• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
Not to be a dick but I started crying at the thought of someone throwing their passengers around in 1PD lmao

1PD obviously takes more skill, but just like driving a manual once you get it down it gives you better control of the vehicle, and imo it's more fun to drive.

I have approx 10K miles, and the only time I've had a regenerative breaking under 50% is when some jackass pulled into my lane from a dead stop. Otherwise it's not uncommon if I go a day or two without using the brakes.

If you can feather the brake properly I find you can split the difference between throttle and regen so you're still able to "coast". At this point the only reason I'd need to change brake pads is because of the elements which is a big reason I bought the truck.
Sponsored

farmtruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F350XLT, 2 x 12 F250XLT, 23 Lightning Lariet ER
Occupation
Farmer
What?? No 3 pedal option? Guess I'm gonna have to give up my manuals.
Zero learning curve for me. I drive Manuals, autos, powershifts, CVTs, hydros, and crashboxes. No learning curve here because they all drive differently. The CVTs probably pretrained me to use 1 pedal mode because they don't have a dedicated gas pedal. They have a Go lever/pedal that controls both the engine and transmission.

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I've read nearly every post on this topic and I've yet to be persuaded that there's any significant benefit to the vehicle (battery, brakes, etc) to using 1PD over 2PD. But It does seem like there's a general feeling that since 1PD is available, it's somehow better and that one should try to adapt to using it (and if you don't, you're not doing it right). That's not a feeling I share.

If you enjoy 1PD, great. I get it. :rockon: (I drove a Mach-E for two years almost exclusively using 1PD)

But on the Lightning, I prefer 2PD. It just suits my truck driving style better and I'm not concerned about missing out on any 1PD benefits to the vehicle (either actual or perceived).
I have tried twice to get into 1PD and have bailed on it both times. The first time after two days, when backing into my driveway the truck did not come to a stop like I was expecting after letting off the go pedal and I was a millimeter from hitting my brand new travel trailer...
Next time I went the whole week until my wife complained the ride was too jerky, then in a drive thru it rolled forward unexpectedly...
Back to 2PD in Sport mode..perfect IMO.
My wife has a Mini Cooper SE (electric) and in high regen mode, the 1PD is awesome, and took her very little time to adjust. I really like it in there too. Oh well, different modes for different drivers is great.
Love having the Lightning to myself too!

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Carpenter
I haven't tried one pedal driving yet, and probably won't for awhile. I drive my gas powered van to/from work every day, and don't think I could get used to it in the Lightning, then revert back to both pedals in the van.

MotoGary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
At this point the only reason I'd need to change brake pads is because of the elements which is a big reason I bought the truck.
Wait...Are you're really saying that a big reason you bought a Lightning was that you wouldn't need to change brake pads very often because of 1PD? Putting low brake maintenance that high on the priority list when making a vehicle purchasing decision is way more, well....let's say "forward-thinking" than I've every been when buying a car. But I rarely keep vehicles long enough anymore to change the brake pads.

The exception was my wife's 2004 Yukon XL back when we had kids at home. She drove that big beast like a Ferrari when she was a "soccer mom" shuttling kids all over town everyday! :facepalm: Seems like it needed brake service about every 10K miles the way she drove it! (And she drove it almost 250,000 miles over 15 years) So yeah, a lot of money spent on brakes on that one over the years. I suppose I've been under-appreciating the importance of a vehicle with low brake pad maintenance :)

Sponsored

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
Wait...Are you're really saying that a big reason you bought a Lightning was that you wouldn't need to change brake pads very often because of 1PD? Putting low brake maintenance that high on the priority list when making a vehicle purchasing decision is way more, well....let's say "forward-thinking" than I've every been when buying a car. But I rarely keep vehicles long enough anymore to change the brake pads.

The exception was my wife's 2004 Yukon XL back when we had kids at home. She drove that big beast like a Ferrari when she was a "soccer mom" shuttling kids all over town everyday! :facepalm: Seems like it needed brake service about every 10K miles the way she drove it! (And she drove it almost 250,000 miles over 15 years) So yeah, a lot of money spent on brakes on that one over the years. I suppose I've been under-appreciating the importance of a vehicle with low brake pad maintenance :)
A big reason was reduced operating costs which include oil changes, brake pads, and fuel savings. I started using 1PD because of that reason, but it's grown on me.

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Having previously driven sedan style EV's for more then 8 years I was trained to drive with one pedal to improve my regenerative braking. In those early years of EV driving we did'nt get the range that's available today. So when I got the truck I drove with one pedal mode and I found that I actually was better off driving in the traditional mode. I seldom have flat terrain and drive from the mountains to the sea and with the trucks weight and shape one pedal generally decreases my range. I know it's just an observation but others who have the same drives might have similar results.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Note that in the Fords, unlink many other EV's, you get regen braking from the brake pedal up to the point where it has to kick in the friction brakes. As long as you don't brake harder than regen can provide, you are getting all the benefits of regen.

On a Tesla and many other EVs, every time you touch the brake pedal, you are getting friction braking. You HAVE to use 1 pedal driving to get any regen.

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
I had trouble getting used to 1 PD and went back to 2 PD for a few months. Part of my problem is that I also drive ICE.
However, for the past several months, I've adapted well to 1 PD and drive it exclusively in Sport Mode. That said, I still find myself expecting strong engine breaking from my ICE vehicle. But it doesn't take me long to readapt.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
A big reason was reduced operating costs which include oil changes, brake pads, and fuel savings. I started using 1PD because of that reason, but it's grown on me.
Just know that there is no difference here between 2pd and 1pd. Both use regen to slow the truck up until the brakes are applied hard enough to engage the friction brakes.

Sponsored

First Name
iBot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Operator
I’m new to EVs but I’ve been driving f150s since a teenager . We rented teslas during vacations recently to get used to one pedal mode. I personally love it and I only have an issue when I jump into one of my super duty work trucks and have to forget my newly learned muscle memory .

So I’m wondering , what mode are you driving in and why ?
I use one pedal every so often but I run in sport mode most of the time

First Name
iBot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Operator
Sport mode and 1PD can be active at the same time.
Yeah I know. Truck is pretty jerky when you do that. I don't like to run cruise control on hilly back roads in sport mode because it's jerky as well.

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I don't see a reason for using 1PD all the time, certain situations like going down a mountain maybe, but it's less efficient than coasting and reinforces some bad habits (like not always being ready to brake at any time)

At first I was slightly annoyed there was slight regen in sport mode even when 1PD is off, but I kinda like it now. It's nice easily slowing down a tiny bit for better control of the car.
Sponsored