• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning!

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Just giving everyone that uses this feature. Don't rely on it!

TLDR; When attempting to use this feature yesterday the Prompt box popped up on the screen to input the password... Unfortunately the Keyboard did not ever appear making it quite difficult to enter said password! Thus was temporarily stranded.

Background: I use my PAAK (Phone as a Key) 99% of the time. Mostly because the comically large size of the Key Fob. PAAK generally works well for me, although it can be very sluggish for use passive entry to recognize and work.

I have at times used the Backup Start Passcode and it has seemingly always worked. That said I have never purposely relied on it.

Yesterday me and my daughter who recently started cross country running for school were driving to a recreational trail about a mile from our house to do a quick training run for her. I dont trust leaving a key or phone in truck (I should get a faraday bag) so did not want to take my phone, and figured I'd be good to just use the Backup Start Passcode. It did work to leave home as it always had previously. After our run, I entered my Door Key Securicodeto enter, we were able to get into the vehicle , however when I attempted to use the Backup Start Passcode the Prompt box popped up on the screen to input the password. Unfortunately the Keyboard did not ever appear making it quite difficult to enter said password!
Thus was temporarily stranded.

Luckily I was able to get the AC on by using my Apple Watch. After spending about 5 minutes trying everything I could do, I called my wife and asked her to drive me a key. So she loaded up the other 2 kids and did just that. Luckily we weren't further from home, but it was still a very annoying inconvenience. Additionally after remote starting the AC, and then when still attempting to get the Backup start code keyboard to appear I triggered the security alarm by opening the drivers door from inside, and could not get that to shutoff. 🙄 @Ford Motor Company I'm sure you know this already, but your software game is leaving a lot to be desired!

For reference, I did get the most recent 6.14 update, so have the newest user interface.

Side note: It sure would be nice to have all PAAK functionality with a Cellular enabled smartwatch.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
But PaaK always works... :crackup:

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But PaaK always works... :crackup:
PAAK hasn't personally failed me. The Backup Start Passcode feature did which I don’t really understand Ford ssociates it with PAAK.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PAAK hasn't personally failed me. The Backup Start Passcode feature did which I don’t really understand Ford ssociates it with PAAK.
Phone is dead. Use backup code.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Key fob is dead? Key fob falls in lake? Etc.

S*** happens with both phones and key fobs.
Prior to PaaK, backup passcodes did not exist. You cannot setup the backup passcode if you don't setup PaaK.

Keyfob dead? Stick it in the backup slot...

Ford F-150 Lightning PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning! 1000004174

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior to PaaK, backup passcodes did not exist. You cannot setup the backup passcode if you don't setup PaaK.

Keyfob dead? Stick it in the backup slot...

1000004174.jpg
Cool so why not make it available to everybody regardless of PAAK? hard to put the fob in the back up slot if it’s in the bottom of the lake.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That said at the size of that honking thing it would probably raise the damn water level of the lake!

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I used my backup code today while waiting in my iPhone to do an iOS update.

I did notice that it take a couple of push to start attempts to get the input keyboard to load. First time since getting 6.14 last week. 🤔

It may only happen the first time after update. Took the big screen longer than normal to load.

I may try it again tomorrow and see if it’s still acting up.

EDIT: Update.
I used the Passcode again today and it did indeed come up much more quickly as it had prior to the last update (6.14).

I think it’s back to normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I mean it’s ~2x volume and a clumsier shape than my Nissans have been which have never ever bothered me.

Ford F-150 Lightning PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning! IMG_4813

Ford F-150 Lightning PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning! IMG_4814

Ford F-150 Lightning PAAK: Backup Start Passcode FAIL! Warning! IMG_4812

Sponsored

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I had this happen. I closed and locked the doors, used door code to get in and started it. Then the keyboard popped up.

Not sure if it’s a 2 step process where the door code must be used but it worked fine for me once I did.

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended
Occupation
IT
Not to be captain obvious but you do have to tap the password input box to get the keyboard to pop up.

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
I had this happen. I closed and locked the doors, used door code to get in and started it. Then the keyboard popped up.

Not sure if it’s a 2 step process where the door code must be used but it worked fine for me once I did.
Same for me. I’ve tried a similar, let’s start over again approach and it’s worked. But I’m still on 6.8.0.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not to be captain obvious but you do have to tap the password input box to get the keyboard to pop up.
almost wore out my finger trying that.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Did you try the button combo to restart the infotainment system while it was acting up?

Go Pack Go.
Sponsored