• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
The following ancient (3-year-old) Ford YouTube video promised to announce updates to be delivered 24 hours in advance via the Sync screen and 12 hours in advance via FordPass. Whatever happened to that idea?!
This is what bothers me the most with the whole Ford software ordeal in general and listening to people defend Ford because they're not a software company. Ford sold people on their ability to roll out seamless updates and now even their CEO admits sometime last year that software is hard and they're still working out the kinks. I hate how they put the cart before the horse and still are nowhere close to having a solid software experience. This especially true in vehicles like the Lightning and Mach-e, people want them for the technology and futurism.

From Ford's own site about sync versions. +
https://www.ford.com/support/category/sync-and-technology/

Sync 2: The Benchmark (2011)
Sync 3: The Breakthrough (2016)
Sync 4: The Blueprint (2021)

They've been doing software for a long time now, they can't keep using the same excuse that they're a legacy automaker and not a software company while also advertising "simple software updates" etc. If they were transparent about their software issues, they'd sell less vehicles, so they lie and deceive.

Also, I have seen the reasoning why they're in the dilemma to begin with having separate teams working on different modules and all the integration that needs to be done to have everything work in the end. To me, it's not an excuse when they're still actively advertising how great their Sync 4 technology works.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
FWIW as someone who's worked at several "system integrator" style conglomerates, I'm really sick and tired of this being a convenient excuse / explanation. Fact of the matter is, even if you do contract out your driver assist to Aptiv and the brakes to Bosch and the infotainment to Harman, as the system integrator you still (1) define the specs so all these things work together, and (2) pay for whatever it costs to resource software update development on time.

Even in a deeply vertically integrated company, you still end up having dozens of teams (sometimes in different countries) working on the same product even if at the end of the day every part has a Tesla sticker on it.

In my professional opinion, the way OTAs are going right now at Ford more reflects an unwillingness to prioritize / pay for this as a first class feature. Whether that's in the form of actually driving suppliers with requirements that involve OTAs, scheduling OTA software development / QA to have the same priority as new factory parts for new model years, or just not putting your most competent people on OTAs.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have only used it once but I'm a fan of Mobile Service for these types of updates.
I submitted an online form to my dealer last night requesting Mobile Service (I also called the dealer yesterday afternoon and left a message just to ask in general about the recall: 23C38 UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE and the CSP 23B57 HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY MODULE REPLACEMENT ANDOR BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE BECM SOFTWARE UPDATE). Since I hadn't heard back from the dealer by ~11 am this morning, I called again requesting Mobile Service. I was told, "We don't do Mobile Service on those updates."

I chatted with a Ford rep online on the recall-details page offered for my VIN (https://www.ford.com/support/recalls-details/ -VIN here). The rep stated the following about Mobile Service performing the updates described above:

Kindly note it is up to the discretion of the Ford dealerships to participate in this program. Ultimately they will be able to confirm if they can perform this recall through the program.
When I suggested that there should be a Ford standard for Mobile Service, and it shouldn't be that an individual dealer can choose to perform a particular update or not via Mobile Service, she suggested as a remedy that I try to find another dealer who would perform the updates via Mobile Service.

The rep did confirm that both the Sync recall and the BECM software update were officially eligible to be applied via Mobile Service. Just the dealer's choice whether to go that route or not.

So, in summary, life is like a bunch of chocolates with @Ford Motor Company. You never know what you're going to pull out.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is what bothers me the most with the whole Ford software ordeal in general and listening to people defend Ford because they're not a software company. Ford sold people on their ability to roll out seamless updates and now even their CEO admits sometime last year that software is hard and they're still working out the kinks. I hate how they put the cart before the horse and still are nowhere close to having a solid software experience. This especially true in vehicles like the Lightning and Mach-e, people want them for the technology and futurism.

From Ford's own site about sync versions. +
https://www.ford.com/support/category/sync-and-technology/

Sync 2: The Benchmark (2011)
Sync 3: The Breakthrough (2016)
Sync 4: The Blueprint (2021)

They've been doing software for a long time now, they can't keep using the same excuse that they're a legacy automaker and not a software company while also advertising "simple software updates" etc. If they were transparent about their software issues, they'd sell less vehicles, so they lie and deceive.

Also, I have seen the reasoning why they're in the dilemma to begin with having separate teams working on different modules and all the integration that needs to be done to have everything work in the end. To me, it's not an excuse when they're still actively advertising how great their Sync 4 technology works.
So I know Ford says better is coming with the T3 - good integration, however this is also why I keep comparing to and showing Tesla. You don't have to like Tesla to go watch a reviewers video - go watch Out Of Spec first night with the Cybertruck if nothing else. That is what a GUI and integration should look like. The absolute insane speed at which the GUI responds and works is unheard of for any other make.

While Tesla has been building this for many years, the Cybertruck had a lot of new and dedicated config. To watch the real time speed at which it responds, is impressive. Since 2018, the Model 3, they've had it nailed. Even in the short time since then they've upgraded the computer 2 or 3 times already.

Ford and Farley are just banking on their buyers to continue to buy their vehicles over and over again. The competition is on their ass. The Cybertruck is ugly as hell, but the number that will start to look, evaluate and buy based on a better customer experience and daily quality of life using the vehicle will change. If you don't think so, you need to ask where the 2 million buyers for Tesla already came from and where the next few million are. They are not buying something else when they buy Tesla.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I just got the recall done: 23C38 UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE and the CSP 23B57 HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY MODULE REPLACEMENT ANDOR BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE BECM SOFTWARE UPDATE). Now on the update page its stuck on a download that says ford will update soon? Are we still in a holding state even after you get the update ?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Possibly, I haven't seen much of any activity on the OTA front since the holidays. Has anyone received any update this month?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My last update was 6.8.0, no indication as to when 6.13.0 will push to my truck, I'm under the assumption that it and other OTA's are on pause again.

There was a disturbance in the flow of production at the Rouge build weeks 1/15 & 1/22 .... might have something to do with what's what? Scheduling for 1/29 is back on track though, maybe we'll see a resumption of OTA roll outs as well

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So I know Ford says better is coming with the T3 - good integration, however this is also why I keep comparing to and showing Tesla. You don't have to like Tesla to go watch a reviewers video - go watch Out Of Spec first night with the Cybertruck if nothing else. That is what a GUI and integration should look like. The absolute insane speed at which the GUI responds and works is unheard of for any other make.

While Tesla has been building this for many years, the Cybertruck had a lot of new and dedicated config. To watch the real time speed at which it responds, is impressive. Since 2018, the Model 3, they've had it nailed. Even in the short time since then they've upgraded the computer 2 or 3 times already.

Ford and Farley are just banking on their buyers to continue to buy their vehicles over and over again. The competition is on their ass. The Cybertruck is ugly as hell, but the number that will start to look, evaluate and buy based on a better customer experience and daily quality of life using the vehicle will change. If you don't think so, you need to ask where the 2 million buyers for Tesla already came from and where the next few million are. They are not buying something else when they buy Tesla.
O.k. Ill bite. Im a two time Tesla Owner and Ill say about the only thing Tesla is better at than Ford is making the their cars have more little features here and there that at the end of the day are more for the kids than then actual person driving the car.

Here is one of the latest and greatest UI updates from Tesla:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.13.0 - Driver Facing Camera SW Improvement IMG_0534

I thought there was something wrong with the cameras, but apparently these are normal "blobs"

My issues with Ford are really Ford Pass and their updates that are hit or miss. But as far as the rest, it's set it and forget it.

Tesla as a car company isn't really that great. Let's take that same Cybertruck and it's "UI". Where is FSD and AP that people are paying thousands for? Teslas #1 selling point and it's not even priority for release? The 2 million buyers is a farce, and there are plenty of Tesla owners that have moved on to other brands selling EV's. The only reason I am back in a Tesla is because of the unbeatable price they had on a SR. If the Mach-E would have been priced that same I would have jumped on that instead. Tesla isn't all that (except their charging network) to be honest.

What Ford needs is a bunch of Social Media Stars pumping out videos on how great their EV's are and then maybe their stock will jump where fanboys will start to be created.

Budshark

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I received a power-up non sync related on 1/02 and as of yesterday I am now showing a failed update of 6.1. I charged to 90% and made sure the LVB was over 90% last night but did not get the update last night. So the wait continues but at least for my truck I see recent movement

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Reactions: GDN

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Looks like this SW update might have caused Drivers Camera issues, posting this here (started new thread) since it’s relevant

Anyone have this issue other than myself?

I haven’t really tried to use BC until the last couple of days. Adaptive cruise control works but BC is unavailable and it tells me there “Driver Monitor Camera Fault”

I know this means a trip to the dealer but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue

Found this relevant thread on the Mach-E forums and @Ford Motor Company knows there is an issue. This might be why updates have stopped?

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/update-6-13-0-caused-driver-monitor-camera-fault.32921/

Last edited: