• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Aaaaaand mine is back at the dealer. Reduced power as well as threw a powertrain faulut (wrench icon).

Back in a nice new 2024 F150 STX rental with 11 miles. Ironically bluecruise works just as good in this thing as the one in my Lightning.

Dealer said it'd be a week to get an update.

Sigh.
:(
Did you pull the DTC before you dropped it off?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Aaaaaand mine is back at the dealer. Reduced power as well as threw a powertrain faulut (wrench icon).

Back in a nice new 2024 F150 STX rental with 11 miles. Ironically bluecruise works just as good in this thing as the one in my Lightning.

Dealer said it'd be a week to get an update.

Sigh.
Sorry to see you in the repeat visitors club. How long between repairs for you?

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
February 24.

I had to bring it back in March because it ran out of coolant when they probably didn't bleed it correctly after a module replacement. Pulling out of the dealership, it lost half power again and threw a bunch of issues. I couldn't leave it because I didn't have the physical key. A couple key cycles later and it cleared it's faults. I've been driving it since until it once again did it on Saturday. So back in it went...

UFLightning

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Updated my vote as I joined the club yesterday :sadface:. I was charging at work, made it to my preset charge limit then I hit "Charge to 100%" in anticipation of a trip I'm taking today a few minutes later I received a charge fault and power train malfunction errors. Now I'm at 57% power available and the truck will no longer charge (level 2 is all I've tried). At least it didn't happen when I was out of town.

The purchasing dealer offered me an appointment on June 29th :cwl: with no loaner. Another dealer a bit further away can get me in next week and should have a loaner available, but I opened a case with the Ford BEV team just in case.

I'm at 13800 miles...
Update on my repair, the second dealer I contacted was able to get me in on 5/15 and provided me with a loaner gas F150. According to the final paperwork battery module #6 was bad, they ordered the replacement module, heat shield and thermal paste. The repair was completed on 6/6 , 22 days total in the shop (it seems that they had an issue with cell balancing that took an extra couple of days).

Everything seems to be back to normal, I appreciate the dealer getting me an appointment in a reasonable time and the loaner was definitely key for a repair of this length. The only gripe was the lack of communication during the process.

This has been an interesting experience to me as someone who is mechanically inclined, for the first time in my years of owning and working on cars I realized I don't understand what "broke", it's a weird feeling... It will be more difficult for me to get my confidence back for road trips.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Got the truck back after another 21 days in the dealer. It sat untouched for a while, then they completed the recalls for the BMS and "feature" where it wouldn't revert to Normal mode. TO address the powertrain fault, they dropped the battery and replaced the SOBDMA. The previous trip in they dropped the battery and replaced cell 6 (I think).

Fingers crossed this is the fix.

Also, fun fact. My gas F150 loaner was able to supercharge at Chevron to a range of 672 miles. It only actually goes 501 miles (with 10 miles DTE)... so they can't get it right in the vehicles they've been building for 100 years either.

Temix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting Lariat
My truck spent two months waiting for parts with the same issue. Funny enough, after getting Ford executives involved, the problem was resolved in a couple of days. They claim it was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with speeding up the process, but I find that a bit suspicious. :sunglasses:

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
My truck spent two months waiting for parts with the same issue. Funny enough, after getting Ford executives involved, the problem was resolved in a couple of days. They claim it was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with speeding up the process, but I find that a bit suspicious. :sunglasses:
Question for the “Yes now resolved” group: how many days was your truck out of commission? Thank you.

Temix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting Lariat
Question for the “Yes now resolved” group: how many days was your truck out of commission? Thank you.
~65 days.

In my case, this was one of the first Lightnings in Ontario, and the dealership had no idea what to do with it. I believe the current situation with dealership training and parts availability should be much better.

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
-15 days. Grappone Ford in Concord, NH has a top notch EV service team.

Sponsored

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good time to remind folks to update their vote as the situation develops
Agreed. I’d also like to see vote option showing how many are resolved via buyback/Lemon Law.

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update on mine: DAY 16: a lot of movement yesterday and the service manager wanted to take it home for an extended test drive after “replacing a wiring harness”. Charging it at 5 Kw at dealership now. They want to run more tests before giving it back to me today. They’re running out of hours and I told them I want all DTC’s, SSM’s, TSB’s, etc., cleared and all updates performed. Crickets since then…

Last edited:

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update on mine: DAY 16: a lot of movement yesterday and the service manager wanted to take it home for an extended test drive after “replacing a wiring harness”. Charging it at 5 Kw at dealership now. They want to run more tests before giving it back to me today. They’re running out of hours and I told them I want all DTC’s, SSM’s, TSB’s, etc., cleared and all updates performed. Crickets since then…
Update update: 45 minutes before they close, dealership calls and my truck is fixed. Bucket of codes cleared. Wire Asy Jumper part NL3Z14A411D replaced, 12v battery connections checked. Truck seems fine.
changing my vote to resolved.
Sponsored