• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
So basically you are saying that you fit into the one use case that I said counted, that you plan to spend money on bidirectional charging.
If that is the case, this is the only charger you can use. Doesn't matter if it's any good, it's the only one out there.
And if you look at my posts I did consistently say that if you were planning on doing the bidirectional charging, this charger does make sense for you. I just believe that there is no other use case where it does.
Yes, like I said, you made good points about it.

Another one occurred to me - the cost is zero for some because Ford was giving them to owners free, which is why there are always some for sale on eBay I suppose.

So far I have no complaints about the charging with it.

The connecting with it via the app is a bit touch and go - I hope I can get that settled down before the home integration, because I assume it is needed to get that to work. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I just read that "Enphase is in the process of making a bidirectional ev charging station. It is standards compliant so will work with any V2X capable vehicle...."

"We are working with EV manufacturers and power utilities to bring this revolutionary technology to market starting in 2025. If you would like to partner with Enphase, contact us for a technical demonstration."

Their web site has a white paper about it:

"The Enphase Bidirectional EV Charger enables vehicle-to-home
(V2H) and vehicle-to-grid (V2G) functionality. This product
will leverage the power of grid-forming IQ8™ Microinverters
and Ensemble™ energy management technology to seamlessly
integrate into Enphase® home energy systems, and will enable
homeowners to manage their solar, battery storage, and EV
(electric vehicle) charging all from a single app. In addition,
Enphase’s Bidirectional EV Charger will be simple to install and
will work with most EVs that support bidirectional charging...."

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 enphase bidirectional charging white paper block dia

EDIT 2:
Wallbox also has one in the pipeline:

"Quasar 2 transforms your electric vehicle into an ultra-powerful energy storage system that can power your home with cheaper, cleaner energy for up to three days. Our intelligent software and easy app experience mean you can access your energy on demand–whether for fast smart charging or energy efficient living.... "

https://wallbox.com/en_catalog/quasar-2-bidirectional-ev-charger

EDIT 3: Seems somewhat dated (March 2024) but...

"At present, the Wallbox Quasar, Highbury, and Fermata FE-15 are the only universal bidirectional chargers for home use (level 2); these are all of the DC variety and work with CHAdeMO (DC), while the recently announced Wallbox Quasar 2 works with the more common CCS (DC) vehicle charge port. The soon-to-be-released Ford F-150 Lightning EV is unique because it only works with the Ford Charge Station Pro and requires additional equipment to enable bidirectional charging. In early 2023, Tesla's senior vice president hinted at integrating bidirectional charging in their upcoming vehicles, potentially by 2025. However, there's no official confirmation yet on whether Tesla will adopt V2G, V2H, or V2L technology, despite growing interest. Current Tesla vehicles do not appear capable of bidirectional charging based on the detailed electrical analysis conducted by Ingineerix. "

https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/bidirectional-ev-chargers-review

Maybe @Ford Motor Company will make a deal with one or more of these bidirectional charger makers so they will work with the Lightning.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You disassembled the cable head???

1720462631200-97.png
Oh damn, my bad, no not the handle I thought the discussion was about the removing the cover plate for the FCSP, I should have reviewed the whole thread before I posted.

I'll atone by seeing which one of my Torx fits it...
The smallest I have is a T 5 and it is too big.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Yes, like I said, you made good points about it.

Another one occurred to me - the cost is zero for some because Ford was giving them to owners free, which is why there are always some for sale on eBay I suppose.

So far I have no complaints about the charging with it.

The connecting with it via the app is a bit touch and go - I hope I can get that settled down before the home integration, because I assume it is needed to get that to work. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I just read that "Enphase is in the process of making a bidirectional ev charging station. It is standards compliant so will work with any V2X capable vehicle...."

"We are working with EV manufacturers and power utilities to bring this revolutionary technology to market starting in 2025. If you would like to partner with Enphase, contact us for a technical demonstration."

Their web site has a white paper about it:

"The Enphase Bidirectional EV Charger enables vehicle-to-home
(V2H) and vehicle-to-grid (V2G) functionality. This product
will leverage the power of grid-forming IQ8™ Microinverters
and Ensemble™ energy management technology to seamlessly
integrate into Enphase® home energy systems, and will enable
homeowners to manage their solar, battery storage, and EV
(electric vehicle) charging all from a single app. In addition,
Enphase’s Bidirectional EV Charger will be simple to install and
will work with most EVs that support bidirectional charging...."

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

enphase bidirectional charging white paper block diag.jpg

EDIT 2:
Wallbox also has one in the pipeline:

"Quasar 2 transforms your electric vehicle into an ultra-powerful energy storage system that can power your home with cheaper, cleaner energy for up to three days. Our intelligent software and easy app experience mean you can access your energy on demand–whether for fast smart charging or energy efficient living.... "

https://wallbox.com/en_catalog/quasar-2-bidirectional-ev-charger

EDIT 3: Seems somewhat dated (March 2024) but...

"At present, the Wallbox Quasar, Highbury, and Fermata FE-15 are the only universal bidirectional chargers for home use (level 2); these are all of the DC variety and work with CHAdeMO (DC), while the recently announced Wallbox Quasar 2 works with the more common CCS (DC) vehicle charge port. The soon-to-be-released Ford F-150 Lightning EV is unique because it only works with the Ford Charge Station Pro and requires additional equipment to enable bidirectional charging. In early 2023, Tesla's senior vice president hinted at integrating bidirectional charging in their upcoming vehicles, potentially by 2025. However, there's no official confirmation yet on whether Tesla will adopt V2G, V2H, or V2L technology, despite growing interest. Current Tesla vehicles do not appear capable of bidirectional charging based on the detailed electrical analysis conducted by Ingineerix. "

https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/bidirectional-ev-chargers-review

Maybe @Ford Motor Company will make a deal with one or more of these bidirectional charger makers so they will work with the Lightning.
It is available with the cyber truck they call it PowerShare, but I am not sure it is enabled yet and you have to have the powerwall 3? (I think) So I am hoping that in the future, this will allow us to use It as well, although I may have to change out the FCSP with the Tesla universal adapter?? I am currently installing solar with the power wall three so fingers crossed.🫰🏻
https://www.tesla.com/powershare

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 IMG_0891

Reactions: chl

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Oh damn, my bad, no not the handle I thought the discussion was about the removing the cover plate for the FCSP, I should have reviewed the whole thread before I posted.

I'll atone by seeing which one of my Torx fits it...
The smallest I have is a T 5 and it is too big.
Also the cover has 6 point while the handle is 5-point security style

Reactions: chl

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also the cover has 6 point while the handle is 5-point security style
What fun trying to get it open!
My eyes are not sharp enough any more to see the detail of that screw.

Unless he is going to use the Home Integration, he could take this opportunity to just swap the FCSP CCS1 cable for an 80A J1772 cable (assuming he's wired to charge at 80A ).

I though about doing that, everyone seems to be sold out of the 80A J1772 though, and some day I hope to integrate through the FCSP.

Maybe less hassle to replace the cord with a J1772 than replacing the FCSP with another brand (Tesla with a J1772 adapter for example) or trying to get the plug open?

Just 5 wires to cope with in the J1772 cord.
Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 Ford CSP insides 4

Sponsored

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I'm waiting with bated breath....has OP taken a sawzall to his charge station and rendered it even more inoperable? Seems like the most reasonable solution to his problem.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm waiting with bated breath....has OP taken a sawzall to his charge station and rendered it even more inoperable? Seems like the most reasonable solution to his problem.
Looking forward to Siemens solution to this catch-22

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The more I learn about the ford charge station pro, the happier I am that it's still sealed in the original shipping box and not in use on my wall. It seems that the ONLY situation where it makes sense to use it is if you paid the extra $10k+ to also do the full home backup. Otherwise almost any other L2 charger on the market seems like a better idea.
You can get the hardware for the home integration for about $3900 from aeesolar.com and have someone else (or DIY) install it for less than that $6k:

Ford F-150® Lightning™ customers can choose any installation provider of their choice. The Home Integration System and Ford Charge Station Pro hardware are required to enable Home Backup Power. The Home Integration System hardware is available for purchase without Sunrun installation through our vendor AEE at his.aeesolar.com, and the Charge Station Pro hardware is similarly available through Ford, here. Both systems should be installed by a licensed electrician.

https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning
-----

Please note that you are only purchasing the hardware from this site and there is only a 30 day return window. This product requires professional installation by a licensed electrician. It is recommended to select an electrician and order the equipment as close to the installation date as possible.
Please visit
Sunrun after your truck is scheduled for production if you would like to purchase the hardware with installation.

Also note that this page is for Customers only. If you are a Professional Installer
click here to be directed to the Ford Professional page to complete your purchase.

030-09844-ITC26 = 4kW On-Grid, 9.6kW Backup Inverter Capability
030-09845-ITC26 = 6kW On-Grid, 9.6kW Backup Inverter Capability
030-09846-ITC26 = 8kW On-Grid, 9.6kW Backup Inverter Capability
030-09847-ITC26 = 10kW On-Grid, 9.6kW Backup Inverter Capability

(All versions come with a Bidirectional Inverter, Microgrid Integration Device, and Dark Start Battery)

Only consider an inverter larger than 4kW if it is being integrated into a solar electric system. Sizing above 4kW will increase the likelihood of additional electrical upgrades from the utility, which could incur additional cost and time. Consult with your solar provider to determine which inverter your system requires.

If you are a Ford customer, click the "Register" button above and create your account and place your order.

What is On-Grid Inverter Capability?
On-Grid means the Utility Grid is still functioning and you are NOT in backup mode. This capability is only available for solar and stationary battery storage.
The Home Integration System is a required component for Ford Home Backup Power. When paired with the Ford Charge Station Pro, the Home Integration System will allow energy to flow from your Ford F-150 Lightning to your home. This enables your truck to power your home in the event of an outage.

The Home Integration System will arrive in 3 packages.
  1. Bidirectional Inverter (4, 6, 8, or 10kW)
  2. Microgrid Integration Device
  3. Dark Start Battery
-----
So it looks like you'd also need to have, besides the FCSP, an AC disconnect, a back-up sub-panel, a feeder breaker and some wire/conduit to run from the sub-panel to the main panel.

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 Integration System CSP-SunRun wirin

Maybe another $500 or so in parts for the above.

Then the rest is labor.

Is Qmerit now handling the HIS installs? I think I heard that somewhere, that Sunrun was out now.

OP
OP

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I finally got through to Siemens customer support at the number listed above. They promptly referred me to their Emobility support group - which is 855-950-6339. That group is only open Monday through Friday, from 6:00 AM until 8:00 PM Easter Time.
Just got off the phone with Siemens and need to send them some pictures. They are then going to reach out to FMCO. We will see what happens.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I wish you good luck, but waiting and not being able to charge would inspire me to solve it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 20240710_110550

This is the slot you jammed the handle on, it is a solid plastic lip, it could be cut and not hurt the weather integrity.

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 20240710_110726

If you didn't know the white cover is easly pulled off, on each side are thesen cut outs for you to pull from

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 20240710_110756

Once it is off you have access to the screws to open the charger up.

I'd turn off the breaker, remove the cover and try twisting the handle to get some space for the clip to disengage. If that doesn't work, see if you can get a long thin flat screw driver between the latch on the handle and the plastic tab it engages and push the latch up. Finally you could drill a hole.from the inside at the tab location that would break it free, you would need to glue it back or at least cover the hole to keep water out.

Seems very silly to be put out this much because the handle is jammed in and the charger is easily functional even if you can clip in the future.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
If it were mine, I would first turn off the power to the charger. Then, I would try pushing gently straight down on the top of the plug where the red arrow is in the attached photo. Gently pushing down with a large blade screwdriver in the gap between the top of the plug and the latch may also help. It looks to me like the front of the plug pushed up and wedged against the face of the charger and has the lug on the tip of the latch pulled tight against the latch seat. The idea is to push back down on the plug in the reverse direction of what may have caused the jam. I would not overdo the push. I would apply just a little pressure down to determine if the plug would move down and release the pressure on the latch.

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 Handle

OP
OP

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
If it were mine, I would first turn off the power to the charger. Then, I would try pushing gently straight down on the top of the plug where the red arrow is in the attached photo. Gently pushing down with a large blade screwdriver in the gap between the top of the plug and the latch may also help. It looks to me like the front of the plug pushed up and wedged against the face of the charger and has the lug on the tip of the latch pulled tight against the latch seat. The idea is to push back down on the plug in the reverse direction of what may have caused the jam. I would not overdo the push. I would apply just a little pressure down to determine if the plug would move down and release the pressure on the latch.

Handle.jpg
Thank you. I had tried something similar to no avail, but will give your suggestion a try.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
It looks like you want to insert a trim tool or lockpicking tool in from the side and below the latch (beside the plug) to press UP on the latch so it disengages with the cover. There's open space between the holster and the latch.

Ford F-150 Lightning Plug Will NOT Disengage From FCSP FIXED POST 87 PXL_20240712_185214344

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I think the title says it all. Went to charge my truck and found that the plug is stuck in my Charge Station Pro and will not disengage. Short of turning off the circuit breaker and taking a sawzaw to the release bar, how do I get this off without damaging the charger?

My truck is well within warranty. Will Ford pay to replace the cord if it cannot be removed without destroying the plug?
Hello, I would like to take a further look into your charging plug issue. Could you please send us a message with your VIN and mileage?
Sponsored