• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Real life experience question

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Do you have experience towing a light load you would like to share? Or are you just here to throw negative stuff out there? Going through your post history that seems to be your vibe.
There's a vibe on this forum and @jmc6020 is a lot closer to it than this post.

There's also a search function.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JerEazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Harley, and Lightning incoming
There's a vibe on this forum and @jmc6020 is a lot closer to it than this post.

There's also a search function.
Umm alright… thanks?

search of the forum, google, and you tube brought up a lot of enclosed trailers, campers, 3500lb graders on 1500lb trailers. I did check before taking the time to join and posting on a forum for a vehicle I don’t even own.

think I got the answers I needed - Thank you everyone who helped.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Yeesh. You guys are worse than Grady White owners.

no need to ignore - I’ll see myself out.
You misread, I was letting you know that we have it, so you can ignore those you don't deem helpful. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I’ll see myself out.
I hope you stay around and share what you learn as you apply the knowledge gained, we're sharing our experiences, it's a two way street, value passed forward will improve the search algorithm results, while dead ending like this interaction won't.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Noone ever regrets buying an ER and wants to switch a SR after towing. The reverse cannot be said.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Noone ever regrets buying an ER and wants to switch a SR after towing. The reverse cannot be said.
Well not quite like that, but as somebody who only uses my truck locally (including towing), I can say that I enjoy the heck out of the $20,000 I saved buying the Pro SR as compared to upgrading to an XLT ER.

Lightning Pro SR meets all my needs.

(if they had made the Pro ER available to non-fleet buyers, I would have bought that configuration at the time, but now I am not even sure of that)

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
Well not quite like that, but as somebody who only uses my truck locally (including towing), I can say that I enjoy the heck out of the $20,000 I saved buying the Pro SR as compared to upgrading to an XLT ER.

Lightning Pro SR meets all my needs.

(if they had made the Pro ER available to non-fleet buyers, I would have bought that configuration at the time, but now I am not even sure of that)
Amen. I took the extra 20K from buying my Pro SR to buy myself a boat, so that's working out pretty good in my opinion. If you've got money to burn you can do what you want with it but to me 20K is a bunch. I don't do that many out of town trips, and if I do U-haul rents real nice ICE trucks for $19.95 a day plus mileage. They tow my boat fine.

Don't try to make the Lightning into something it's not, I knew when I bought it that it would not tow anything heavy more than 80 miles.

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Thank you! So I’m picking up that weight is less of the issue with range than the aero of the trailer
Weight has an impact but not as much as speed/aero. Generally speaking the extra weight ends up helping in local. With my 8000lb 25' trailer on mountain roads, I often get 1.7-2.0mi/kWh (aka minimal to no loss). That same 8000lb trailer get 1.3-1.7mi/kWh on the highway.

If I go rent an open 5x8 trailer with a big tail ramp from home depot, I'll can get as low as 1.0mi/kWh-1.2mi/kWh at highway speeds. Then on local it does nothing to help increase the regen because it's so light.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JerEazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You misread, I was letting you know that we have it, so you can ignore those you don't deem helpful. Sorry, should have been clearer.
Had to come back in to shut off alerts and saw this.

my apologies man. Read it wrong.

happy to say sealing the deal on a lariat ER.

OP
OP

JerEazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hope you stay around and share what you learn as you apply the knowledge gained, we're sharing our experiences, it's a two way street, value passed forward will improve the search algorithm results, while dead ending like this interaction won't.
I hear you.

OP
OP

JerEazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Weight has an impact but not as much as speed/aero. Generally speaking the extra weight ends up helping in local. With my 8000lb 25' trailer on mountain roads, I often get 1.7-2.0mi/kWh (aka minimal to no loss). That same 8000lb trailer get 1.3-1.7mi/kWh on the highway.

If I go rent an open 5x8 trailer with a big tail ramp from home depot, I'll can get as low as 1.0mi/kWh-1.2mi/kWh at highway speeds. Then on local it does nothing to help increase the regen because it's so light.
this is the way I go. I grab that 5x8 they have to drag the cart around when we’re traveling and can use it.

most of the places I stay for 2 days or so minimum and don’t really touch my truck for that time. So was trying to mentally figure if I could do that and handle the round trip just level 1 trickling for 24-48. Or if finding a level 2 while we are out of town. (or getting a long RV extension cord and tapping into the dryer outlet… kidding… for now) would be necessary to avoid the mid trip stop.

hope that makes sense.

it sounds like with the ER that’ll work. Maybe not. Happy to say we’re finishing up on a Lariat ER. So next time I make that trip, I’ll post up and let people know.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
happy to say sealing the deal on a lariat ER.
That's awesome! The lightning is my first time driving a truck and EV. I've been so impressed I don't think I'll ever need to buy another vehicle.