• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

POLL: Does your spouse refuse to drive an EV?

Is your spouse anti having an EV as their primary driver?

• Total voters

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
What made you come up with this poll?

Is your spouse a troglodyte?

I think you'll find anyone here who owns an EV will have an accepting spouse. If they weren't then you'll have relationship problems.
Not at all true. My wife sees no reason to have two EV's in the family, and neither do I. We would be seriously hindered in our mobility if we did that. You should think twice before calling someone's wife a troglodyte.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Not at all true. My wife sees no reason to have two EV's in the family, and neither do I. We would be seriously hindered in our mobility if we did that. You should think twice before calling someone's wife a troglodyte.
The question isn't about having 2 ev's, its about what your spouse would drive.

I said spouse, it wasn't directed at your wife.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Truthfully, the mobility aspect does play a role, which I think I’ve mentioned on this thread.

What part of South Texas are you in? I’m planning trips to Laredo and Brownsville/SPI, but seems like fast charging options are limited south of San Antonio.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
I've had my Lightning a year - my wife didn't care much when I got it, but there was no way she was getting one. A year later, were picking up her Rivian R1T next week.

In truth, she wasn't ready for one last year. Infrastructure has come a LONG way in the areas she typically drives over that time and the tipping point was opening Superchargers - mostly for more options in areas that previously were pretty reliant on very few charging options.

She's not an early adopter, not overly techy, and her (and my) biggest concern now is the "tinker" factor that still plays in from time to time. A charger isn't functioning right, charge fault, etc, I don't mind troubleshooting. I know enough to have ideas about what might be happening when something goes wrong. She's not there (yet) and that's the one thing we talked about a lot before making this decision.

I'm excited for her. She's gonna love it.

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Truthfully, the mobility aspect does play a role, which I think I’ve mentioned on this thread.

What part of South Texas are you in? I’m planning trips to Laredo and Brownsville/SPI, but seems like fast charging options are limited south of San Antonio.
Corpus Christi. Looking forward to the adapter so I can take the truck on the road. Without Tesla stations, if I go north, it adds over an hour to any trip I've done. Three hours one time. I can't go south or west at all. I go east a lot, but not very far!

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
My spouse would drive our old Model 3 sometimes and enjoyed it as option before we sold it. Offered to buy her a LR MY but she said “No!” As she is a ICE firm believer to be able to get into a vehicle and drive 300-350 long distance and fill up when needed. Finally, you don’t see the miles drop on an ICE like you do in an EV when you are driving too fast, up hills, towing, or in headwind.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Corpus Christi. Looking forward to the adapter so I can take the truck on the road. Without Tesla stations, if I go north, it adds over an hour to any trip I've done. Three hours one time. I can't go south or west at all. I go east a lot, but not very far!
Ordered the adapter, but won’t ever use it, the three Tesla charging stations within 100 miles are Tesla only, we got the “S” on that deal by our living location.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
My spouse would drive our old Model 3 sometimes and enjoyed it as option before we sold it. Offered to buy her a LR MY but she said “No!” As she is a ICE firm believer to be able to get into a vehicle and drive 300-350 long distance and fill up when needed. Finally, you don’t see the miles drop on an ICE like you do in an EV when you are driving too fast, up hills, towing, or in headwind.
I get it. I’m heading back to Texas from Kentucky today. It’s about 14 hours with ICE. When I got my Lightning, that turned to nearly 20 hours. This is my first time trying it with the Tesla adapter, and I think that might shave off some time. However, I have to use ABRP app because Ford and Apple still route using non Tesla. Will be an interesting experience.

Last edited:

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I get it. I’m heading back to Texas from Kentucky today. It’s about 14 hours with ICE. When I got my Lightning, that turned to nearly 20 hours. This is my first time trying it with the Tesla adapter, and I think that might shave off some time. However, I have to use ABRP app because Ford and Apple still route using non Tesla. Will be an interesting experience.
Best of luck and safe travels!

Sponsored

Lightningwaiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
We are working on selling the van and getting an electric. Just working on what, she doesn’t drive much but she wants to move on.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Made the trip to El Paso this weekend, once again we where let down at the EA station in Deming. The app failed to start any of the stations. Waited on the phone for 15 minutes and customer service never picked up. I gave up, switched on plug and charge from ford pass and that finally got us charging. Unfortunately that means I paid for an EA membership and paid full rate to charge anyways. My wife commented, "it's no wonder people don't want to drive an EV."

I don't think I'm going to be convincing her anytime soon now. Why is EA so awful?

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Made the trip to El Paso this weekend, once again we where let down at the EA station in Deming. The app failed to start any of the stations. Waited on the phone for 15 minutes and customer service never picked up. I gave up, switched on plug and charge from ford pass and that finally got us charging. Unfortunately that means I paid for an EA membership and paid full rate to charge anyways. My wife commented, "it's no wonder people don't want to drive an EV."

I don't think I'm going to be convincing her anytime soon now. Why is EA so awful?
Get yourself a Tesla adapter and leave EA behind. I've been using the A2Z adapter. Tesla is $.31 kwh using the membership rate, whereas EA $.56. It's a game changer. Plenty of empty stalls, cheaper, more convenient, and didn't run into any that didn't work.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Get yourself a Tesla adapter and leave EA behind. I've been using the A2Z adapter. Tesla is $.31 kwh using the membership rate, whereas EA $.56. It's a game changer. Plenty of empty stalls, cheaper, more convenient, and didn't run into any that didn't work.
I have my free adaptor ordered, May delivery. In the past we haven't had any problem, this is the first time the app has failed me. It didn't activate anything again on the way back. I've emailed customer service about getting refunded. I hope I never have to use them again.

Oddly, the only thing that worked well was switching on and using Plug 'n Charge through the FordPass app. How sad is that, FordPass worked better than EA's app...😆

SBENKO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My wife is OK with our Lightning but she won't drive it. It is just too big for her.

She loves her Mini Cooper, and plans to get an EV Mini when an all wheel drive version is available.
Sponsored