FordPass app, I just don't trust PAAK.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I picked up a nail in a tire and pulled into Les Schwab to have it patched. Didn't think anything of it until the guy asked for my key and I had to hand him my phone.

Wow, that just reminded me... I need the key to also lower my spare tire, if I needed to change the tire! :unsure:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Wow, that just reminded me... I need the key to also lower my spare tire, if I needed to change the tire! :unsure:
If you have a spare tire lock... My '23 Lariat just has an open hole behind the plastic cap so no key needed to lower my spare.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I use PaaK exclusively.
But I’m obsessive when it comes to keys.

I have multiple backup plans
1- use door keypad to enter and passcode to drive the truck
2- Use door keypad to enter and use spare programmed fob locked/stored in faraday bog in center console vault safe
3- I also have a spare emergency key hidden in a magnetic box if the keypad doesn’t work.
4- my Apple Watch can unlock my trucks with FordPass in a pinch.

Farady bag https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B12Q53BL/
Magnetic key holder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CR3ZFT99/
Console Vault Safe. https://www.consolevault.com/
Emergency key blade https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/ford-key-blade-164-r8168.html

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
If you have a spare tire lock... My '23 Lariat just has an open hole behind the plastic cap so no key needed to lower my spare.

My Lightning came that way also. I went to my dealer and showed him that the spare tire lock was in the description of items that came with the truck. They fought me at first and after some bickering back and forth, they ordered me one and keyed it alike with the key to my truck. They installed it, and all we free of charge. :cool:
Sponsored