• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Official Charging Recommendations

Tommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
I have an order in production for a Lariat ER. Has anyone received any official guidance from Ford or any of their engineers regarding charging the Lightning at home? I get that routine charging should stop at 80-90% (I still haven’t heard an official number here). What is the recommended drain point…10-15%? Also….how often is it optimal to charge (for overal battery health and longevity); daily or just whenever you get to the 10-15% mark?

Like most of y’all, I’ve watched dozens(if not hundreds) of opinionated videos on the topic. However, I’d like to have some concrete, research-driven data from the ‘horse’s mouth’! Has anyone happened up on any such info, and if so, could you point me in the right direction? Links would be great if you have that!
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
OP
OP
Tommy

Tommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Not official, but we do have a battery expert that has been testing L-ion cells for 12 years and has his personnel recommendations including what he does for his vehicle. ;)

But official is 90% for daily use.

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
50,000 miles on my MME. Charge L2. nightly at 240V 5-6 days a week for 2 years to 80% and HVB now at 94%. The mobile charger went ☠after 40K miles. Wife drives it now and it hardly gets used and thus charges at 120v once a week. The LT is on a Charge Point Home Flex and it gets charged 5 days a week 240 V and typically is 40 KWh per nightly charge. During winter that will go up to 50-60 KWh I’d estimate. We’ve a fair amount low 30‘s weather Dec-Feb. The Flex Charge rate is about 9 KWh.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I have an order in production for a Lariat ER. Has anyone received any official guidance from Ford or any of their engineers regarding charging the Lightning at home? I get that routine charging should stop at 80-90% (I still haven’t heard an official number here). What is the recommended drain point…10-15%? Also….how often is it optimal to charge (for overal battery health and longevity); daily or just whenever you get to the 10-15% mark?

Like most of y’all, I’ve watched dozens(if not hundreds) of opinionated videos on the topic. However, I’d like to have some concrete, research-driven data from the ‘horse’s mouth’! Has anyone happened up on any such info, and if so, could you point me in the right direction? Links would be great if you have that!
I put this together a while back.

F150 LIGHTNING CHARGING CHEAT SHEET

Got charging questions and want a single OFFICIAL source for answers? Here ya go. The following guidelines were taken *directly* from the owners manual, the F150 lightning FAQ from Ford's website, and official Ford press releases.

This is NOT the place for stories, anecdotes, YouTube videos, personal experiences, "Well my buddy Jimbo gets blah blah blah" etc. Post that elsewhere. This is what Ford says. Hopefully this can cut down on a lot of the misinformation that's being spread around.

#F150 CHARGING CHEAT SHEET

1. AC home charging is the preferred method of charging.

2. Ford recommends 90% for everyday driving and 100% for travel. Charging to 90% daily helps prolong the life of your battery.

3. Ford recommends ending DC Fast charging at 80% while traveling.

4. CHARGING RATES-
150kW+ DC fast charger, the SR 98kWh pack can charge from 15-80% in about 36 minutes. (260mph). The ER 131kWh pack can charge from 15-80% in 41 minutes. (305mph). 120V home charging cable = (2mph). 240V home charging cable = (13mph). 80A Ford Pro 15-80% in 8 hours (26mph).

5. Keep your F-150 Lightning plugged in when parked. Keep it garaged if possible.

6. ALWAYS push the center padlock button on the light ring before removing the charging cable from the vehicle charge port when DC fast charging. Not necessary with AC charging.

7. If setting a departure time, do it while plugged in. By using energy from the cable while plugged in, battery temperature can be managed for best driving performance and less energy is needed for heating or cooling of the cabin at the start of your drive. This helps maximize your driving range.

8. Most Electrify America DC fast chargers can deliver up to 350kW of power, but your Ford will only accept up to 120kW (SR) or 155kW (ER).

9. If charging in cold weather, shutting off climate control or reducing climate control temperature and fan settings for the first 10 to 15 minutes of DC fast charging will allow the battery to warm up and improve the charging speed dramatically.

10. If equipped, use the heated seats and steering wheel as primary heat to reduce energy consumed by HVAC. Air conditioner uses relatively little energy, but the cabin heater is a large drain on the battery. It is far more efficient for passengers to use heated seats.

11. Allowing your battery to cool 2-3 hours before charging after driving improves maximum longevity of your high voltage battery, but is not required.

12. When you park your vehicle for an extended period of 30 days or more, we recommend your battery be at an approximately 50% state of charge. Storing your vehicle's high voltage battery at higher states of charge is less favorable than storing at lower states of charge. Note: To achieve this state of charge for storage, you can drive your vehicle down to 50% and set a charge limit for your location.

(I read this as keep it plugged in but set the charge limit for 50%)

Once achieved, disconnect the 12-volt (12V) battery to reduce system loads on the HV battery. Note: Before disconnecting, be sure to have your key fob and access to a copy of your Owner's Manual outside of the vehicle.

Bottom line, these vehicles are tough as nails so just drive it and have fun, but if you have specific questions or want to do the right thing at all times, hopefully this guideline helps you.

EDIT: updated info on 240v charger
updated unlock/disconnect button for AC/DC

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I really wish I could show the graphs that I produce weekly that show capacity fade, power fade, and resistance rise based on factors such as storage levels, temperatures, charge/discharge levels, and delta SOC. Needless to say I base my charging levels (and the wife's Kia EV6 levels) on what I have observed over the years.

We are testing the Mach E cells now, and I plan on starting the Lighting cells in about 4 weeks. Two different manufactures of the cells, so one will not carry over to the other, but make sure your Mach E is not experiencing calendar life around 55C (131F) :sneaky:

For the first time, another cell we are testing right now has failed at calendar life (stored at a specific SOC at temperature for 4 weeks until another Reference Performance Test or RPT) at 55C (all three storage SOC) to the point the cells have to be disposed of in a safe manner and testing at that temperature has stopped.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
6. ALWAYS push the center padlock button on the light ring before removing the charging cable from the vehicle charge port when DC fast charging. Not necessary with AC charging.
Did not know this one. Thanks.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I put this together a while back.

F150 LIGHTNING CHARGING CHEAT SHEET

Got charging questions and want a single OFFICIAL source for answers? Here ya go. The following guidelines were taken *directly* from the owners manual, the F150 lightning FAQ from Ford's website, and official Ford press releases.

This is NOT the place for stories, anecdotes, YouTube videos, personal experiences, "Well my buddy Jimbo gets blah blah blah" etc. Post that elsewhere. This is what Ford says. Hopefully this can cut down on a lot of the misinformation that's being spread around.

#F150 CHARGING CHEAT SHEET

1. AC home charging is the preferred method of charging.

2. Ford recommends 90% for everyday driving and 100% for travel. Charging to 90% daily helps prolong the life of your battery.

3. Ford recommends ending DC Fast charging at 80% while traveling.

4. CHARGING RATES-
150kW+ DC fast charger, the SR 98kWh pack can charge from 15-80% in about 36 minutes. (260mph). The ER 131kWh pack can charge from 15-80% in 41 minutes. (305mph). 120V home charging cable = (2mph). 240V home charging cable = (13mph). 80A Ford Pro 15-80% in 8 hours (26mph).

5. Keep your F-150 Lightning plugged in when parked. Keep it garaged if possible.

7. If setting a departure time, do it while plugged in. By using energy from the cable while plugged in, battery temperature can be managed for best driving performance and less energy is needed for heating or cooling of the cabin at the start of your drive. This helps maximize your driving range.

8. Most Electrify America DC fast chargers can deliver up to 350kW of power, but your Ford will only accept up to 120kW (SR) or 155kW (ER).

9. If charging in cold weather, shutting off climate control or reducing climate control temperature and fan settings for the first 10 to 15 minutes of DC fast charging will allow the battery to warm up and improve the charging speed dramatically.

10. If equipped, use the heated seats and steering wheel as primary heat to reduce energy consumed by HVAC. Air conditioner uses relatively little energy, but the cabin heater is a large drain on the battery. It is far more efficient for passengers to use heated seats.

11. Allowing your battery to cool 2-3 hours before charging after driving improves maximum longevity of your high voltage battery, but is not required.

12. When you park your vehicle for an extended period of 30 days or more, we recommend your battery be at an approximately 50% state of charge. Storing your vehicle's high voltage battery at higher states of charge is less favorable than storing at lower states of charge. Note: To achieve this state of charge for storage, you can drive your vehicle down to 50% and set a charge limit for your location.

(I read this as keep it plugged in but set the charge limit for 50%)

Once achieved, disconnect the 12-volt (12V) battery to reduce system loads on the HV battery. Note: Before disconnecting, be sure to have your key fob and access to a copy of your Owner's Manual outside of the vehicle.

Bottom line, these vehicles are tough as nails so just drive it and have fun, but if you have specific questions or want to do the right thing at all times, hopefully this guideline helps you.

EDIT: updated info on 240v charger
updated unlock/disconnect button for AC/DC
You indicate 90% for Level 1 and 2 charging. What about limiting the charging to 80%?

Also, how can we get a battery health number? My dealer tells me everything is gOOS, but I’d like a number ala Apple iPhone.

Sponsored

loveurdj

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Manager
Not official, but we do have a battery expert that has been testing L-ion cells for 12 years and has his personnel recommendations including what he does for his vehicle. ;)

But official is 90% for daily use.
Where would look to see that recommendation?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Well, as far as official there is always the manual. YouTube videos are the last place I would ever look for actual, factual, information.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Also, how can we get a battery health number? My dealer tells me everything is gOOS, but I’d like a number ala Apple iPhone.
From OBD II port with a scanners. Mine was down to 98% after 5K of babying the battery. Others have been at 100% after 10K with normal use.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Use Car Scanner app and an OBD scan tool. See this post for more info. The metric you’re looking for is HVBSOH (not SOC). I don’t think we know if this is the same metric that Ford uses on the warranty. They clearly have module level data and I don’t think we regular folk can see that.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
You indicate 90% for Level 1 and 2 charging. What about limiting the charging to 80%?

The Ford lightning has such a large buffer that all official documentation recommends 90% (with such a large buffer it is in actuality 80%) but 90% according to Ford maximizes life of the battery and mileage simultaneously
Sponsored